My new OTS

Talk about E-Types here

chrisfell
St Lucia

#21 Re: My new OTS

Post by chrisfell » Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:36 am

Gfhug wrote:Tim, we expect to see photos of the car in your garage wrapped in Christmas paper with a large ribbon (colour, your choice).
No, not photos, but a video of you tearing at the wrapping paper. :bouncyyellow:

I bet it'll make the excitement you felt as a child on Christmas morning rather restrained by comparison :santa: :santa:

Geoff
Slightly OT, in February 2003 when I was out searching for my (so far only) E-Type I found myself in the E-Type Centre in the hamlet of Chilcote. Also there on the day I viewed the stock and chose the car I was to purchase some 3 months later, was a chap who was collecting his E-Type (S1 OTS, I think) after some post sales fettling. As I recall the car have been delivered to him on Xmas Eve as a surprise from his wife. My memory tells me he drove back to Taunton. Was that anyone on this list?
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#22 Re: My new OTS

Post by Gfhug » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:13 pm

Tim, how about an update? A big bow on it ready for Christmas? :bigrin:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
tim wood
Great Britain

#23 Re: My new OTS

Post by tim wood » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:23 am

Happy Christmas gentlemen (& ladies)

It’s about time I posted an update on my purchase from the US.
As I mentioned previously we went over to visit the seller and finalise the deal. Having done that we went for a short holiday around Southern California. One thing I can say is that traffic is unbelievable, it simply is the city of the car. Public transport is difficult. We visited the usual tourist spots over a 10 day period whilst the car was collected by the shipping company.

The plan being that the shippers would collect from the seller and transport in a dedicated container to Milton Keynes which is near where I live. Sounds simple and in effect it was. We had a slight issue in that the seller wanted to keep the original title whereas I wanted it to support the UK registration process. Sense prevailed and I took the title document which then has to be securely delivered to the shipping company depot in the US.
We chose tracked mail next day service at 25 dollars! Despite this the document went astray for a week or so which was a concern.

Anyway the ship left Los Angeles with a planned arrival in Southampton of the 13th December. I was expecting a long period of customs clearance but not so. Within 6hours the car was ready to collect.

I picked it up with a friend on Tuesday last week and now resides in my garage. NOVA is completed but I haven’t yet had a response to this and am told it can take some weeks. Once I have this and a MOT then I can apply for a registration document.

The car is pretty much as expected with one or two unexpected issues. A significant one being a leak from a rear brake caliper. Although I crawled under the car during inspection I didn’t pick this up. My plan anyway is to use the front calipers on the rear and Volvo units on the front. The hood fit it tighter then I expected but I think this will soften with use.
Generally the car looks unmolested and it’s pleasing to see some original fasteners clearly undisturbed.

I’ve just taken off the AMCO bars as I couldn’t stand them any longer. These are FOC if anyone wants them !

This small modification along with changing to series 1 exhausts will improve the look no end. The car is a series 1.5 so small mouth, open headlights series 1 rear end and series 2 interior.

Lots of work to do but I’ve promised that I won’t disturb Christmas!

If anyone wants more detail on the import process and documents I’m happy to help.

Best wishes to all

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#24 Re: My new OTS

Post by 288gto » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:43 pm

Glad it's arrived safely Tim, and look forward to more photos.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic