Garage Flooring

Talk about E-Types here

288gto
Russia

#21 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Geoff, the Duramat stuff says it has a 3000kg load rating per tile but I suspect that is spread over the whole 0.25 Sq m rather than concentrated on a 2cm x 2cm contact patch of a trolley jack wheel. It would however be a simple matter to put down a piece of 12 mm ply.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#22 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Simonpfhc » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:19 pm

Yes, with Dura (and all other plastic tiles/mats I presume??) you need to leave an expansion gap around the edge of the garage. I have skirting board fitted which covers these nicely. I'm still amazed how much the plastic expands when the sun gets on it.

WIth regards to heavy items leaving indentations, I have used axle stands and trolley jacks. If they are left for several days/weeks, there is a slight noticeable indentation, but these marks always soon disappear of their own accord.

Any thread around the subject matter of garages (quite rightly) always brings out a lot of great discussion :bigrin:

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#23 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Just called Duramat......lots of products....they have a 7mm and a 12mm interlock tile.....they reccomend the 12mm which has a honeycomb type back for your standard drive in garage.....for workshop the 7mm solid would be better.....however for jacks they recommend thin ply as mentioned above....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#24 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by andrewh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:10 pm

first quote in at

Thanks for your reply.
90m2 = 360 tiles required

Product recommended: Flexi-Tile HD 7mm Tile Elite Blue Coin
Code: N1400125000
Price: £8.90/tile - £35.60/m2

Total: £3204
Transport: £40
48h delivery service to the UK

VAT: £648.80

TOTAL INC. VAT: £3892.80

Thats from Flexi-tile.com

I fear that there are lots of internet resellers lurking to sell these onto unsuspecting customers. What I need to do is get to the original manufacturer of the tiles to get the best price. Shame about the need for an expansion gap as thats going to not solve my dust and wind blowing in from the gap underneath my fitted wooden skirts.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#25 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi Andrew....spoke to Duramat.... https://duramat.co.uk/category/garage-flooring/ good guys to chat to they are the manufacturer.. Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#26 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Heuer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm

I installed Duramat about 15 years ago and it has survived everything I have (literally) thrown at it. About the only downside is you get brown marks where the tyres have been resting and nothing will remove it. Apparently this is because the black dye used in tyres leaches out. I use an electric floor scrubber once a year and it brings the floor up nicely, except for those pesky tyre marks. It will happen on any floor covering though and you can at least lift out the stained tiles and replace with spares of it bothers you. My floor is fitted right up to the walls and sealed with silicone at the edges - never had a problem with expansion but the doors are north facing so never see the sun. My floor is blue and you need to be circumspect in choosing your colour(s); don't be tempted by the wild combinations seen on the web sites!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#27 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Hi David.....do you have the 7mm plain surface or 12mm checker or disc surface.....edit..looks like there are 2 companies...Dura garages....and Duramat needs some more research there products look very different
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neil4444
Great Britain

#28 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by neil4444 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:35 pm

£200 and still fine 5 years on.
Neil
1962 S1 OTS
1967 S1 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Polse7317
France

#29 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Polse7317 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:28 pm

I chose époxy paint on my new concrete floor but it was a hard job to do , i had to wait 3 months of evaporation with a Professional air dryer before painting..... here is the result:
Yves, happy XKE 63 fhc , w113 280sl owner
Looking for a OTS 4.2 serie 1....! :scratchheadyellow: and now have found a fhc xk 140 :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#30 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by andrewh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:36 pm

I am back to the paint job now! I used to be indecisive but now I am not so sure :bigrin:

I think the painted two pack epoxy will be fine for the amount of traffic I am going to be putting over it. The issue is how to slightly prepare the surface to ensure there is no flaking of the top layer of concrete after laying. Concrete has been down for a long while now, but its still giving off its top layer of dust. I think the chap who laid it called it the fat, which floats to the top when the concrete dries out. I like the tiles but £3800 for plastic tiles seems too expensive to me. I could buy a new set of stainless steel wires and tyres for that and still have some change to take my wife out for my 25th wedding anniversary to the local pub :bouncyyellow:
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#31 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 pm

If it's the expansion gap that worries you Andrew, you could always put grey plastic quadrant around the edge to seal it and still allow for expansion.
Having met and spoken to you I fear the mention of "plastic trim" however, to a man of your discerning taste might put you off. :lol:

http://fascias.com/19mm-dark-Grey-quadr ... Am_08P8HAQ

Let's market it as "custom composite finishing strip"

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#32 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by andrewh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 pm

288gto wrote:If it's the expansion gap that worries you Andrew, you could always put grey plastic quadrant around the edge to seal it and still allow for expansion.
Having met and spoken to you I fear the mention of "plastic trim" however, to a man of your discerning taste might put you off. :lol:

http://fascias.com/19mm-dark-Grey-quadr ... Am_08P8HAQ

Let's market it as "custom composite finishing strip"

Simon
I do hope that you are teasing me Simon!!

I dont mind a bit of plastic as long as its covered in nice Connolly leather. :bigrin:

Actually the expansion gap is a concern as it doesn't solve one of the problems which is the ingress of dust and spiders from the small uneven gap at the bottom of the skirting boards, and it may look a little less than finished to my eye? The real issue is with the expense, I just feel that the plastic tiles are generally over priced. I'm just being a tight rse
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#33 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by ralphr1780 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:04 pm

Has anyone fitted the ecotile ?
www.ecotileflooring.com
No affiliation or interest... but their products look interesting.
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#34 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by 288gto » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:15 pm

You should know I'm only pulling your leg Andrew :lol: and as regards the expense, that's why my floor remains in grey floor paint. I did however manage to convince myself that fitting a boiler and central heating in there wasn't extravagant.

Back to your existing concrete, is it really that bad that hand scraping and self levelling compound won't sort it? There are some excellent acrylic primers to help adhesion too.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#35 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Heuer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Before the tiles I had epoxy paint and it was a nightmare when it was wet outside. A number of times I slipped and fell because of wet soles on the shiny surface. It was a real accident hazard and after spending a tidy sum on having it laid I had to cover it up with the tiles before I broke myself or one of the cars. Avoid unless you go for the textured stuff but that quickly looks horrible and is difficult to clean. You still end up with black stains from the tyres!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#36 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by JagWaugh » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:39 pm

At the risk of seeming alarmist, in light of the recent Grenfell tower fire I'm a bit leery of plastics at the moment. I braze and weld in the shop, so even if they aren't going to spontaneously burst into flames I imagine that I'd be needing to replace the area around the vice fairly often.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

timhum
Great Britain

#37 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by timhum » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:44 pm

I've used Ecotile for my garage. Floor area is about 42 square yards and cost me £1450.00 fitted 3 years ago. No problems at all although I choose light grey and they do need a bitof work to be kept clean. In the past I've used floor paint and found that after a car had been parked in one position for a fair time the paint peeled up with the tread as it moved.
Tim
Tim
1965 S1 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

steve3.8
Great Britain

#38 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by steve3.8 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Andrew ,

Depends what the usage is.
For me paint is the easiest option in a working garage , welding , thinners etc + plastic floors don't mix.
Is this a storage/showroom garage or for doing repairs in ? .
For a storage garage i sealed the concrete with thinned down floor paint + 1 top coat then fitted reclaimed industrial grade office floor tiles , the tiles cost £200 for 50m² .
Steve3.8

64 3.8 fhc, 67 4.2 fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#39 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by andrewh » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:37 am

the space is used for mainly storage, but at the other end I have my scissor lift and build my cars here. I have a large barn for welding, stripping and all other dirty stuff, so really its not going to see too much rough stuff going on in here. I have a sample here of the Ecotile 5mm. Its a very hard product and should withstand quite a bit of weight on it. I would tend to suggest flat wood under axle stands to spread the load. Not sure what I would do with the scissor lift. Whether it would be best mount it on top of the tiles or cut them around it. Its a moveable lift though and getting out of a cut out area would be troublesome I would think.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#40 Re: Garage Flooring

Post by Jeremy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:49 am

Smooth rubber floor tiles! That's what we've got in our studio workshop. V pleased with them. Warm and easy to slide over on your back when under a car, but shoes grip even when wet. Easy to clean, hard enough to withstand axle stands and jacks (though will dent if you drop a stub axle on it from 3 feet up). Minimal fire risk when compared to plastic tiles. But they do need a smooth flat substrate of course.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic