XKE Data

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
JerryL770
Great Britain

#1 XKE Data

Post by JerryL770 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:56 pm

Should I put my car details etc. on XKE Data?

Is there any risk or downside? ,....... or even an upside?
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: XKE Data

Post by Gfhug » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, you don't have to give every detail. If the sad thing happened and your car was stolen then the serial numbers of the car, body, gearbox and engine will be there for the good guys to be aware of if a wrong un gets listed on somewhere like fleabay

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
JerryL770
Great Britain

#3 Re: XKE Data

Post by JerryL770 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:17 am

Thanks Geoff :salute:
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#4 Re: XKE Data

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:31 am

Dear All,

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, however I feel I should raise a concern I have over the XKE Data website by relating a recent experience.

I recently bought an E type that had been advertised on ebay. Before purchase I checked the XKE Data website and at that time there was no record for the car.

A few weeks following purchase an unkown person (not the sellar) created a record for the car on XKE Data using information from the ebay advertisement. Unfortunately this included a photo of the Jaguar Heritage Certificate. I have two gripes:

1. Security: Full details of the car are now permanently within the public domain. If the cars was replicated elsewhere using the data from the heritage certificate I have no additional information (such as say the gearbox number) by which I might be able to prove that mine is the original car.
2. Privacy: How can it be right that any third party individual can post detailed information (in this case all the matching numbers), whether true or otherwise, without the subject vehicle owners knowledge or consent?

I fully understand that the intention of the site is to create a historical record of the car, but what is added and by whom is very slack, and without the option to edit/ take down false information (unless it in breach of copyright).

It states on the XKE Data website to think carefully before adding photos. But how to stop someone else doing the thinking for me! For sure the person that created the record did not have ownership of the photos (ebay perhaps?). I have requested XKE Data website to at least take down the photo of the heritage certificate but I am not very hopeful.

Any comments/ advice welcome. Kris
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#5 Re: XKE Data

Post by PeterCrespin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:54 am

Unless you never drive the car out of your garage or lift the bonnet, it is in public view and fair game. Even photos if put online by you or someone else.

It’s the secretive cars with no ID or provenance that hopefully get frozen out when all the kosher cars are listed. This does not extend to address details IMO and I have more reservations about this forum’s map feature than about XKEdata.com
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: XKE Data

Post by mgcjag » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:16 am

Hi Kris...are we talking about your early 68fhc.....you posted you vin here a while ago...just looked on xke data at the photos and there is no heritage cert photo......or do you have another E type......as far as im aware heritage certificates can now be obtained by anyone..you do not have to own the car....someone will correct me if im wrong....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#7 Re: XKE Data

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:22 am

Hi Steve/ Peter,

Many thanks for your replies. The car is 1E35641. So yes I am for now owner of two E types.

I am not sure when I will ever finish the S2 but the S1.5 car I will wax it up and get on the road for the summer and (hopefully) just enjoy driving it. Maybe it will inspire me to finish the S2....

With regard to Peters comments, this is basically saying - they are going to get the data eventually so you may as well give it all to them now! Whilst transparency is one way to go, there are also good arguments for providing just the VIN without the other numbers. Jaguar Heritage as I understand only confirm numbers. They don´t give out missing numbers (such as gearbox/ body number). Even the original poster to the thread indicated that best not supply all the information.

On a personal note, I had recently taken some photos of the car outside and was looking forward to creating the new record myself with the new photos. I feel a bit robbed of the satisfaction of doing this :sad:

Kris
S2 FHC, S1.5 FHC
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#8 Re: XKE Data

Post by Bfastr » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:03 pm

"creating the new record myself with the new photos. I feel a bit robbed of the satisfaction of doing this"

Kris,

I dont see why you shouldnt or wouldnt start flooding the site with YOUR pictures. pictures of your progress, details. action pics. any thing. all the pictures are dated as to when entered, so what if someone put up a pic first, when I look at XKEData I enjoy seeing old pics compared to new ones. I even go back and look at my own early pics to remind myself how far I have come. ( and how fast time flies )

a Lot of people, myself included like to see the original and old pics compared to the restoration or clean up.
I post a pic of my odometer every Jan 1st. maybe 30 years from now the next owner will appreciate things like that.

I would be honored if someone stumbled on my car at a show or in a parking lot and uploaded a picture.
other than if it ends up on ebay or BaT I doubt a lot of people outside of internet forums even knows about XKEdata.

so start uploading !

Bob F
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#9 Re: XKE Data

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm

I am in the middle of a fairly high-profile exchange between JDHT and JCNA with regard to certificates based on North American archives versus Gaydon's. I won't go into detail here but they are quite open about supplying certificates to anyone who hands over fifty quid or whatever, on the same basis as HPI checks are freely available to whoever wants one. What they deny vehemently is giving anything other than the chassis number on that kind of certificate.

For the typical four-number certificate, they insist that they operate strictly on a 'confirm or deny' basis for any numbers supplied to them. They NEVER fill in any blanks.

Sadly, I wrote only yesterday enclosing an email from one of his staff that states they routinely supply the missing numbers to anyone who shows them a V5 or title, which is often traders or amateurs who just flip parts or incomplete cars for profit... Thusly are fat profits made, when a mere shell turns into a JDHT-supplied clone recipe of numbers to stamp on block and head, plus new body tag and gearbox top.

If anyone here has received a certificate with one or more "Originally XYZ1234" numbers added, on the basis of a request made using only the Car Number/VIN, please PM me.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic