New MOT rules

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 New MOT rules

Post by chrisfell » Thu May 10, 2018 7:47 am

For those of us with cars that are likely to be MOT'd under the new rules, regardless of the exemption afforded by the age of our cars, two new tests will apply, and the test will categorise defects differently.

The new test has four categories of defect.
DANGER. These are the defects that are so serious the car cannot be driven on the road.
MAJOR. These are the defects that must be fixed before the MOT certificate can be awarded.
MINOR. There are the defects that must be fixed, but the car can be awarded a pass.
ADVISORY. These, as before are notes of potential future defects.

One I've already memntioned in another thread, is that brake fluid now becomes testable. The test is visual, and the top of the reservoir is not removed. If the reservoir is not transparent, there is no test. If the fluid is anythng other than clean, clear and pale in colour, the tester may want to fail on that point. The failure is a major item, meaning the MOT pass certificate will not be awarded.

The other new item is fluid leak. This does not cover washer or radiator fluid, but those fluids that are likely to be considered environmentally harmful or a driving hazard. In other words - oil. The test is simple. The engine is left running at tickover for five minutes. If after that time drops of any fluid are found to have formed that are greater in total than a 3inch diameter pool, it is a Major failure, or if the fluid is continually leaking, a Dangerous failure.

On the basis that my bag of nails leaks copious amounts of oil from both ends of the engine, and the gearbox and the diff, I may have to do something. First thing will be to (a) clean the engine and gearbox and diff unit thoroughly, and (b) perform a mock-MOT test to see how close to the failure criteria my car is. Only then will I either panic or breath a sigh of relief.

Caveat. As with all things where people are invovled in a process, the interpretation of these new rules will be down to the individual tester on the day. Likewise, this is my interpretation of the new MOT testers manual. Others may read it differently.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#2 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Ikebaddog » Thu May 10, 2018 8:10 am

But is your car not exempt from the MOT test now?
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#3 Re: New MOT rules

Post by chrisfell » Thu May 10, 2018 8:19 am

Ikebaddog wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:10 am
But is your car not exempt from the MOT test now?
Yes it is, but here's the rub. If you get stopped by Plod, and your self certified car is leaking oil such that it would fail this new test, you can be fined up to £2,500, be banned from driving and get 3 penalty points for driving a vehicle in a dangerous condition.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: New MOT rules

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 10, 2018 8:20 am

So that exactly the same as the day after you passed the mot and then get a leak....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#5 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Herzeg » Thu May 10, 2018 8:25 am

Chris

If you have that much oil coming out I would be more worried if it had enough oil to get it to the test station :fingerscrossed:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#6 Re: New MOT rules

Post by AshM » Thu May 10, 2018 8:46 am

For me, it’s a none issue.

Mine will go for a full MOT annually and I will fix anything that caused a failure.
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: New MOT rules

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 am

So just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, you do realise that if you get a fail through not road worthy you shouldnt be driving the car home or to another garage to get it fixed.....even if your old certificate has not yet run out and you go for an mot early if it fails its immediately registered as a failure..... Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#8 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Simon P » Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 am

Fill up with this stuff when you present for MOT:

https://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/prod ... g-oil.html

Environmental concerns about dropping oil taken care of (smells lovely too)!

:bigrin:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#9 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Gfhug » Thu May 10, 2018 11:46 am

And hope there's no fumes coming into the car or it'll be a genuine go-faster product :lol:

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ikebaddog
Great Britain

#10 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Ikebaddog » Thu May 10, 2018 2:36 pm

I’ve never had plod check a Car for an oil Leak???
How long will he wait? 5 minutes, a week???
John
S3 2+2 1971
Aston V8 Vantage 2006
Caterham Supersprint 1.7 1989
Jeep Wrangler TJ

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#11 Re: New MOT rules

Post by chrisfell » Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 9:05 am
So just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons, you do realise that if you get a fail through not road worthy you shouldnt be driving the car home or to another garage to get it fixed.
Not any more.

The two categories of failure, Dangerous and Major are differentiated thus. Dangerous means do not drive anywhere. Major means go away and get it fixed within 7 days for a free re-test.

And in reply to another question, if the car springs an oil leak driving out of the test centre, Yes it is unroadworthy, and if the leak is profuse, dangerous and the car should be trailered to a repair shop. The MOT is a test of compliance at an instance, not a guarantee that the car will remain compliant for a whole year.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#12 Re: New MOT rules

Post by mgcjag » Thu May 10, 2018 5:14 pm

The new rules state that a dangerous or a major are both failures ....Major means get it fixed but its still recorded as a failure..this means you are not supposed to drive the vehicle on the road.....or am i missing something..can you point me to where it says if you fail on a Major you can still legaly drive the car home to get it fixed...Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#13 Re: New MOT rules

Post by christopher storey » Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm

Believe me, to have a leak that extends to a diameter of 3 inches within 5 minutes you need a very major leak indeed . My S2 leaks from the rear of the engine quite noticeably but the most I have ever seen is a drop of perhaps 1 cm in size every few minutes . But in any event, one of the reasons why old vehicles are now exempted from the test is that it is unrealistic for them to be judged by the standards of modern vehicles. This is made clear if you consult the vehicle tester's manual where , particularly for very old vehicles with eg single rear lights, or rear only brakes, such standards are expressly excluded

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#14 Re: New MOT rules

Post by Herzeg » Fri May 11, 2018 8:02 am

I definately will get mine done every year just as an independant check. The guy who tested mine last month loves old cars and builds hot rods. He said that if you have a major accident then it is good if you can show the a piece of paper that says it was tested and complied with the rules at that point. If you don't have this then the insurance company might ask for proof that you have maintained the car.

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic