another one back on the road......

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
norman m. macleod
Australia

#1 another one back on the road......

Post by norman m. macleod » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:49 pm

Hi all,
After six long years of sweat 'n tears, another E saved from the scrap bin and on the road again......Perhaps only an 'umble old Series 1 2+2, but idolized by my grand-daughter, ( an 8-year-old devotee of the marque.....) Bought as an engineless (is that a real adjective......?) basket case, and having had a transplant of a highly modified XJ6 Series III 4.2 propulsion unit mated to a 5-speed JT5, with brakes (front and rear....) by Uryk of (the then E-Type Fabs.....) it will serve as a (truly everyday.....) daily driver. There are no pretences towards the "originality" cult (save and except the exterior.......) I mean, why bother, it's "only a 2+2".....This latter comment, from the local Jaguar Club, fuelled my departure, in high dudgeon, after only 1 year of membership. I'm not sure, in truth, that anybody noticed......!! :roll: :roll:
As some members may be aware, we are saddled with the terrible responsibility ( in Western Australia....), of having to put up with 300 days of sunshine per annum, no knowledge of the restrictions of grit 'n salt 'n such....Snow and ice exist only on Christmas cards.....However, someone has to put up with such privations, we soldier on......
It only has 150 miles on the clock over the past 2-3 days, but going well....I must thank all those who responded to my (oftentimes....) basic queries and calls for help and assistance......All greatly appreciated. Now I'm going to attempt to attach a pic of the said vehicle, but, given my limited IT skills, cannot promise anything......
Best regards to all,
Norman

1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
norman m. macleod
Australia

#2 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by norman m. macleod » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi all (again).....
I'm unsure as to why the pics that I (surprise surprise....successfully....) attached, came out in duplicate.... However, emboldened by the (partial....) success, I shall try another couple. My failure to come to terms with IT in general, over the past 74 years, may not influence the outcome in the slightest....Here goes, anyway......

Not too sure if that worked,

Yes, it may have....but still in duplicate (??) what am I doing wrong......??
I find the difference in height between the E-Type and the modern "Mini" quite amazing, I'm old enough to recall the original 1959 Mini, which was pretty low, as I recall.......??
Best regards to All,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

H7OB
Great Britain

#3 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by H7OB » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 pm

Hello Norman,

The car looks stunning and a credit to you! The pics say it all, so forget the nay-sayers!

Nows the time to enjoy it, particularly as you’ve got the weather!
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

phil.dobson@mac.com
Great Britain

#4 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by phil.dobson@mac.com » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:45 pm

Stunning looking motor car. Well done.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#5 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by malcolm » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:42 pm

Looks great to me - from an even more "only a" series 2 2+2
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#6 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Gfhug » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:20 pm

Norman, wonderful news. Always appreciated your old school manners and it's great to see your car on the road and your improving IT skills. And to have a new generation appreciating the marque is good to hear.
A mere 300 days of sunshine, at least 100 miles per sunshine day, that's a lot of miles per year. Be careful or you'll have to overhaul the car in a few years :wink:
Let's hope you'll not have anything to do other than enjoying the car and showing off your humble 2+2

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by mgcjag » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Hi Norman...looks stunning......have deleted the duplicate photos... Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#8 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:08 pm

Norman, stunning looking car. Congratulations.

Always remember, you have a variant of the most beautiful car ever built.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#9 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Kember17 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:35 pm

Norman,

As someone far behind you in restoring an S1 2+2 (in my case with a Chevy cuckoo of an engine and gearbox in it), I doff my hat - beautiful job. Enjoy every day of it.

I am envious: my car will reside in Northern Italy where there are allegedly at least 280-290 days of sun a year, although the microclimate by Lake Maggiore does not preclude daily rain as well! The rain, and the salt and gritting between November and March, mean that I don't think I'll get half as much use as you out of my car once its done.

You are also lucky that your granddaughter is keen on it. My 19 y.o. son grumps about the "rust bucket" and the cost of restoring it - he thinks I should buy a G Wagen instead. Neither is he impressed with the XJR6 which he thinks is a bit golf club, nor my two Alfas (one with a Nord engine, the other with the V6 Busso). Well, as he does not view my automotive real estate as a sensible heritable asset, I probably won't leave my cars to the bugger!

Many happy (and not too incident-laden) miles!

Peter

BTW, I do hope that you are close to a coastal breeze. WA can be a bit fearsome if you are sat in an un-air-conditioned sardine can!
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NWplasterers
Great Britain

#10 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by NWplasterers » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Hi Norman,and we'll done you !!
I have a S1 2+2 and I love it as I'm sure you do yours.
It's what I could afford and that's that !
I did take it to an independent Jag garage in Kent
last year and when I said to the proprietor that "there's
a couple of things wrong with her" his instant reply was
"It's a 2+2 for a start",and I'm 100% sure he wasn't indulging in banter. But I won't name any names and he'll never get any business from me. It's not like I go near Yalding that often anyway !
But it's heartening to read all the positive replays to your photos showing us your beautiful pride and joy with not a hint of snobbery anywhere.
I hope you enjoy many many miles in her !!

Neil.
1966 S1 2+2,68 mk 2,97 xk8.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#11 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by politeperson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:24 pm

Nothing wrong with a 2+2, very nice car indeed, looks like excellent workmanship.

Definitely easier to get in and out of than the swb models!

Congratulations!
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
norman m. macleod
Australia

#12 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by norman m. macleod » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:38 am

Hi All,
Many thanks for your kind comments......much appreciated. Apologies for the inordinate delay in my response, but have been up in Indonesia for a couple of weeks. Car is going like a train, but am exercising restraint for the next seven or eight hundred miles, gentle(-ish) running-in period.
Specific thanks to Steve(mcg.jag) for fixing my duplication error with the pics, also response to Peter(Kember17) re driving the car in Western Australian (hot....) conditions. I omitted to mention, Peter, that I had fitted air-conditioning to the vehicle......(Albeit only conditioned through-flow, recirculated was a bit too complicated.....!!) However, every few degrees reduction are a boon, down here....... :smile: :smile: ......
Today was only 37 deg.C ambient..... :sad: :sad: ......
Absolutely wonderful Forum.......Thanks again to all
Best regards,
Norman :Scotland:
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#13 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Mark Gordon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 pm

I join the others, Norman, in offering my congratulations on the beautiful restoration work and I wish you many happy, trouble-free miles of motoring! It's often been said (because it's true) that the best E Type is the one that you own. They all have their pluses and minuses and you should just ignore any negative comments since they often are based in envy. One word of advice, don't be afraid to put the hammer down on the loud pedal during the break in period. Short bursts of hard acceleration, particularly after the first 500 miles or so are necessary to properly seat the rings and minimize oil burning. Attempts at gently breaking the engine in just result in glazing of the chamber walls and subsequent blow-by of combustion gasses. Drive it like you stole it!
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#14 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by PeterCrespin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:33 pm

Nice one Norman. Whose are the headlight trims?

Pete
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
norman m. macleod
Australia

#15 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by norman m. macleod » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Pete,
Headlamps trims are from the Stefan Wahlsinn kit (www.e-type-only.com).........Thanks also to Steve for his kind comments.....and don't worry, it gets a hefty jab on the loud pedal from time to time.....!! :wink: :wink:
Best regards,
Norman.
1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#16 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Jeremy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:17 pm

Lovely car Norman, superb work.
Mark's point about giving it some welly is exactly what Rob Beere told me when I collected my engine from him after its rebuild. He says it is very important to DRIVE it to bed the rings in. No labouring or over-revving but push it hard. I cannot wait. I had always assumed you had to treat a new engine with kid gloves. How wrong I was.
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jaguar63
United States of America

#17 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Jaguar63 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Norman
Well done👍 it is absolutely beautiful. The view looking down that elegant bonnet while driving isn't different than any e-type made. Owning any e-type puts you in a class all by itself. You will find it to be a wonderful jag to drive anytime (I live in the Hudson Valley area of NYS) and it rains more often as I like to say to purists "it has windshield wipers and a heater". Driving at night you see the wonderful gauges illuminated. Driving more than 50,000 miles since 1998 with three years off for a bare metal respray. I love driving an e-type, you will too. Enjoy your beautiful e-type as often as you can. Again congratulations on a great restoration of a beautiful e-type. Frank
Frank B 63 E type coupe BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jaguar63
United States of America

#18 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by Jaguar63 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi Norman
You can see I used beautiful many times, I guess you know by that I'm a big e-type fan🏁. Your engine has modifications that might appeal to others. Can you describe what was done. The engine really looks great and I'm sure you receive many inquires regarding the mods. On another note my friend sold a yellow series two OTS to an Australian. If you come across one with Dunlop wheels and a modified engine, go up and ask if it came from NJ USA.
Frank
Frank B 63 E type coupe BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
norman m. macleod
Australia

#19 Re: another one back on the road......

Post by norman m. macleod » Tue May 08, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi all,
Apologies to all who have responded, and didn't get much in the way of a polite/deserved/sensible response....As you would have noted, have been up in Indo (Jakarta....) where half of my family lives, including my E-Type-loving grand-daughter (8-y.o.- ......!!) lives......see attached Pic with my friend's S2 OTS , ......been back there over the last few months.......
Anyway, I am concerned that I may have given the impression that I held the 2+2 in lower esteem than other variants........not at all......in my opinion (and my grand-daughter's.....) we feel it is the most practical version (she may be biased .....but truly loves her back seat and the awesome acceleration.....) 'Nuff said..?
Thanks for your kind comments Geoff.........My views in this matter are balanced by the wisdom acquired in remembrance of the 4.2 Series 2 FHC I bought new at the Scottish Motor Show in November 1969, aged 24 y.o., boyo......those were the days, probably more money than sense (?).......
Best regards,
Norman :Scotland: (Long time ago ...............)

1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic