Battery Charger

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#1 Battery Charger

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:52 pm

Well it's that time of year again to remove the cover, connect up the battery and start the car. Well I managed the first two but completely failed with the third step.
The battery had been on an intelligent charger all winter and it had indicated everything was healthy. Unfortunately it had partially gassed three of the cells. Hopefully the damage isn't terminal. Admittedly the charger was living on borrowed time since I ran over it with the E-Type several years ago. Yes it does sound implausible but I thought I'd left one of the wheel chocks in place and kept reversing.
However I digress, I'm now looking for a replacement preferably one with a booster pack included.
Recommendations please.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#2 Re: Battery Charger

Post by JagWaugh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:27 am

Alan,

I am partial to the CTEK. With a stable like yours you can order a separate connector and permanently wire it into each car, allowing you to move the charger from car to car very quickly.

If your batteries are anywhere near healthy, the cars have no unusual parasitic drain, and your weather mostly above zero, then one charger will maintain about 4 cars if you just move the charger to the next car in the line every month or so.

I know a guy who has a 20 car stable, stored in an unheated space (winters here are not particularly harsh, but they do get below zero for extended periods). He has 3 chargers, and he moves them once a month during the layup. With the quick connect, it only takes a few seconds to move the charger. For cars where the battery is in an enclosed space he removes the battery to avoid the gasses accumulating, but for the others he just leaves the bonnet or boot open enough to allow some circulation but still fits a soft dustcover on the car.

I would get a separate booster pack. (that way if you run over one or the other you can still charge/boost a battery).

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stuart Exelby
Great Britain

#3 Re: Battery Charger

Post by Stuart Exelby » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:32 am

Alan, I'm sure others will have greater and more technical knowledge, but I use an Optimate charger.... had no problems so far and would buy another.
1967 Series 1 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Battery Charger

Post by Heuer » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:00 am

I have had 3 CTEK's fail on me and they are hugely expensive. I now use Ring chargers exclusively: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6V-12v-4A-Ele ... Swo4pYUXEs

Never had a failure.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#5 Re: Battery Charger

Post by JagWaugh » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:49 pm

Heuer wrote:I have had 3 CTEK's fail on me and they are hugely expensive...
They certainly aren't cheap.

Of the 30 or so that I have ordered/had people order, only one has failed, but that was a Lithium one, just when they came out, and it was DOA - the supplier replaced it without any question.

I will admit that I seem to lead a charmed life when it comes to electronics. Last week an 11 year old LCD screen died, but after 11 years of 24/7 usage I can't really complain.

Regardless of which Mfr., I like the idea of a hardwired connector. Even my Ex wife could manage it... with some telephone support.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#6 Re: Battery Charger

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for all the replies. I looked at the CTEK option but then realised that I had long service vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. So I bought a Ring charger from Halford's(one up for you David).
This cost the princely sum of £100 which is more than I would have paid if it wasn't for the vouchers. I also liked the fact it had a flat start mode which might have been required if the battery had been damaged. Fortunately the car started almost on the first turn of the key and settled into a nice idle-well chuffed with that.
But and there's always a but the brake fluid warning light stayed on. I'll start another thread for that.

Thanks Again

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

brent07n
United States of America

#7 Re: Battery Charger

Post by brent07n » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:53 am

Never had an issue with my ctek. I got it from 4 wheel online before. Have this charger for more than two years now, and it still works flawlessly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: Battery Charger

Post by malcolm » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:19 am

I'm another optimate fan. Used one on m,y bike, (bikes are notorious for burning batteries) and I had the same bike battery for 11 years. The on on my E is now 12 years old and working fine. All maintained by Optimate
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#9 Re: Battery Charger

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Lidl are currently selling a brilliant charger/conditioner for around £14. I've got one and will probably buy a couple more for the other cars.
Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic