Yesterday was my lucky day

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#1 Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by ralphr1780 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:49 am

It was a sunny and cold spring day late pm, after a stressing office session, pleasant drive in the countryside the top down, came across a young chap with a neat steelgrey Land Rover Defender and started a chat… he has restored a 1974 Range Rover… his dad has an S1.5 OTS gunmetal-red in excellent driving condition… he liked very much my S2 brg-tan combo… dad had ordered triple SU conversion kit last year but finally decided to stick with the twin Strombergs set up... because of reliability and performance satisfaction… kit is for sale for a reasonable price… can I see it… rush to the atm, picked up my dailydriver to conclude and load… and voilà, at barely 25km from my place:

For some their lucky day will be at Bicester next Sunday, mine was yesterday! :bouncyyellow:
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by malcolm » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:17 am

Look fantastic! Good price?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by abowie » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:31 am

I didn't get a cool box with the set I bought.. :-(
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

golfnut324
United States of America

#4 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by golfnut324 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 am

Talk about living right!
:drinkingcheers:
Craig
'68 E-Type FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#5 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by ralphr1780 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Malcolm, the price was very reasonable, lower than what you would pay to Burlen or other vendors.
I was pretty aware of the prevailing prices for new and used since I had to buy quite a few bits to replace the missing ones for my S1, and also as I had lately bought a nice used set from a French fellow converting to webers but for a 3.8. This can be fitted on a 4.2 with basically a couple of freeze plugs in the block and a modification to the accelerator linkage. Was planning to carry the work next month. Now as I will not be needing it anymore, will be offering the used one soon for sale to fellow listers here.

Andrew, the box has even wheels on one side, so that you can trail it around the garage easily.
The kit was supplied less than a year ago, maybe it is a new packaging, when was your kit supplied?

Thanks golfnut, could not :drinkingcheers: yesterday, but will certainly do this evening.
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#6 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by Herzeg » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:41 pm

I never got a nice box like that with mine, probably Angus sells them before he gives you your car back :lol:
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#7 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by 1954Etype » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:47 pm

Probably went in the big skip John! They honestly aren't that good.
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#8 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by ralphr1780 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:38 am

Herzeg wrote:I never got a nice box like that with mine, probably Angus sells them before he gives you your car back :lol:
I guess that if you take the luggage rack option as well, then he will load you the box. :thumbsup:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#9 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by ralphr1780 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:10 am

An update conc the conversion.
Before:

After:

While with a 3.8 you can simply put the whole setup readily assembled in one shot then tighten the nuts manifold-engine, this is not the case with the 4.2 and the nuts manifold-engine are a real pain to tighten properly.
The SU kit is very complete with all bits and pieces required for the conversion and a detailed instruction sheet.
Following precisely this instructions sheet, first carb had to be inevitably separated from the manifold.
Unfortunately, the throttle lever was fouling the frame, difficulty overcome with spacers on the engine mounts and 1mm grinding of the lever.
Anyone fitting such kit should consider, before on the bench, looking closely and rechecking all the already assembled parts are properly fitted and tightened, and not rely on the fact that it looks new and shiny.
The pistons did slide freely up and down without the dampers, but one did not with dampers on because of metal bits still hanging around.
Needles positioning / centering and floats height should as well be adjusted, needle valves properly tightened.
I replaced the aluminium washers connecting fuel supply on the floats, which apparently had suffered a bit of overtightening.

I made the adjustments as per the wsm and have driven now almost 1500km. The engine revs perfect, accelerations are smoother but honestly I did not feel any increase in power v/s strombergs. Checked the spark plugs and only 2 show that one carb is running very slightly rich requiring leaning.
Cheers,
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#10 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:13 pm

ralphr1780 wrote:" ...have driven now almost 1500km. The engine revs perfect, accelerations are smoother but honestly I did not feel any increase in power v/s strombergs...
Very honest of you Ralph. I assume you have not taken it to the red line yet?

Like the recent thread about porting and flowing the inlet passages, 90% of the time most engines are controlled by the throttle preventing maximum air flow - which is where the verb 'to throttle' comes in(to strangle or restrict air flow by narrowing a passage). Same thing with 'choke' or 'strangler' as it used to be called on some bike carbs - meaning to cut off the air flow and thereby increase the flow of petrol on start up.

Did you remove the secondary throttle plates or jam them open on your twin Strangleberg equipment? If you already did that modification then you already got most of the low speed advantage of going to triple SUs. The other good benefit - higher maximum flow - really only comes in at higher revs and most people only visit that part of the rev band occasionally. So it is true that unless they changed something else at the same time (like switch from badly-tuned worn-out carbs to brand new parts) then the gains are modest. However, part of the gain also comes from the distributor fitted to S1 triple SU cars. The Federal S2 version holds back the engine a little. If you already have a 123 distributor then you will be OK, but normally the full benefit of going to triple SUs is when you fit a Series 1 curve distributor.

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Julian.P
Great Britain

#11 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by Julian.P » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi Ralph nice conversion, I have recently purchased a set of original triple SU's to replace my Stombergs need to lookout for an 4.2 inlet manifold. Did you manage to re-use the air box and filter canaster from your Stromberg setup?
Cheers, Julian.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
ralphr1780
Belgium

#12 Re: Yesterday was my lucky day

Post by ralphr1780 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi Peter, the secondary throttle plates were already removed long time ago and indeed this was a great improvement.
Running on Edis as well.
Did take it to the redline just for a minute to feel the acceleration linearity and ensure there were no flat spots or misses.

Julian you can reuse the same triangular airbox but the intake trumpet has to replaced with a triple one.

Any amateurs around for a good set of Strombergs with manifold and intake trumpet? :bouncyyellow:
Ralph

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic