Built by Many

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#61 Re: Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:07 pm

Mini episode with Will Haynes explaining what colour the diff should be which may cause some controversy!:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#62 Re: Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:05 pm

To add more detail to what Will said in the above video:

The final drive gear carrier casting was sealed inside and out with Glyptal paint. The Glyptal, an Insulating Alkyd Enamel Paint using a resin of glycerol phthalate, first made by General Electric in 1926, was used both inside and outside the diff casting to seal it and improve oil circulation. The idea was to encapsulate any last bits of molding core sand or grit and seal the surface of the iron which might have some pits in it. Glyptal is a 'dipping' paint so the new castings were immersed into a bath of the paint and then allowed to air dry. The bearing surfaces were then machined, covered in grease paper and sent to Jaguar for assembly. Originally black Glyptal was used but this was changed to red Glyptal gloss sometime after the first 500 cars because the black contained aluminium powder. The red colour of the new differential casings seems to have caught Jaguar by surprise as the pressed steel carrier covers had been ordered separately, finished in black. The Jaguar solution was to overpaint the red Glyptal external finish with black. The paint used was clearly not a good match for the (non-stick) Glyptal and literally washed off over time. This is from a 1961 car:

At some point Mr Arthur Whittaker, Jaguar Chief Buyer and cost cutter, must have got involved and insisted the gear carriers be left in their native red and instructed the carrier rear covers be painted to match from the supplier. I have not researched when these changes happened although the chronology is difficult to establish. Some owners claim their diffs are red but have not factored in the fact the black paint, easily mistaken for dirt, is quickly removed when the diff is cleaned with de-greaser. So black initially, red over-painted with black secondly and red finally.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ralphr1780
Belgium

#63 Re: Built by Many

Post by ralphr1780 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Thanks David for shedding more light on this matter. The other particular feature of Glyptal is its high heat and chemical resistance (such as to leaking brake fluid from nearby callipers). The black paint applied on top is indeed easily removed by pressure wash or cleaners.
I was as well convinced that the diff casing should be red, the Glyptal finish is such a nice glaze in my IRS that it can wait some time before a new black coat is applied :oops:
Ralph
'69 OTS + '62 OTS - Belgium

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

angelw
Australia

#64 Re: Built by Many

Post by angelw » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:08 pm

David Wrote:
So black initially, red over-painted with black secondly and red finally.
Hello David,
In my opinion, there must have been a shift back to Black for Series 3 cars. I'm yet to see an S3 with a Red Oxide coloured Diff Housing and I've handled plenty commencing 1979. I currently have eight in work, with four showing clear evidence that the IRS were removed for the first time when we did so recently.

Regards,

Bill

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alastair_james_cox

#65 Re: Built by Many

Post by alastair_james_cox » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:46 am

Dear all,

Many thanks for the support and comments on Built By Many. This morning I've put the project on hold for the foreseeable future. Mainly as the original intention was a breakaway show with Edd China and as an enthusiasts restoration without him ... there's no real call for a dedicated studio or external filming and editing. Similarly Edd's fans are expecting him to be in the series. So it's just got off on the wrong foot.

All things considered and with the option to break the lease on the studio in the new year I've decided to take a break and have a think about how best to move forward. If all that comes of the project is a build thread here ... then all's still well with the world.' Many thanks too for everyone that's offered to help or support and I'll be in touch soon over email.

It's worth mentioning too that the E-Type Club, SNG Barratt, Practical Classics, Spin-It & Co. have all continued to offer their support and it's my own decision to put things on hold. So a big thanks and hats off to them.

Best wishes,

Al

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#66 Re: Built by Many

Post by Durango2k » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:16 pm

Hi Al,

I think one of the main questions is „why did Edd leave“ ? He‘d be the one who‘d make the difference....

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#67 Re: Built by Many

Post by politeperson » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:19 pm

Well good luck with the restoration.

You dont need a studio to post video updates thats for sure. You just need a garage to fix the car and a Go-pro

I have been following Hoovie and The Corvette Ben on Youtube for a while now. They are only a couple of channels out of loads. Their total budget for video production is approximately £zero. The content is excellent and many people subscribe.

So keep them coming. The world does not depend on Edd, lovely though he is.

James
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#68 Re: Built by Many

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi Al sorry to read this . was looking to be a good series . Anyway what ever happens filming wise . Let's hope you get your E back
On the road . By the way the offer of the bonnet dolly still stands when you get that far .... annnnd when my mate finishes with it . Regards Darren
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#69 Re: Built by Many

Post by Richardhealey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:18 pm

Hi Al, sorry to read this too. Now I understand why the Patreon subs have just been refunded.
Best of luck with whatever you decide to do and do hope you can continue in some form or another - I was really enjoying it.
Cheers,
Rich
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#70 Re: Built by Many

Post by christopher storey » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:52 pm

What a shame that it has come to a halt. I hope you will be able to get the E on the road somehow. I'm afraid I don't know who Ed China is, but the best of luck to you all who did get involved anyway

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#71 Re: Built by Many

Post by mystery type » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:54 pm

If all that comes of the project is a build thread here ..
So thats "Built by a Few" then :yellow:
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic