E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
xesvuli420
United States of America

#1 E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by xesvuli420 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Hey guys!
I dont know how many of you are interested in buying from longstone, but I came here today because I promised longstone I would after being shot down by them. Unfortunately the discounts dougal has been offering on all these forums around the internet for members or whatever WILL NOT BE HONORED by longstone. Not only that, but they said they don’t offer discounts and never have. I had to send them two screenshots to prove dougal had been before they would even take me seriously. Now they say there prices are “on special” so no discounts available. I will not be doing business with longstone now so I guess it will for sure be the vreds for me.. and after reading all the information about them on here, I’m super happy about that... I almost bought the Perelli‘s from Longstone, before I realized theres a better tire out there and apparently a better company too.. Thank you forum and all these great people sharing their results. It truly is a fact how valuable information is when a community unites to preach it!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by cactusman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:30 pm

Hmmm....their ad in the e type magazine (Nov 2017) makes no mention of members discounts although they do appear in the list of suppliers offering e type club members discounts in the e type magasine. Might be worth clarifying with the e type club what, if indeed any, discounts are offered to e type club members....although worth remembering that being a member of the forum does not imply e type club membership...they are different . No idea if the company mentioned has ever offered forum members any discount...I would rather doubt it but I might be wrong...one for the moderators I would suggest....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#3 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by politeperson » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:07 pm

I have had tyres from Longstone and found then to be great.
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by Heuer » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:17 pm

I don't recall Dougal offering any discounts to members here so no idea what this about. I have invited Dougal to respond.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#5 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by mystery type » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:27 pm

I expect the confusion lies as stated above, longstone tyres are listed as one of the providers giving a discount to members of the "E type club"
And with the link and logo above right on these pages, and Dougal from longstone tyres posting on this site, it is rather confusing for new comers. :scratchheadyellow:
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#6 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by dougal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 pm

Hi

I suppose you can't please all the people all the time.

If you ring up and ask when you buy tyres off us we will give you a Club discount off the individual standard tyre prices.

However on the internet we do have some special offer prices on sets of 4 or 5 tyres. These set prices are already heavily discounted, and there is no further discount available off these deals.

In fact they are only really meant to be for people buying on line.

However if you ring us up and ask, we will honor the special set price offers over the phone as well. but we still don't give extra discounts off these special sets offers as well. And i think from memory this is where this misunderstanding has arisen.

But i do feel it is a little harsh to then be publicly pilloried like this. I don't think you will find anywhere a statement that we promise discounts to any club member off any price they find anywhere. we are careful not to publish that sort of thing because things change.

Any way the sets deals are discounted so what ,more do you want?

Here they are if you want them
https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/catalo ... gory/2577/

And yes the Michelin and Pirelli are more expensive for the same reason that a E-type Jag costs more than a Daf 33
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lundabo
United States of America

#7 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by lundabo » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am

dougal wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:54 pm
Hi

I suppose you can't please all the people all the time.

If you ring up and ask when you buy tyres off us we will give you a Club discount off the individual standard tyre prices.

However on the internet we do have some special offer prices on sets of 4 or 5 tyres. These set prices are already heavily discounted, and there is no further discount available off these deals.

In fact they are only really meant to be for people buying on line.

However if you ring us up and ask, we will honor the special set price offers over the phone as well. but we still don't give extra discounts off these special sets offers as well. And i think from memory this is where this misunderstanding has arisen.

But i do feel it is a little harsh to then be publicly pilloried like this. I don't think you will find anywhere a statement that we promise discounts to any club member off any price they find anywhere. we are careful not to publish that sort of thing because things change.

Any way the sets deals are discounted so what ,more do you want?

Here they are if you want them

And yes the Michelin and Pirelli are more expensive for the same reason that a E-type Jag costs more than a Daf 33
Yes, it does seem a bit unfair to pillory a vendor here, particularly when it comes to discounts. From what I can tell, Longstone's prices are already pretty competitive, particularly on the set prices.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am of the mindset that "screaming" deals are great, but if you value a vendor and want to ensure its survival to support your hobbies, etc., looking for fair deals where vendor is making a profit sufficient to keep it interested in supporting the marque is in everyone's best interests. Just my $02
Bill Gutierrez
1961 OTS - under :hammerdrill:
1973 OTS - mostly working

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by malcolm » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:21 am

Good point Bill. We all moan about losing all our lovely shops on the high street, but buy everything from Amazon
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#9 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by Kember17 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:38 am

lundabo wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:32 am

Yes, it does seem a bit unfair to pillory a vendor here, particularly when it comes to discounts. From what I can tell, Longstone's prices are already pretty competitive, particularly on the set prices.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I am of the mindset that "screaming" deals are great, but if you value a vendor and want to ensure its survival to support your hobbies, etc., looking for fair deals where vendor is making a profit sufficient to keep it interested in supporting the marque is in everyone's best interests. Just my $02
A heartfelt +1 to all of the above. We can certainly go to the Amazons of this world and get things cheaper but companies like Longstone have to pay the taxes that others appear to consider optional and they make their contribution to communities like this one as well as the one where it is physically located.

I would add that having the benefit of product expertise on something as safety-critical as tyres might be worth a few bob in itself...It certainly is to me.

Peter
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dougal
Great Britain

#10 Re: E type tyres and where NOT to buy them

Post by dougal » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:21 pm

Thank you for your kind words.

I'd like to buy you a pint some time.

I tell you what we will be attending Vintage Sports Car Club speed events https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classi ... endar.html where we offer a free fitting service. I think a local vintage tyre fitting service is something you don't get anywhere else in the world. so we are well worth taking advantage of. However generally at these events we go geared up to fit and demonstrate pre war car tyres. However if you know you want something, or would just like to look at a selection, please let us know what it is you are interested in and we can take it along. and we can get your car intoi the paddock for fitting, as generally speaking i will be competing there.

the other 2 big events i would like to buy you silver tongued gentleman a pint at are:

Goodwood Members meeting where i am competing in the Vintage Specials race, which i have got to tell you is going to be quite an event

then i shall also be competing at the Chateau gImpney hill climb which is also epic http://www.chateauimpneyhillclimb.com/
Chain Gang for ever

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic