Dropbox

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 Dropbox

Post by Heuer » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:46 pm

Dropbox, the secure document sharing site, have changed the way things work on accounts created before 2012. Basically they are deprecating the 'Public' folder which means that after 16th March 2017 the links from that folder will not work. :banghead:

I have spent most of today changing all the Dropbox links in the Forum KB to the new format so there will be no problem accessing the material if you need it. However the old links have been copied/pasted into about 180 posts and I don't feel the urge to go through them all and make the edits. If you happen across a post with a "https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/xxxx" link in it that does not work let me know and I will edit it, otherwise go to the KB for the live link. If you use Dropbox for sharing documents or photos you should check to see if you are affected by visiting their web site or Forums: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Sharing ... 906#M11718

If none of this makes sense then you are not affected so need not worry - the KB is safe!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#2 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:55 pm

It seems I cannot see any pictures from Dropbox anymore but I can see pictures if David (Heuer) post them as I believe he uses a different app?
When I try and download the latest version of drop box it will not do so as my IPad is an old iPad 2.

Anybody got any clues as to what I can do as I am missing any pictures being posted. I can see them on my iPhone still.

Ps : what is the KB and where do I find it to go to it .????
Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Dropbox

Post by christopher storey » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:26 am

Tony : KB is the Knowledge base , and is found by going to the Board Index at the top left of this screen . Click on that and the KB is the top item that appears

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Dropbox

Post by mgcjag » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:42 am

Hi Tony....just to add to what Christopher has said you do need to be logged in to the forum to see all the sections..Knowledge base tnen being the top one......If something isnt working on one of you devices but is on others then ist a device problem......sounds like you need the brand kids around tbey are the "tech" experts :bigrin: all the best.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#5 Re: Dropbox

Post by Heuer » Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:33 am

Tony

We use Dropbox for document downloads. You do not need a Dropbox account although if you do sign up please mention my email address as a referral so we are gifted more storage space. We are about to run out so no new documents will be put up for members to see!

For photos I advise the use of IMGUR which is a free image hosting service and allows you to create folders of your photos, not only for this Forum but for family and friends. I have also included a link to the Postimage photo hosting service - a blue 'P' at the bottom of the editor page - which uploads your photos and automagically puts a link into your post.

I have limited faith in Postimage as there is no way to sort or edit your photos, once they are uploaded they are gone from your view. Postimage has already once changed their server addresss which caused up problems with photos not appearing and involving Steve and I in a lot of editing. Their service is flaky at times and the 'P' disappears along with the images until their servers are reset - happened earlier this week which is what you probably experienced. If their business model ( :shrug: fails then all your photos will be gone for good from the Forum. Think Collectors corner with many blank pages amongst the photos, member restorations/tutorials with no accompanying photos.

None of the photos or documents are stored on our server. We do have an 'attachments' function which does allow stuff to be uploaded to our server but I am about to disable it as it is eating into our disk space allocation.

All members - please use IMGUR for photo hosting and linking.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#6 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:01 am

Thank you for you help on this. Hopefully if members start using IMGUR I will start seeing the photos again. Don''t suppose someone could send me a picture using IMGUR to see if I can see pictures that have been sent using the IMGUR host site.

Dropbox seem to have been messing around to much for my old iPads to keep up. Thanks again.
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#7 Re: Dropbox

Post by Gfhug » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:33 am

Tony, imgur image sent to you

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#8 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:37 am

Hi Geoff, was a image attached to this post. I cannot see it or the little blue box suggesting an image has been sent?
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#9 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:43 am

Me again Geoff, Cancel my last post. I did not realise you had sent in messages. The photo came through loud and clear. Nice car, is that yours?
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#10 Re: Dropbox

Post by Gfhug » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:46 am

Tony, yes, our car and a friends very early Austin Mini Cooper. Glad the image arrived, hopefully you can feel confident to use imgur

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#11 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:28 pm

That leads to a second question. Do I have to down load the IMGUR app to send photos. If I use the forum attachments the photo is too large but does not give me the opportunity to send a smaller version. Sorry for being so thick but I get a bit lost with all the different apps one needs to have to send a photo.

Tony
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#12 Re: Dropbox

Post by Gfhug » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:09 am

Tony, my photos are quite large but are automatically sized for forums by imgur. Select a photo, then click on the option that copies for forums and then use that link in your post here on the forum.
I know David has shown how to do it and a search for imgur under his name may well bring up his screenshots of how it is done.

Found this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16489&p=135433&hili ... ck#p135433

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#13 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:26 pm

Test picture to see if I could post an image by using the little blue P. “Next to Add image to post”just below the text box. Now that was not there the other day, so why has it popped up now?
It was via Dropbox with a resize option.

I do down load the IMGar app and tried to post the above picture but drop box jumped in before it.

And another good thing is I can see every bodies photos again.
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#14 Re: Dropbox

Post by Heuer » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:44 am

When the Postimage server fails (frequently!) the blue P does not appear in the editor screen because the service is not available. All photos put into posts using Postimage will not display and a small image icon or error message will appear. Nothing I can do until the server comes back on line.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#15 Re: Dropbox

Post by Tony » Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks David, I appreciate you are having to deal with a poor image app.

Thanks for the help
Tony (E typed)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic