Scam alert!

Talk about E-Types here

christopher storey
Great Britain

#21 Re: Scam alert!

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:04 pm

FLYV wrote:You can find my car on XKEDATA under 889270.
Perhaps FLYV would get a less sceptical reaction if he would answer the point made earlier of why, if the car at the workshop he refers to exists , the seller has used photographs of a different car presently in the USA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FLYV
Slovakia

#22 Re: Scam alert!

Post by FLYV » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:26 pm

christopher storey wrote:
FLYV wrote:You can find my car on XKEDATA under 889270.
Perhaps FLYV would get a less sceptical reaction if he would answer the point made earlier of why, if the car at the workshop he refers to exists , the seller has used photographs of a different car presently in the USA
are you sure we are talking about the same car?dont know if someone else uses the photos of the car but I definitely was standing next to the red series 1.5 2+2
Marek
63 FHC
69 OTS
1987 911 CARRERA

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#23 Re: Scam alert!

Post by cactusman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:59 pm

To reply to Hugo. Yes. Stpallas has been on eBay for years selling (or more likely acting as a middle man) mostly "rusty but running" or barn find wrecks for restoration from the US of A. Over the time I have watched him he has offered the odd more pristine car. Only recently has he branched out to Europe. In fact the first ad I saw from Europe made me think he had had his eBay ID cloned . However he has now offered a couple of cars, mostly located in Greece, Croatia and that area...and they have been (or claimed to be) restored. One was recently offered at auction here although it failed to sell...mentioned here on an earlier post as being not a brilliant restoration.
I don't think anyone here would say that anyone and everyone from Eastern Europe was a scammer. Sadly though there are scammers out there and some do come from abroad just as they
come from the UK as well ...we had the one who offered two or three cars in Elgin up in Scotland while they were working abroad. There was a detailed article in the E type magazine recently dealing with scams, one of which did appear to come from the Greece/Croatia part of the world although I seem to remember mention of a Scandinavian link too. Offering nice cars at below market prices that are located far from the UK does sound alarm bells. And Eastern Europe is a long way from the UK if one has to go see the car.....which the scammers want to avoid as it does not exist. So sadly FLYV, nice cars from far flung places that E types were not routinely exported to in large numbers will sound alarm bells I am afraid.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#24 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:08 pm

Something sounds not quite Kosher, doesn't it. Going off at a bit of a tangent, I try to avoid talking about 'East Europeans', because the cultures of the various countries are so very different. Poles, for instance, are generally highly regarded; Romanians perhaps not so. My father was an ethnic German from Romania and he had a very low regard for the native Romanians. Having said that, most Romanians I have met in this country have been delightful people. The culture of the country is perhaps less than enviable.
But I would be very wary of cars that seem to have inexplicably ended up in faraway places and are offered at bargain basement prices.
Hugo Miller - rebuilding an imported Series II OTS & converting to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#25 Re: Scam alert!

Post by cactusman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:45 pm

Agree Hugo. Some of the nicest people I have met come from places far from the UK...India, Portugal, Romania, Ukraine, Poland, Russia to name but a few....and some of the most unpleasant i have come across came from the UK..
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#26 Re: Scam alert!

Post by christopher storey » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:16 am

FLYV wrote:
are you sure we are talking about the same car?dont know if someone else uses the photos of the car but I definitely was standing next to the red series 1.5 2+2
I think you have put your finger on it. The thread was about a car from Greece, but someone else mentioned one from Slovakia, and the two have become confused with each other

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#27 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 pm

I just got my copy af the E Type magazine today, so this story may already be familiar to some readers; an E Type owner got a call from a friend asking if his car was for sale. Owner said no, it is with a restorer and definitely not for sale. Apparently it was advertised on a number of websites with some spiel about it being on its way from the USA to Antwerp. A deposit (or full payment of course) would secure the car.
I had a not dissimilar experience with a 1959 Oldsmobile I am looking at in the States. It is on eBay at a sensible price $38,000, but I did a bit of Googling and found several pictures of the same car (easy to spot as it has six headlamps instead of four - my friend says that makes it look like a spider from the front!). There are several generic sites 'Top classic cars' was one I believe which also had this car listed in various places at silly prices $5,000 or $6,000. I called one of the 'sellers' who told me, rather crossly, that he had indeed sold that car last year for a sensible price (high $20's he said), and had no idea how it came to be listed still and he was fed up with people enquiring about it. I told him I thought maybe the $5,000 price was a starting bid but he said he never auctioned it - it was a straight sale. Another 'vendor' had the same car listed for a similarly low price ($6,000-odd) but I decided not to waste his time and mine by calling him. It looks as though these generic sales platforms are 'skimming' legitimate ads for some purpose unknown to me. At best they're a nusance - at worst a scam.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

arron
Great Britain

#28 Re: Scam alert!

Post by arron » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Hugo wrote:stpallas - he's the guy in New Jersey who exports unrestored cars, isn't he?
Yes, personally I have had good service from him, my S1 OTS came from Mario. It was pretty much as he described.

He does work as a middle man and he has not always personally seen the cars. His descriptions are rather vague, which does not help if you are buying from a distance. He will hold a car if you want to fly out for a look, which is recommended.

Its also interesting to look in the background of his ebay ads, there are often other interesting cars.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Hugo
Great Britain

#29 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Hugo » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:05 pm

I bought my Series II OTS inport from Toby Smith in Brackley, who sadly died in April. It was good to be able to go & look at his car(s), and talk to him about their relative merits, although I quite often buy cars sight unseen from the States. One thing he did tell me (after I had bought the car!) was that there was a very good mark-up to be had on imported E Types - 40% per cent I think he said. Toby was a very honest guy - quite open and upfront about everything - but I feel this business is going to attract a lot of less reputable dealers into trying to make a fast buck.
I paid him £40,000 incidentally, for a very sound if rather tatty car in running order except for a badly slipping clutch.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bernard
Belgium

#30 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Bernard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:27 am

Dear E-Type Enthusiasts,

A Google search on "886155" led us to your forum.
We are a classic car dealership and restoration workshop located in Aalst, Belgium, called Marreyt Classics & Twin Cam.
We have bought E-Type 3.8 Coupé 886154 (the restoration project that was for sale in the US via Ebay) about a year ago, and we are currently doing a full nut and bolt restoration for the new owner.

We have been made aware of the 886155 scam in Greece.
Thank you to those who alerted the community through this forum, to those who created the 886155 page on the XKEdata website, and to those who reported the scam to Ebay. It's this collective knowledge and power of enthusiasts that will hopefully eventually stop the scammers.

We have sent the falsified Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust Certificate to the Heritage Archive, pointing out all (quite obvious) alterations. They have referred this matter to Jaguar Land Rover's legal team who will be following this up.
Let's hope they take this fraudulous Heritage Certificate matter seriously. Having been in the classic car business for almost thirty years, we've seen a significant increase in scams over the past few months! And we prefer working on cars rather than playing detective...

Kind regards from Belgium,

Bernard Marreyt
http://www.marreyt-classics.com

PS: for those interested:
- our original advert for the car: http://marreyt-classics.com/stocklist-detail.php?id=747
- our restoration page that will be updated as we progress: http://marreyt-classics.com/twincam-res ... l.php?id=5

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stpallas
United States of America

#31 Stpallas replay

Post by Stpallas » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:42 pm

Dear E type and Ebay community, my name is Mario and I am “owner” of stpallas user name on ebay. I have need to register here to clear my name a bit and to give you some encouragement buying overseas. Many lies have been spoken here. First I exist, I live in USA and Europe, more precisely in Miami and Croatia town Split , beautiful place, its not Greece, thats another country that I have nothing to do with business wise.
I never stole anyone’s money, not delivered the car i promised etc etc. Buying old classic cars is very demanind job, many people have different expectations but trust me I know what is good quality and what is not. On gentleman name Mark claimed he saw my e type for sale in UK, he said bad quality of work, well that e type is a part of private collection from UK racing now on Goodwood, the car is as original as they get. Its getting extremely upsetting to follow all this false statements as everyone can write on internet what ever they want without any control or check.
Thats why nxt time if you have any doubts or question contact directly that person, ask for references near your place, come to see the car in person and everything will be much better!
Trashing someone who is working his ass off morning to night to have good reputation , without even knowing that person is at least not fair. Here in this link you can see how I sell and deliver E types to Uk!

Thank you so much for all understanding!
Mario aka Stpallas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#32 Re: Scam alert!

Post by politeperson » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Hello Mario, I have been following you on Ebay for years.

You are my hero. Where do you find all those cars?

I want to buy one or two some day.

Glad you posted.

Keep up the good work.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#33 Re: Scam alert!

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:05 pm

Hi Mario...welcom to the forum...thanks for posting and introduceing yourself....I have just searched the forum and in the last 2 years your name has only been mentioned twice as far as i can see.....One from a member who purchased from you and had a good experiance to report..and the other who has friends that purchased from you and reported the sales went well.......Im sure others will reply here and this is an excellent oppertunity to move forward and clear the air.....Steve ( Forum Moderator)
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nick V12 e type
Great Britain

#34 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Nick V12 e type » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:54 pm

Hello Mario,

I hope your keeping well.

I have no association with Mario other than I purchased my e type V12 from him via e bay couple of years ago.

The car came in from the US just as planned, no surprises and and easy smooth transaction. It is disconcerting buying an unseen car, and many would not entertain the idea. In my case the shipping company who were holding the car in their New York warehouse sent me a large collection of photos that they had taken when the car arrived with them. This gave me some extra reassurance. I would be pleased to deal with Mario again if ever I were to source a car from the US in the future.

Happy to share more details of my experience if it helps anyone.

First photo is collecting the car from the docks in the UK and the second one of the photos from the New York Shipping warehouse

Best wishes

Nick

e type series 3 V12 2+2 1972, BMW iX 2023

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#35 Re: Scam alert!

Post by rfs1957 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:07 am

Well done for putting yourself under scrutiny Mario, and welcome to the Forum.

But what exactly was the point of all the glib video-puffery ? Find another associate, mate.

The body-work on this car screams out "hidden problems", gaps all to cock and botched, and to dismiss the roof-screen fit as "needs alignment sorting" is to gloss over a right bag of crabs.

I have more faith in your honest transparency as a non-expert on E-Types, Mario, than in the blather from your snake-oil "expert".

"International E-Bay Deal" - WTF ???

Reminds me of the Stuart Isaacs guy in Chigwell (Thoroughbred Cars) who sold me mine in 2003.

He kept up a quite desperate patter - which intensified almost theatrically when I sat down to read through the thick file of pictures/documents that came with the car, doing anything and everything he could to distract me with such irrelevances as "So what's things like in France, then ?" - which I quickly realised were intended to stop me twigging that his "matching numbers" claim in the advert was a complete lie, as it was actally just matching head and block numbers.

Fortunately for him I couldn't be bothered to go after him for his lies, nor for the fact that his perfect car had brakes that were completely seized up, pissed water from every imaginable orifice including a rotting header-tank, ran out of sparks at every third corner, had the float heights set so the petrol (not the float spacing) was 11mm below the venturis, and had the torsion bar plates assembled with bolts that had been ground as wedges then banged into the holes.

(Ed - so that's where seventeen years of your life have gone ?)

All good Caveat Emptor.
Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#36 Re: Scam alert!

Post by 288gto » Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Hi Mario,

A warm welcome to the forum. Like James above I'm always looking at the vast array of different E types you have for sale with different prices and conditions not to mention other Marques.

Are they all your own cars that are for sale or do you act as a broker? If it is the latter, do you make a point of personally inspecting all the cars?

I notice a Mario Sarinic set up a company in the UK called "The Jaguar Experience" but its correspondence address is Split , Croatia , is that you?

I also remember a while ago on Jag Lovers Mario Sarinic from Croatia with the username vino058 posting ......

"already for few months I am looking to buy
a decent restoration guide for my 1970 e type ots
Any suggestions? Would preffer data with photo support!
Thanks
Vino58

Mario Sarinic "

How is the restoration of your own car going? There is a great section on here that you can post a restoration blog and pictures of what you are doing to it.

All the best and look forward to seeing more posts and updates.

Simon
Last edited by 288gto on Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Stpallas
United States of America

#37 Re: Scam alert!

Post by Stpallas » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:16 pm

Dear E type lovers,
First of all thank you all for your quick and warm respond!
Yes, every car what I advertise is under my ownership if otherwise its specified in description!
I am one of the people who live by " Good voice spreads fast, bad voice spreads faster".
Among Jaguars, I sell many other cars so not sure how to keep up with mean reviews other than keeping good work!
I buy cars all over US and Canada and sometimes I do buy unseen car, but I am always making sure to get the car either prior inspected or later inspected, regardless if I already pay for it. Things are moving on e type market incredibly fast , therefore sometimes we all do take gambles. However, as long as we don't fail to deliver cars we advertise or represent or selling non matching cars as matching we should be able to sort things out.
Regarding comment of red car I posted being not perfect , it was more matter of trust and satisfaction on both ends and to show that things can go really well!
I restored personally 10 jags , 3 e types and 7 xk's
One of early e types ended up in Orlando Bloom collection in LA and the rest are around private collectors around the world. My xk and some other cars were for sale By RM in Monaco and Villa Erba. Certainly not the low end as far as reputation goes. All in all you can have trust here and you don't ever have to be afraid that your money or trust will be used. If anything goes wrong and those things happen too , we are here to work things out, to replace missing or lost parts and refund any money requested!
I personally shipped many cars overseas without even being paid just to break that trust issue!
Again thank you for moderators and members who took time to warm welcome me and I hope I will be of great help for any further search or help at this part of the world!
Disclaimer:
This should not be any type of presenting my self in comercial meanings but rather to continue building trust bridge in this enthusiastic world!
Stpallas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#38 Re: Scam alert!

Post by christopher storey » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 am

Stpallas wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:16 pm
Dear E type lovers,

Regarding comment of red car I posted being not perfect , it was more matter of trust and satisfaction on both ends and to show that things can go really well!

All in all you can have trust here and you don't ever have to be afraid that your money or trust will be used. If anything goes wrong and those things happen too , we are here to work things out, to replace missing or lost parts and refund any money requested!

Stpallas
Do you have a corporate entity under which you trade, or do you trade personally in your own name, and in either case what is the trading name you use ?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#39 Re: Scam alert!

Post by tim wood » Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:02 am

Others will have differing views but when I purchased my OTS and decided that a USA import was the way to go I was firmly of the idea that no cash would leave my hands unless I could see and touch the car.
Meeting the owner and spending some time crawling over what in any event is a significant purchase.

I’m in no way implying any impropriety whatsoever.
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rfs1957
France

#40 Re: Scam alert!

Post by rfs1957 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:30 pm

It's a terrible nuisance having stuff floating around on the Internet.

Is this "Jag Experience" no longer used ? Pity, great $$$$$$ name !

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09353569

Rory
3.8 OTS S1 Opalescent Silver Grey - built May 28th 1962

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Locked Previous topicNext topic