Pippa's Wedding Car

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
rfs1957
France

#1 Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by rfs1957 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:40 pm

Looks like we backed the right horse, lads.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/05/ ... 178525.jpg

However, as this may speak volumes about the sincerity of their vows, I am deeply concerned that whilst the fit between the chrome side-trim and the windscreen rubber on their car is better than on my car, the trimming of the rubber in the top chrome channel leaves a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately for me, the latter is somewhat easier to fix than the former.

PS I see this was 77RW in fact. What did I expect.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Sat May 20, 2017 10:50 pm

Yes 77 RW, conservatively estimated to be worth £1,000,000 but probably more given there were 12 LWE's at £7m per piece and this was the very first OTS to appear to the public at Geneva. Nice repost to Kate's Aston Martin though!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#3 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Moeregaard » Sun May 21, 2017 2:39 pm

Nice to see that Pippa's married a guy who can use a manual gearbox--and a Moss 'box at that. Not many folks of his age on this side of the pond can do this, and the clutch pedal is now becoming known as a theft deterrent.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Sun May 21, 2017 3:47 pm

Almost all learner drivers pass their driving test in a manual gearbox car because if you sit the test in an auto you are not allowed to drive one with a stick. Also almost all small engined cars that a youngster would be allowed to drive, insurance wise, are manuals. So that old adage "spare the stick, spoil the child" really does apply in real life :bigrin:

As an aside I reckon anyone hiring out an E-Type for weddings is going to make a killing over the next couple of years!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#5 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Hugo » Sun May 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Not any more - you can take your test in an auto and get a licence for a manual transmission. Even with commercials. When I took my PSV (Public Service Vehicle) test many years ago, it was in a crash-box Leyland double-decker. If you wanted to drive a double-decker, you had to take your test in one - it was a different classification. Then when we went over to EU licensing system, they did away with that requirement, which is why you get so many bridge-strikes these days. Now, you can take your test in an automatic single decker and drive anything. I have been given a licence to drive an articulated bus, even though I've never even set foot in one. I have had drivers come to me who have no idea how to do a hill start with a manual box, yet they have a full licence. Same in America - I took my commercial drivers' license in an automatic articulated truck, which gave me a license to drive a crash-box artic (semi). I own a couple of trucks in Florida with 13 speed crash gearboxes - lovely to drive. American drivers don't use the clutch except for pulling away, and they tend to go through every gear as it's easier to judge. Can't be much good for fuel consumption though.
Poor old Pippa is being totally ignored in this thread I see!
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Sun May 21, 2017 5:09 pm

You are confusing commercial vehicles with private cars: https://www.gov.uk/automatic-driving-licence-to-manual

If you pass using an auto you need to retake the test in a manual, although not vice versa. You do not however need to re-take the written test.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#7 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Hugo » Sun May 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Really? I thought it applied to all vehicles. My apologies. Bizarre that it should apply to commercials and not cars, isnt it?
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vikla
Great Britain

#8 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by vikla » Sun May 21, 2017 6:04 pm

Going back to 77RW, I wonder how you get to borrow it...
I see it is on long term loan to Jaguar Heritage Trust - http://jaguarheritage.com/t/collection_012
The phone will be ringing tomorrow, 'my daughter's getting married soon, any chance of having it for the day...'

Interesting comment about its long-term owner, Mike Kilgannon, and Jaguar in this Piston Heads post by a guy who's dad is a friend of Kilgannonhttps://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/top ... &t=1029833.
He owns it but he got Jaguar to pay for the restoration. Is that generally understood to be the case?
Steve
S1 4.2 FHC 1966

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#9 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Sun May 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Yes. I recall Mike loaned 77 RW to JHT although I can't remember the conditions. It was restored by Martin Robey, I guess as a marketing strategy for them, and handed over to the then JDHT, now JHT, for display. When I first saw the car many years ago it had a fibreglass bonnet and looked really sad. Got to hand it it Mike, he made the right decision to loan and restore.

Regardless it deserves to be owned by Jaguar, as does 9600 HP IMHO.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by christopher storey » Sun May 21, 2017 9:06 pm

I think you will find that it is the other way round. The car is owned now by the JHT but is loaned for his lifetime to Kilgannon. When Kilgannon owned it it was an absolute wreck, and IIRC the deal was that the ( then ) JDHT funded the restoration on condition that it owned the car, but Kilgannon should have access to it. If you have seen it, it is not in fact a particularly distinguished car, sadly

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#11 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by chrisfell » Sun May 21, 2017 9:29 pm

I read that it was more like it is on permanent loan to Jaguar Heritage. Someone knows the truth.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#12 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 pm

What Christopher says has more of a ring of truth than my recollections. And as he says the restoration, by today's standards, is not that good. On the other hand neither is 9600 HP but as we learn more (front side lights, HT conduits, coils, tyre valves etc ) it is hardly surprising.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#13 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by cactusman » Mon May 22, 2017 12:08 pm

Still doubtless there will be queues forming to hire an e type for weddings...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#14 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by chrisfell » Mon May 22, 2017 2:55 pm

christopher storey wrote:I think you will find that it is the other way round. The car is owned now by the JHT but is loaned for his lifetime to Kilgannon. When Kilgannon owned it it was an absolute wreck, and IIRC the deal was that the ( then ) JDHT funded the restoration on condition that it owned the car, but Kilgannon should have access to it. If you have seen it, it is not in fact a particularly distinguished car, sadly
I saw the car not long after its resto, about 15 years ago or so. It was very well done then. Not surprising that today, after many outings in the hands of 2metre tall motor mouths and well connected minor celebs it is showing signs of age and of use.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

#15 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Alty Ian » Mon May 22, 2017 3:31 pm

I see 77RW quite often as live not far away. The car is on permanent loan (when he dies JLR get it) to JLR who also maintain it. He paid £400 for it in 1967, its doors were welded shut due to rust then. He had financial issues which meant the deal suited both parties. Mike can use it whenever JLR dont want it and he often turns up at shows when he feels like it. It was also used by Mark Webber for his wedding btw.

Its condition is pretty good even now, older restoration but well maintained by JLR.
Here is Steve with it last summer.
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#16 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Heuer » Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

I saw it in the late 70's/early '80's and it had a fibreglass bonnet and awful metallic green paint although it had a card on it explaining it was the first OTS. It was pretty dilapidated so I think Mike did the right thing by coming to an arrangement with JDHT, as it was back then.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#17 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Simon P » Mon May 22, 2017 3:52 pm

Typical men! All this discussion about the car, and not one comment on the bride's dress or her hair....

:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#18 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Mark Gordon » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Simon P wrote:Typical men! All this discussion about the car, and not one comment on the bride's dress or her hair....

:bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
As I recall from her sister's wedding, Pippa's best "asset" is not her hair nor her dress.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

#19 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by 38E » Mon May 22, 2017 4:35 pm

christopher storey wrote: When Kilgannon owned it it was an absolute wreck, and IIRC the deal was that the ( then ) JDHT funded the restoration on condition that it owned the car, but Kilgannon should have access to it. If you have seen it, it is not in fact a particularly distinguished car, sadly
There is an interesting article about the car and how Kilgannon managed to obtain it in the April/May 1991 edition of Jaguar Quarterly Magazine (E-Type Souvenir Edition). Several pictures of it in its unrestored condition at Kilgannon's farm. I guess it still drove because Norman Dewis was there and took it for a spin.

Anyway, it looked pretty rough then. I don't think the bonnet was fibreglass but the wings looked like they were held on with layers of painted over duct tape. Apparently, Jaguar sold it off fairly soon in 1962 and it kicked around in the motor trade for a few years until 1967 when it was advertised for sale in Motor Sport by a Swindon dealer for 450 pounds. actually, quite inexpensive at the time.
Clive, 1962 Coupe 860320
(sold)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#20 Re: Pippa's Wedding Car

Post by Simon P » Mon May 22, 2017 9:16 pm

In fairness to the groom (Whose name is? ...Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :bigrin: ) given the choice of things he'd like to have on his wedding day, he plumped for driving off in an E-type and having a flypast by a Spitfire. Can't be all bad :bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic