BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paydase
Belgium

#22 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by paydase » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:06 pm

A substantial number of technical threads are now uncomfortable to read and explanations difficult to understand, because pictures are hijacked by Photofucet.
Very frustrating...
Serge
1964 (3.8) FHC
1961 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#23 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Red Kite » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:57 pm

Its not allowed on Imgur either.... http://imgur.com then add /tos
Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere, content for your website, advertising, avatars, or anything else that turns us into your content delivery network. If you do – and we will be the judge – or if you do anything illegal, in addition to any other legal rights we may have, we will ban you along with the site you're hotlinking from, delete all your images, report you to the authorities if necessary, and prevent you from viewing any images hosted on Imgur.com. We mean it.
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#24 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by 64etype » Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:41 pm

Jeremy wrote:Off topic for a moment, but Gerry, I have to say that is one gorgeous car you have. The rear 3/4 angle is the best view of an fhc in my book - it's what you see when one overtakes you....
Again off topic....but it's the wheel/tire combination that gives it the balanced and aggressive look. Very nice indeed.
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#25 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Heuer » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:02 pm

If you click on the Photofuc*et Speedo thing it will take you to the photo you want. As regards imgur they do not allow image hosting for commercial use, they have no issues with Forums. Of course in a few years time they may decide to do what PB have done to 'monetise' what the hold.

If you find threads with the intrusive PB logo please put a link here and I will see what I can do to put them right.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Vonkie
South Africa

#26 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Vonkie » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:54 am

Heuer

I messed about on the knowledge database yesterday (amazing section on radios!) and the 'how to post poctures' bit is all about photobucket. You probably want to change this.

By the way, why all this complication? Why not just attach an image from hard-drive files? I have not tried to post pics yet (waiting for Big Day which is very near), but thought I would simply find the 'attach' button and upload a pic from my files. Links would be a different story...

This is a wonderful forum, I must say.
Frank
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#27 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Heuer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 am

Attachments may be temporary as there is only a finite amount of space on the Forum server so older attachments will be overwritten, therefore it should be used sparingly and not for photos. It is intended for attaching documents in Word or PDF format. You can use the 'P' "Add image to Post" link at the bottom of the editor box for photos although they are stored on the Postimage server, who currently have no issues with linking to Forum posts.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

trondvo
Norway

#28 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by trondvo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:01 am

Same problem here, Photobucket really sucks on this one. The least they should have done is to make the changes apply on new uploads, changing the game 5 years down the roads is a joke. Photobucket is blackmailing the users, many of us would have posted pics in various forums for years.

Most of my images are on pbucket but I started moving images to flickr last year but maybe they come up with the same scheme in the future?

A forum could host images on Amazon S3, it is a very low cost document/blob/image hosting solution but I do not know whether there are any decent mods to handle this in phpBB3.
61 OTS Black on Red, 62 FHC nuts & bolts resto on the way to OSG & Matador red.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JagWaugh
Switzerland

#29 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by JagWaugh » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:30 am

trondvo wrote: A forum could host images on Amazon S3, it is a very low cost document/blob/image hosting solution but I do not know whether there are any decent mods to handle this in phpBB3.
I'm relatively sure David will agree, storage costs are a factor for anyone running an online platform. For JL, I think about 1/3 of our platform running costs works out to be storage.

It's a trade off. On the one hand, you'd like a photo which covers some detail to be available forever, on the other you don't want to end up paying for storage for everyone's restoration diary, including video's of the dog running around at the celebration BBQ when you passed the MOT, and you also don't want to spend a great deal of time vetting photos to see if they are, or are not worth paying for. Allowing people to post links to an offsite storage service is a good middleground, but it depends on that target being available.

I personally think Photobucket has shot themselves in the foot with this one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

trondvo
Norway

#30 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by trondvo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:05 pm

Of course photobucket also need to generate income but the way they did this was a disaster. Anyone with tons of photos considering moving away from pbucket could:

1 - use the "download album" feature on photobucket
2 - find a photohost that will not mess with your (photobucket changed) filenames and folder structure
3 - use a text editor and a simple "copy-replace" function when updating your posts ("changing the endpoint")

If you are on a PC maybe microsoft drive has the capabilities to share albums.
If on a mac icloud could share the downloaded photobucket stuff.
Any platform get gmail and use your free google drive for shared photoalbums.

I would also suggest to consider a modestly paid service, it may be better in the long run.

If you manage to put your pbucket photos on a new host keeping filenames and structure it is a single liner in SQL to upate a users external image links in the database.

Postimage is great but it is sort of a "fire and forget" solution, would recommend to sign up and have some control of your own uploads.
61 OTS Black on Red, 62 FHC nuts & bolts resto on the way to OSG & Matador red.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Alty Ian
Great Britain

#31 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Alty Ian » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:41 pm

My photos still show up on the forum, maybe because I pay PB now for my storage as I exceeded the free storage limit.
And I pay nothing like 399usd.
64 S1 4.2 OTS 1E10012 73 S3 2+2 manual 2013 V6 F type OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#32 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by mark10337 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:51 pm

I've now moved all of mine and updated the links.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#33 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Heuer » Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:24 pm

Postimage is great for inexperienced users and for anyone who just wants to put up a photo to illustrate a point. It is quick and easy to use from within the Forum. Imgur is also very easy to use and once you are signed up you can create albums and copy the relevant links to paste in the Forum. As for PB I don't think they anticipated the strength of reaction online. A huge number of people have closed their accounts after downloading their albums and as their advertising revenue is based on the number of users it is a bit of an own goal. Maybe now they have 'trimmed' their user base and the majority of those leaving were free accounts they may just decide to grandfather existing photos and/or introduce a different method of charging. I have 12,000 photos on PB, most of which are on the Forum, although I am only using 1.4Gb of my 30Gb allowance (I had to get the Plus20 plan otherwise I would exceed the free plan bandwidth).
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#34 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by malcolm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:25 am

I've now been PB'd! My pics on my latest post here viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10880 have all been replaced.
Just posting a pic to try out the "P" link on the page:

Yay! It worked. It's me at the top of the Spanish Pyrenees by the way.

What's the maximum file size that can be used? It wouldn't accept my first picture, so I resized it for web documents and it was ok.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#35 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Heuer » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:40 am

Maximum size seems to be 1600x1200 but you can select if you want Photoimage to resize your photo for you from the dropdown in the upload page:

If you use the editor on those posts, just delete the Photobucket link and create a new link in Postimage and your thread will display correctly.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#36 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by malcolm » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:54 pm

Thanks David
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#37 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Jeremy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:40 pm

I've just spent an hour or so transferring all my images from PB to Postimage.
Got my avatar back :bigrin: :bigrin:

But the only option for putting photos back into my posts seems to be either a link which the reader has to click on:
https://s6.postimg.org/5edc5xpn5/IMAG2156.jpg

or a "thumbnail for forums":

Has anybody else successfully used Postimage and got decent sized images up on the forum?

Apart from this minor difficulty, Postimage seems to work about a thousand times better than Photobucket...
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#38 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Jeremy » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm

Ah. Sorry peeps. I just found the answer.
Don't try copy/pasting the link, just click on "Add image to post" and you get this:
So easy most normally intelligent people can manage it.... :oops: :doh:
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nickleback
Great Britain

#39 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Nickleback » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:49 am

They finally got me too, so I've now been PB'd! :banghead:
What's the consensus now on the best way to go with image hosting & trying to save everything ?
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#40 Re: Photobucket - Warning, do not use

Post by Heuer » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:57 am

Imgur is superb and easy to use. You can also post photos on the Forum using Postimage - click on small blue P at bottom left of posting page. As regards transferring photos I am in the process of doing mine (there are thousands - Upgrades, Factory Fit, Collectors Corner etc) but you can only do it quickly if you have not been Photoph***'d yet. The best method for that is dragging them from your posts to Imgur and replacing the PB link with the Imgur link.

Once you have been Photoph***'d you will need to download your PB photo albums to your PC and then go into each post and delete the PB link and upload the correct photo using Postimage. This is quicker as the Forum software puts the Postimage link into your post automatically.

The whole thing is a nightmare and we can only hope PB go out of business as an example to others when you hold people to ransom :banghead:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic