Metalifacture jack - Knurled screw and Spring Clips

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#1 Metalifacture jack - Knurled screw and Spring Clips

Post by db7gtgrigio » Mon May 28, 2018 3:56 am

At the weekend I had cause to inspect my jack in the S2 FHC. I'm pretty sure it is the original Metalifacture jack.

At the bottom of the bag I found the knurled circular disc that you can use to raise and lower the jack, plus 2 spring clips, which presumably are designed to secure aforementsioned knurled disc.

The spring clips seem designed to lock securely to the square end of the jack shaft. However, mine do not even touch the sides of the sqaure shaft, presumably the reason for knurled disc falling off.

I believe these spring clips are available from Richard Smith, but I would be very pleased to hear how they are fitted and the orientation of the 2 dished spring clips (and why there are two...)

many thanks in advance
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#2 Re: Metalifacture jack - Knurled screw and Spring Clips

Post by Heuer » Mon May 28, 2018 10:51 am

They push on the shaft concave side facing the knurled knob. There are two of them for security of fixing, one on top of the other. They are spring steel but you could try crushing them slightly in a vice until they become difficult to push on to the shaft and then use an appropriate drift (e.g. hex socket) to tap them in place with a hammer.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
db7gtgrigio
Australia

#3 Re: Metalifacture jack - Knurled screw and Spring Clips

Post by db7gtgrigio » Mon May 28, 2018 11:05 pm

Great, that was perfect, all done. I suspect that the fell off because I lowered the jack too far, which seems to push the spring clips off......
Chris, Sydney AUS
1969 4.2 FHC 1R20280

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic