Nova Certificate.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

#1 Nova Certificate.

Post by Herbie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:33 am

Hello All,

My E type is quietly waiting in the queue to be restored sitting in dry storage and probably will do for the next 18 months. So I thought I would get the paperwork that had been bothering me in order. Incase some of you are in the same boat this was my experience.

The car was imported from Miami to belgium by joop stolze in around 2008, then bought by the previous owner in 2012 and imported to the UK. The project was never started and I bought it a couple of years ago. The paperwork didn't include a NOVA certificate as the scheme didn't exist then. This concerned me, so after a bit of dilly dallying between myself and the DVLA and HMRC, we were told to contact the PTU team (personal transport unit) filled in a type approval form which by their own addition on the covering letter a lot would be left blank, 2 weeks later got a letter from the HMRC saying that there was no duty to pay and providing a NOVA reference no, to be forwarded when registered.

I wonder now that they are talking about removing the m.o.t requirement (which I disagree with) whether the car would be able to be registered??
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

EtypeMoneyPit
Great Britain

#2 Re: Nova Certificate.

Post by EtypeMoneyPit » Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi Herbie,

I am in exactly the same boat as you. My 1968 S2 was imported into the UK from the US two years ago and has a NOVA number. However as yet it is unregistered as it does not have an MOT and is still undergoing a slow resto (currently in the paintshop). I am considering making a big push on the resto work to get an MOT and to get it registered. However if in the near future it will not require an MOT to register then this would be useful. Anyone know if this is correct and if so when new system coming along? Kris
Kris
1968 S2 FHC
1978 VW T2B

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Nova Certificate.

Post by Herbie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:36 pm

Hello All,

Just resurrecting this in case anyone has any further knowledge.

As we know M.O.T exception will apply to cars over 40 years old in May, (ridiculous policy in my mind) what I would like to try and find out is whether that means I can register my imported E type before restoring it as I have a feeling it is going to get more difficult to do so as time goes on particularly with all this Q plate scenario nonsense flying around.

Does anyone have any insider knowledge on whether an initial M.O.T will still be required? I have emailed the DVLA and will let the forum know if and when I get a response.

Many thanks,

Richard.
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#4 Re: Nova Certificate.

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:50 pm

Watching ...... my car fingers crossed... Will be ready ish around may might even be a tincy bit before . now it would be handy to regerster it so it's totally road legal and then I can drive it to my mot station on it's correct number plate and mot it on it's correct plate
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Herbie
Great Britain

#5 Re: Nova Certificate.

Post by Herbie » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:41 pm

It does make you wonder whether they will eventually apply ‘Q’ plates to imports and left hand to right hand drive conversions, the guidelines in there planned changes are so ludicrous!
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic