Garage Flooring

Talk about E-Types here

Simon P
Great Britain

#61 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Simon P » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 am

Heuer wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:56 pm
Yes, I had an epoxy paint and it was treacherous when wet to the point where I felt it was life threatening.
This is The Good Lord's way of telling you not to take your E-type out in the wet....

:wink:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#62 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Gfhug » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:48 am

Simon, does this mean your car is now a "trailer queen" :roll: :lol:
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#63 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by 288gto » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:50 am

Geoff it is currently minus rear wheels up on special stands ratchet strapped on all four corners to the floor ready to run it through all the gears. I shall probably just leave it like that and install a large projector screen. :bigrin:
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andits22
Great Britain

#64 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by andits22 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:36 pm

You can also use vinyl flooring in garage. Vinyl sheet flooring is a good low-cost option for upgrading your garage floor. It’s textured for traction, resistant to oils, gasoline and cleaning fluids, and it’s relatively easy to install.

Bamboo Plywood Panels
Last edited by andits22 on Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Biggs71
Great Britain

#65 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Biggs71 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:11 pm

I've just done up the garage in our new house, having had bad experiences with floor paint I went for a PVC floor tile from Duratex. They're nice and robust and I installed it myself in an afternoon, no prep required. I got them mostly for the surface pattern which looked nice and grippy, which indeed they are. Something like R13 iirc. https://www.duratex.co.uk/pvc-floor-til ... erlok.html

I covered the ceiling in PVC cladding which I took off part of the exterior, for the reason that it reflects plenty of light and makes the space a bit brighter. Also the house looks a lot better without it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#66 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Philk » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:40 am

We had a problem with the amount of dust coming off of our concrete garage floor and, having looked at the various options of paint, resin, plastic/rubber interlocking tiles, we eventually opted for it to be screeded and ceramic tiled. They've been down for six years now and I've had no issues with them. They get washed thoroughly once a year and "blow cleaned" from time to time with our garden blower (E-Type not in situ at that point!). Oil etc wipes off easily with brake cleaner and they've easily withstood tools etc being dropped on them.

As an added bonus (we used a professional tiler), the floor is billiard table level which means it is great for measuring torsion bar heights etc.
Last edited by Philk on Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#67 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Barry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:44 am

I thought I’d respond with some professional advise after noting a couple of points on two recent posts. As an architect I often get asked about materials to use in garages, having designed a handful for some valuable car collections. Ceramic flooring is the best, but also the most expensive solution. Paint is the cheapest solution, but has to be re-treated regularly, and is hopeless on anything where the concrete floor is not totally smooth. Epoxy resin only works on smooth or power float concrete floors. Interlocking plastic tiles works well, and is probably the best of the cheaper solutions. My own garage is fitted with them. They curl if petrol goes on them, but at least can easily be replaced. The least number of joints on a ceramic floor the better, and why car manufacturers insist on dealers installing them on showroom floors. The other point is NOT to use pvc sheeting on walls or ceiling before checking first on the fire resistant qualities of the material, including the rating for surface spread of flame. PVC or plastic sheeting is not really advisable from a condensation point of view. Always use a de-humidifier with water expelled via a tube to the outside, and check condensation levels with a gauge. Insulate walls and ceilings as much as you can to reduce the u value, and make the environment draught free around doors and windows.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#68 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by malcolm » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:55 pm

And I'm sure you'll sell it at cost price seeing as it is to fellow colleagues on this forum :bigrin:
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic