E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#1 E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:10 pm

At Coys auction last week were s few E Type s up for sale and this one caught my eye . A 4.2 lightweight replica and on the whole a well executed car and conversion ( apparently it was a coupe the start off with ) obviously with what I'm building at mo I was like a bee round a honey pot with it . It had Ali doors bonnet and boot lid . Yep one handsome car very very clean . It sold for 130K on the hammer so there would be some comision on top too . Then because I'm a bit of an anorak I took some photos in some of the more hidden areas

Zoom in this is up in the A pillar around door hinge .... lack of clear coat /just a light coating of paint. A hole with cable going through with no grommet around it and a birds nest of wiring . :wow: . Now I'm not saying that Coys was selling rubbish cars on anything like that as usually it's buyer beware. What winds me up is some one has paid probably very very good money to have this car built by a "renowned " E builder (it said so in the catalogue blurb ) and it's still been done to a " thatll do standard " :banghead: yep I know it's not my problem but that really gets my goat grrrrr .
Worth going to these auctions a real eye opener
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by cactusman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:39 pm

Looks pretty poor. Crimped connectors in blue and red...a give away of a bodge...I HATE them...awful things....even worse than bullet joiners. My car was infested with them by a PO. I have systematically removed the infestation :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#3 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:00 am

When you have rebuilt/restored a car from the ground up you suddenly realise that when you buy a car from anywhere, dealer, auction orprivate its very very difficult to determine exactly what you are paying for. What with the plethora of poor quality of parts, and the unseen internal components of the various rotating bits it is and I guess always has been 'buyer beware'
That's why the very top cars are subjected to a lot of due diligence bur the prospective buyers and the top. top cars are also subject to lawyers DD to confirm the provenance. People like Chris Keith-Lucas especially are consulted on original Dtypes and listers etc.
All of that said the issues you have identified on this lightweight replica are obviously very concerning and would put me off.

Best regards

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#4 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by AshM » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Julian

Regarding connectors - would be keen to know what you like to use. Always looking for good recommendations - I have some of those horrid red/blue crimps to sort.

thanks
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#5 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by cactusman » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:38 pm

I use either soldered brass bullets or soldered spade (Lucas) terminals with suitable insulating sleeves. I use traditional lead based solder....properly soldered joints do not fail.... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#6 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:10 pm

I don't mind using the red or blue connectors l have a proper rachet crimping tool once crimped with that you could toe a vehicle with the conector but i also try to cover all with black heat shrink
It's true what cactus man said about a well soldered joint being very strong , but you have to be careful not to let the solder run up the wire , this has a habbit of making the wire brital and this is why I prefer well crimped over solder
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#7 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by 44DHR » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:01 pm

Regarding alternative joints, has anyone used those heat shrink solder joints for butt joints when joining two wires ?
They look very neat with a clear heat shrink cover over the solder joint incorporating waterproof seals each side, but as they use a low temperature solder, just wondered if this could be a problem if the joint was subject to further heat once spliced ?
Regards,
Dave
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#8 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by malcolm » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am

Don't people just twiddle the bare wires around each other and seal with sellotape? :bigrin:
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by mgcjag » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:46 am

Hi Dave.....just looked at these low temp joint sleeves......not convinced on the quality of the solder joint......many years ago when i worked for BT i literally soldered thousands of joints........a "dry joint" where solder dosnt flow properly is the one thing you dont want( a good joint should look shiney..a dry looks dull).......personally you cant beat a soldered joint....and as Julian has mentioned previously use solder with a lead content and mulit cored containing flux.....then use a heat shrink sleeve....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by cactusman » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:23 pm

As Steve says....shines is good. Looks dull is bad. Personal taste to a degree but the crimped blue/yellow/red terminations just look naff to me. And they were never a feature on factory cars either. Beware also that the quality of connectors does vary. Cheap ones tend to be economical with the thickness of the metal and then no matter how crimped they are they loosen...same applies to cheap crimpers for a few quid on well known auction sites. If you are going to use them get quality terminations and a quality and expensive set of crimpers and the right jaw sets for the terminals you need. Their one advantage is speed. For me though....60/40 tin/lead for me :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#11 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 am

malcolm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am
Don't people just twiddle the bare wires around each other and seal with sellotape? :bigrin:
Poser! At least confirm you used your teeth to strip the insulation and tear the tape off the roll?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#12 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by cactusman » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 am

I presume that's sellotape of course!!
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#13 Re: E Type race rep sold at auction nice car ?????

Post by malcolm » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:40 am

PeterCrespin wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:27 am
malcolm wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:26 am
Poser! At least confirm you used your teeth to strip the insulation and tear the tape off the roll?
Of course I use teeth. Mind you, it's a bugger when the sellotape attaches to your lips and you rip some lip-skin off as you tear.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic