Stolen OEW S1

Talk about E-Types here

cactusman
Great Britain

#21 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by cactusman » Mon May 15, 2017 4:44 pm

And if anyone is annoyed by the steering wheel post I am sorry but to me, unless the Wheel and boss are matched then the concept has an extremely obvious vulnerability that will be exploited by any thief ....anyone who thinks removing their wheel makes their car safe is, I am afraid, wrong.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#22 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Hi Julian....dont think anyone is saying that a removable steering wheel makes there car safe..its just another obstical to overcome......at the end of the day even with a tracker and whatever other security you had on your car it still got stolen....fortunatly you got it back.....but dont keep knocking suggestions that others make...it all helps..best advice agreed insurance and dont worry...after all there is more chance of a car being totaled in an accident than stolen
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#23 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by cactusman » Mon May 15, 2017 6:18 pm

Keep knocking is a bit harsh. I defended disklok that others dismissed. To me it is a much more robust deterrent that a removable wheel. I just think that unless the wheel is keyed to the boss then really it is so easy to defeat....nobody would buy a lock that had a universal key. I have a fuel cut off. I have a disklok...the krooklock type thing that goes around the wheel spokes was cut off in my in in incident. I am not saying anything is bad...anything is better than the original Lucas ign switch and door locks....fit as many devices as you think practical and meet your individual needs.....just be aware of their shortcomings and don't rely on just one method...have two or three.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#24 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by andrewh » Mon May 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Try a Concrete Block! I have a friend who has inherited a DB5 from his Dad. He kept it in his barn at home in Kent and used it special days. Its a nice ordinary working DB5 not a garage queen. A month back he got a call from the local plod. They had arrested a thief who, attempting to mitigate his likely sentence, offered the news that he knew about a plot to steal the DB5 within 48 hours. It was close to the Coast and was planned to be in a container and out of the country in no time. I wonder if its the same crew who stole the E type from outside the hotel in Dover? Either way, he has now moved it to a local farm and parked a 3 ton concrete block in front of it. Scares one rigid doesn't it?
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#25 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by Durango2k » Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 pm

And he still might look into a gun one day driving it and be forced to leave it ASAP.

There's a buddistic quote daying that somehow your property owns you, not the other way round.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#26 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 15, 2017 7:14 pm

Heres the lock i can fit when i remove my steering wheel to prevent someone that comes along with the same fitting and wants to drive off..however i dont use one....not all quick release steering wheels are the same

Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#27 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by Nickleback » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 pm

zigzagsky wrote:
politeperson wrote:
You can then give the police the location the phone and hopefully the car of it within 10m.

Happy days?
Sadly using the GSM triangulation system alone is probably only accurate to within 1/2 - 3/4 mile since it relies on relative signal strength from nearby cells and not GPS AFAIK.

Nevertheless, it would probably be useful in locating the car if the thieves stole it and stored in in a barn in a remote area.
GSM triangulation is down to the size of the cell not down to any mileage parameter. Th cell size is governed by the antenna settings and the network operator coverage required by the network for that particular area with directional or omni directional antenna.
It is focussed by what the area needs to get coverage and the signal requirements of the network owner.
IE: Depending on area, GSM cells can be very small (central london) or very large (scotland & wales)
The cell network software can triangulate where the signal last was but it can vary hugeley on size & accuracy.

So it is a guide at best but not the most accurate solution. The emergency system for the police ACCOLC is the best solution built but not for this purpose !
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#28 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by cactusman » Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 pm

Steve...that is the solution to the wheel issue....if the quick release one came with that I'd buy one in a heartbeat. :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#29 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by mgcjag » Mon May 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Hi Julian....its an option....I fitted an NRG quick release to my wheel.....The lock shown above just prevents someone slotting there adaptor in.....total cost with the lock about £175..... personally i only use the quick release to ease getting in and out of the car....the theft deterant is secondry.....my personal attitude is if it gets pinched i will get another.....its just a car
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#30 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by christopher storey » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm

Just resuscitating this thread for a moment, I sat opposite the owner of this car at lunch today . It has never been recovered, and the Police believe that it was stolen to order and taken off to Eastern Europe in a covered wagon . A terrible shame, and he had had it 16 years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#31 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by cactusman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm

Terribly sad....I am afraid I reckon the police are right.....it may eventually surface somewhere so really important to make sure the chassis number etc are known to the authorities and maybe auction houses.....just in case a car bearing some or all the numbers pops up for auction in a few years time....a forlorn hope but they did find one recently that had been pinched in the USA 49 years earlier....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peris1986
United States of America

#32 Re: Stolen OEW S1

Post by Peris1986 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:32 pm

There is actually a way to secure yourself and always be sure about your car location all the time. I'm pretty sure there are some devices or software like facebook spy app with tracking features.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic