Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#1 Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Barry » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 pm

I am getting really cross with a certain spare parts company in Bridgenorth, having just received the latest parcel today. I felt compelled to comment on the forum, as the quality is just awful. A replacement Kienzle clock for an S3, which is not a faithful repro. The clock face just does not resemble the original, plastic instead of glass on the front of the clock; switch description panel which won’t fit properly having grooves cut out on the bottom as well as top. Gauges with the wrong bezel. The transmission cover trim is so flimsy compared with the original, it bends when you have it finally in place, but splits as a result of fitting it in position. Windscreen wiper arms scratched, window winders falling apart. I could go on, but suffice to say if you are keen to try and get replacement parts which are comparable in every way with the original, these guys fall well short. If you are on a very tight budget and just want to keep the car going, then I can understand SNGB will suffice. The alternative is much more expensive, but the quality a million miles better. Just check to find out what you are getting, and at least if the parts are not up to muster they will refund you without question.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by mgcjag » Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Hi Barry....have you discussed this with the owner..Julian Barratt
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by christopher storey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Barry wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:49 pm
The alternative is much more expensive, but the quality a million miles better. Just check to find out what you are getting, and at least if the parts are not up to muster they will refund you without question.
But who is the more reliable alternative ? A recommendation would be very useful . I have found David Manners to be very much on a par with SNGB - and to make it clear I have never really had any quality or service issues with parts from either of them . However, I should say that I have always gone to BAS for trim, and been very satisfied with their service and quality

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Bfastr
United States of America

#4 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Bfastr » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:07 pm

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure all the clocks were a plastic face, not glass. the smiths gauges are glass, but even the S2 smiths clock is a plastic face.

having said that, I do feel your pain. I have bins full of less than acceptable re-pop parts collected over the years, from virtually every seller. I will admit I am a bit of a perfectionist, so while some parts I bought may have done the job, I just didn't like the quality and bought additional parts from other sources.
Bob F

69 S2 E-type OTS LHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#5 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Barry » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:03 pm

I’ll talk to Julian tomorrow, Steve. Like having a bad meal in a restaurant, if you don’t have a word, they are not going to understand the various issues, and I know he is always concerned about quality. It is just that the issues keep repeating themselves. The original clock had a beveled face, with Kienzle printed on it. The original is glass, but the replacement is plastic......I’ll let you know how I get on.

I think SC provide a better quality product, but twice the price. I don’t mind paying that for the correct part.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#6 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by cactusman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:52 pm

I have dealt with SNGB regularly. I did have a huge issue with a repro Lucas 2SJ washer pump...it was crap...BUT SNGB not only accepted it was not fit for purpose but 're engineered it completely and sent me the new version which, while not maybe visually 100% perfect, was extremely close and far better under the hood so to speak. Other than that I have had few major issues and they are always most helpful on the phone. Same goes for Dave Manners...

I have bought from SC...as you say they are not always the cheapest...

Xk's unlimited are (were) good although Moss Europe have bought their spares business so we shall see...

By and large though we are very fortunate to have both the range of suppliers and the parts availability we do have. There is no excuse for rubbish stuff and the consumer trading regs provide us with adequate redress if we are sent substandard bits.... complain if stuff is rubbish but no harm in praise where praise is due....by and large we are very lucky.... :salute:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#7 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Barry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:50 am

Well, credit where credit is due, Julian Barratt has sent me an email as he is most concerned about the comments. He contacted me before I to him. Impressive. I hope to talk to Julian tomorrow on the phone about my comments, and I am sure, as noted by others, he will listen and work hard to put things right.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#8 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:00 pm

Today I've just received two combined orders from SNGB which were only ordered yesterday, so can't complain on that score. All the parts look good on first inspection so again no complaints there either.
I have to agree with earlier comments that in the past SNGB were very responsive to the occassional quality issue.
The only one that actually stands out for me was the replacement fuel tank sump I bought some time ago. It had completely the wrong size of internal thread at the top. They admitted that they hadn't sold many, or in fact possibly any, so were unaware of the problem. The fact they decided to reproduce an item that hardly ever needs replaced, speaks volumes for their commitment in my book. In addition they're generally very reasonably priced compared to some of their US contemporaries.
All said and done I think they provide a generally excellent service.

Cheers

Alan

P.S I'm not related to Julian Barratt in anyway.
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#9 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Barry » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:41 pm

I have this very minute just put the phone down having spoken to Julian Barratt following on from his concern about my posts on this forum. Having been critical about some of their products over the last day or so, how good is it when Julian, the owner of the company, makes a genuine effort to make immediate contact to listen to my comments and put things right. One of the points which came out of the discussion was the importance of describing a part correctly so as not to mislead customer expectations. The Kienzle clock being one example. If I had known it was not an exact replica of the original, it would have made a difference in my purchase decision. Alternatively, there are E-type owners out there where the obsession with complete originality is not the issue, and perhaps a clock that works or is good value is the priority. I was also impressed that some of the other items I had commented on were either on Julian’s radar to resolve, or had been modified because of customer comment. Rome was never built in a day, and it would be unreasonable to expect everything to be 100% perfect, but it is clear SNGB care about their customers and try very hard to satisfy, and on those occasions where perhaps they don’t, there is a real commitment to learn about the problem, and an attempt to put it right. In conclusion, please carry on and support the work that SNGB do, and if something is not quite right, then pick up a phone or email Julian Barratt or his quality control team on the basis they will listen and try very hard to find a solution to your problem.
It is always easy to kick arse when things do not go to plan, but another thing altogether to give credit where credit is due. Thank you Julian.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by cactusman » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:20 pm

:bigrin: :bigrin: for SNGB...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#11 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:30 am

I've seen several plastic clocks on S2/S3. Even ruined the first one I came across by unwittingly using a solvent that had been working fine on the other (i.e. glass) instruments of course...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tricky1.5
Australia

#12 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Tricky1.5 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:28 am

Hi Barry,
Could you perhaps share with me Julian’s contact details. I have just been sent a very expensive fuel tank that is clearly damaged. There sales team inform me this is basically part of the new design.
I love being treated like an idiot!
I would like to talk to Julian directly before I post pictures of the new standard fuel tank.
Cheers,
Richard
1968 series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#13 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Heuer » Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 pm

Suggest you contact Julian via email - he is very responsive: julian@sngbarrattgroup.com
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#14 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by cactusman » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:12 pm

And extremely helpful too... :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#15 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Barry » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Hi Richard
I think you will find that if you ring SNGB, and ask to speak to Julian, they will put you through. I am absolutely sure you will get a very helpful, honest and positve response from him not only to answer questions about your complaint, but also to find an acceptable solution. What has impressed me is his unstinting efforts to achieve the best quality they can, and the effort they will go to rectify things when that quality is not met.

Regards
Barry

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tricky1.5
Australia

#16 Re: Poor Quality Replacement Parts

Post by Tricky1.5 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:11 am

Thanks gentlemen,
I’ll call and give him a chance to resolve the situation. If anyone is looking to purchase a fuel tank from SNG you should PM me and I’ll let you see what to expect.
Cheers,
Richard
1968 series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic