Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Danboo
Ireland

#1 Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Danboo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:10 pm

Hello all,

My first post.

I bought a 69 coupe and am having it fully refurbished. I am down to the very end of it now and would like some advice.

the car is currently signal red - its original colour. I intend to change this to either, Regent Red or a Dark British Racing Green.

My question is this. is it ok both for heritage and holding value, if i change the colour to BRG? BRG is within the Series 2 vintage. I've looked at a sample of both colours on panels of my car this morning and both look fantastic. I want to go with BRG as I think its the perfect colour for an etype, but will happily go with Regent, if needs be.

I do not intend to ever sell my car, but at the same time, i don't want to be stupid. So, in your experience, would changing the colour to BRG devalue my 69 Series 2 Coupe, or not?

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#2 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:22 pm

I don't think it would. If you'd ordered the car new and wanted it BRG then you could have special ordered it.

It's your car, do what you want to it. BRG is a lovely colour.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Danboo
Ireland

#3 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Danboo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Thanks Stu,

Its an import into ireland so didnt even have the log book (but has matching numbers).

The irish log book (and the origional one in England, I assume) says "Red". My worry was having the origional heritage paper (which I'll get from Jag Heritage) saying the car was Red, but then having the car BRG might "offend/upset" buyers and owners.

I'll take your mail as you believe changing to BRG will not depress value.

One twist in the tale. When i sent the car in to have the beige interior renewed / resprayed / tarted up---they gave it back to me "Biscuit". As it happens, Biscuit matched with BRG and Regent in later years. So, i'm stuck with biscuit now - though it is very nice.

thanks for your advice.

Dan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Peter27
Great Britain

#4 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Peter27 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:38 pm

Stuart is correct. The marginal improvement in resale value in having YOUR car in the original colour, is not worth the self-flagellation every time you get your car out and wish you had had it painted BRG. Just concentrate on getting the best possible paint finish, which is a lot more important than the hue. Good luck in completing the car.
1963 3.8 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Danboo
Ireland

#5 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Danboo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanks Peter.

Greatly appreciate your common sense approach to this. and helps me to make up my mind.

Dan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#6 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by Series1 Stu » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:57 pm

My heritage certificate says Carmen Red, black interior and left hand drive. It's none of those things but I don't care. Maybe my kids might when they sell it for probate but I'll be beyond worrying about it.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#7 Re: Advice please - Changing colour on a Series 2.

Post by AussieEtype » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 pm

Peter27 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:38 pm
having YOUR car in the original colour, is not worth the self-flagellation every time you get your car out and wish you had had it painted BRG.
I agree completely - In 1982 I was in the UK and wanted a Series 3 manual - the only one I could find in my price range was a Black Automatic so i bought it - have regretted it for the 36 years I have had it - at the time Black was yuk (not so now though) and an auto was not my choice.

After all the self-flagellation I am changing it to Signal Red (should have picked Auzure Blue) and it has a 5 speed box done before kits became available.

As has been said - it is your car, do with it what you want - just make sure it is in with the style of the car and the changes are professional not bodged like my 5 speed was (getting that fixed).

BRG looks great on any E-type. Regency red is pretty cool too. 8-)

Garry
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic