Don't trust things with chips in them

Observations on servicing costs, mpg, wear & tear, breakdowns and experiences on the road

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

Don't trust things with chips in them

Postby Herzeg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:32 pm

Since getting my S2 converted to RHD and putting new SU's on, it has been a steady process of bedding the carbs in and getting it running properly but I have been plagued by a misfire that comes on at around 2500-3000rpm under heavy acceleration.

Took her down to a rolling road yesterday that involved a 70 mile journey from North London down to Gatwick. They guy balanced the carbs and got that sorted but decided the misfire was due to the electronic ignition misfiring and burning the coil out. Tried it with an old coil he had and got it to rev to 4,000 but now going to try going back to points. Surreal feeling watching your car doing 100+ whilst standing still, even more so when the "driver" gets out :scratchheadyellow: The good news is I now know that my engine is good and producing the right power and torque. Worth doing.

The point of this story is it was a good chance to take a run out before the weather turns. It was cold first thing so broke my rule of "if it's not raining why have the top up". Working around the occasional misfires, I gave her a damn good thrashing around the North Circular, M25 and then down the back roads to the tuner. Coming back I decided to beat the rush hour and belted up the M23, M25 and A40 back to north London. Not the quiet country roads to enjoy with the top down but a really good high speed run which proves you can enjoy an E-Type, even on the M25. Anyone who was on the afore mentioned roads yesterday, I was the red blur that went past :swerve:

It put a smile on my face.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

Re: Don't trust things with chips in them

Postby phil.dobson@mac.com » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Great stuff. who is the outfit near Gatwick?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

Postby Herzeg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:19 pm

Phil

They're called Classic and Race and are in Burstow. They run race cars and the guy is not easy to contact but knows his stuff.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Postby Nickleback » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:20 am

Hi John,
Good to hear Andy looked after you - interesting workshop & stock ?
So, was it the electronic ignition that had the issue / fault which then damaged the coil and are you using a Pertronix setup ?
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Postby Gfhug » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:31 am

John, did they give you any figures you'd like to share? 265bhp, or a little less?

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

Postby Herzeg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:58 am

Mike - It was a real rabbit warren of cars I hadn't seen in a long time and quite interesting. He told me how he was given a flat floor E-Type when a relative died about 30yrs ago. He tried to sell it going as low as £1k but finally sold it auction for £9k. he said he saw it recently sell for £380k at auction :seeingstars:

It was a pertronix ignition and he thinks it wrecked the coil by misfiring. With another coil it was better but you could see the problem quite clearly

Geoff - He told me that he expected around 140bhp at the wheels at 4500rpm. Mine was giving 136.3 at 4100rpm so he said it would have been 140+ if it could have revved high enough. He said my engine was good and had good torque. Torque peaked at 190 at 3100rpm. What surprised me was the difference between flywheel power and power at the wheels. Is there a formula for calculating driveline losses?

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

Postby malcolm » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

I have "Powerspark" fitted, a hall effect system. I had the same - wouldn't run above 4000 rpm. It was interference from the copper leads affecting the electronic unit. Fitted silicone leads and the problem dissappeared.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

Postby Gfhug » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:35 am

John, that's interesting to read, especially (!) that flat floor car :wow:

Some people come up with quotes for losses through the transmission to get to flywheel power, but I believe it's black art not science.
IIRC I was told my car showed 160 hp at 4000 rpm, but never did get the results (or the bill :lol: ) so nothing definite to compare with yours or to confirm my memory or whether he meant that was equivalent flywheel HP.
Did they give you any AFR data? All interesting to learn.

Cheers

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

Postby Nickleback » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:20 pm

John,

Is the Pertronix repairable / replaceable as it probably came from Martin @ DD & should be under warranty ?

When my car went on Andy's rolling road after the full rebuild when new in standard spec with SU's correctly setup & air cleaner on, it did 142.34 PkHP @ 4200 rpm & PkTq 196.00 @ 3300 rpm all measured at the wheels, so an interesting comparison to confirm what he said.
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herzeg
Great Britain

Postby Herzeg » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:28 pm

Mike

In my naivety it seems I bought a good one with a strong engine and no rust :bigrin: Interesting how close my figures are to yours without a rebuild.

Malcolm - I have new silicon leads so not the problem.

Geoff - They gave me AFR data but didn't like to ask what it meant :questionmarks: It seemed good and he was happy so I just moved on to the bill :lol: I'll post it over the weekend.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Return to “E-Type Running Reports”