Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Wed May 30, 2018 2:08 pm

Just received this email from Julian Barratt:

"Hi David,

Not sure if this has been picked up yet by the forumistas but its quite an interesting project that we are getting involved in – Edd China is the TV guy you may know and he is doing it with an ex-Google guy called Al Cox who is a car nut but also brings loads of publicity and filming know how to the project. They are launching at XK70 officially but are trailing it now:

https://www.autoclassics.com/posts/news ... ube-series
https://builtbymany.com/

Hope of some interest..

Best regards

Julian"

So you can watch the full step by step restoration over the next 12 months on YouTube. Should be fascinating to watch and no doubt pull them up if they make mistakes! You can add comments to the YouTube videos. I will also try and keep things up to date with links and embedded video in this thread. Porter Publishing will be producing a book documenting the rebuild if the videos are not enough for you.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

#2 Re: Built by Many

Post by Turnip » Wed May 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Yikes. At least the brakes aren't seized!
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#3 Re: Built by Many

Post by mystery type » Wed May 30, 2018 5:19 pm

Should a 1968 have closed headlamps?
It has the S1 side/lights etc, yet
Looks like a S1.5 with rocker switches, and S2 ribbed cam covers
car not listed on XKE data.
They have set themselves a challenge selecting this model, will be
interesting to see how "correct" they intend to make it.
Always good to watch something E type :thankyouyellow:
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Wed May 30, 2018 5:32 pm

S1.5 in production until July 1968. Ribbed cam covers were on US cars only. Open headlights on US cars from Jan 1967, ROW cars from Jul 1967. Rocker switches were on the US cars from ~Sept 1967 but there are July 1968 RHD cars with toggle switches. Sensible choice of car to restore is the S1.5 as you can argue all day as to what is or is not correct :scratchheadyellow:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

alastair_james_cox

#5 Re: Built by Many

Post by alastair_james_cox » Thu May 31, 2018 9:45 am

Thanks Julian,

Looking forward to sharing the project with everyone and hope to start a build thread here once we get moving. This is the XKE Data listing:

http://www.xkedata.com/cars/detail/?car=1E35445

We'll be launching our show trailer tomorrow so in the short term anyone can subscribe for updates and comment over on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/builtbymany

Hope you all like the direction of the show ... just let us know!

Best, Al

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Built by Many

Post by Heuer » Thu May 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Looks a great show Al. You might want to consider popping in to see Angus Moss in Letchworth as he has the most original un-restored S1 4.2 FHC I have ever seen, certainly a more valuable resource for your purposes compared to 9600 HP which was a prototype and does not share almost anything with your S1.5.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rossbraithwaite
Great Britain

#7 Re: Built by Many

Post by rossbraithwaite » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:04 am

The teasers on YouTube so far look great. Welcome to the Forum Al & Edd, I look forward to following your progress on here and on YouTube. I have an ex-USA 1967 S1.5 FHC and am happy to help if you need anything. Sorry to be missing the launch at XK70 but hope to see your project at some point.
Ross
'67 S1.5 FHC, manual, maroon with black interior. Originally exported to Arizona but 'repatriated' in '89. Since converted to RHD and triple SUs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#8 Re: Built by Many

Post by Durango2k » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:07 am

Wrote a mail to the info@-address, whishing you success !

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#9 Re: Built by Many

Post by politeperson » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:22 pm

How are you going to get Edd into it?

He is a mighty tall fella!
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#10 Re: Built by Many

Post by mgcjag » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:21 pm

Saw the car today at the XK70 event.......i do hope the guys dont try one of there chemical dip processes to remove rust..becaus when it comes out of the tank there wont be much left..........this really is going to be a full on restoration......haveing said that iv seen far worse that have been fully rebuilt.....all the best guys.....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tony
Great Britain

#11 Re: Built by Many

Post by Tony » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:50 pm

He is not that big. Ed and I discussing how we should take the show forward.

Tony (E typed)

1962 E Type Series 1 Roadster (OTS)

Tony

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#12 Re: Built by Many

Post by Durango2k » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:13 pm

I‘ve just started to watch the first episode on youtube.

Is that 50 EE S1 a bit low on the nose? Are they supposed to sit that low? I am not sure, but I think my 2+2 is way higher upfront. Not that the underpan becomes scratched or dented....

Then, I have now seen the part where Al looks at 26 sections of the parts catalogue: my point of view:

Yes, it is a trade between old and new, time and money, when it comes to replacing parts. But I am very certain that if you swap a lot of „convenience parts“, like the starter or the heater box, you‘ll loose the soul of the car. Look, my starter is stamped 03/66, and your new one will not be like that ever again. My heater box needed a bottom and some tlc, and it‘s still the one that came with the car in 1966. my steering wheel has some scratches but is now polished with new wood. I saved the leather skins of the seats. I repaired all the instruments.

In the end, if you buy all that stuff new, its nothing more then Lego‘ing a new car together, scale 1:1. My goal always was and will always be to keep as many of it as possible, and I sometime go crude ways like opening a heater valve to repair it. Financially it makes no sense- but it keeps the car as it was 50 yrs ago.

Of course this way is the cheapest - but it takes an average man 10 years to go through a total restoration. The silver S2 on the big book took 9 or 10 years, mine did as well.

And I am a bit biased against upgrades. You will alter the feeling, which you may like or prefer, but to me the main part is „hey, this darn thing is sooo old, goes like hell, and it truely feels like 1966“. If I want a modern fast car, I simply hop in my everyday mercedes.

Keep it as they built it - do not built a parts catalogue replica. It will pay off in the long run.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lee-type
Great Britain

#13 Re: Built by Many

Post by lee-type » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:04 pm

Im really intrested to see where this show goes. I seen the car at XK70. Plenty to go at. I also hope the episodes are longer and go into plenty of detail.
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbiee

#14 Re: Built by Many

Post by Robbiee » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:42 pm

Hi all
It’s a fantastic project and should make good watching.
I’m looking forward to seeing it progress.

I’m a little surprised that they seem to be going down the route of replacing and “anything can be upgraded” instead of renovation...the heater box for example, which is a simple and cheap refurbishment.
Also I’ve driven the SNG Barratt car(thank you Julian) and whilst great fun I didn’t notice any difference in the pedal/throttle control compared to my ‘62 Coupe with conventional linkages!

They have the time and presumably funds for this rebuild so why not show how much can be redone and not replaced. In fact most of the parts I am refurbishing including some chromed parts have worked out cheaper than buying new(and they fit)!

It’ll be interesting to see whether the engine head ends up!

Incidentally, how does the 3.8 head fit on the 4.2 block, correct me if wrong but won’t the combustion chambers be offset a little?

Interested to hear others cmviews on refurbish or replace

Robbie
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#15 Re: Built by Many

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:24 pm

Refurbish every time. Aftermarket parts are, for the most part, just plain rubbish!

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#16 Re: Built by Many

Post by cactusman » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:04 am

Robbie. As you say the chambers will be offset. As far as I know the 3.8 heads were put on the early 4.2 engines anyway in the day. The bores were moved for the 4.2 but the heads remained essentially unaltered....and the offset was found to make no odds at the time.....but I might be wrong. David (heuer) will know for sure....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lee-type
Great Britain

#17 Re: Built by Many

Post by lee-type » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:27 am

Its interesting how the 3.8 head made its way over to the states.

My bet is the lords car is long gone. Why lets would you take a good head off?
Lee
S1 4.2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#18 Re: Built by Many

Post by Durango2k » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:38 am

Stu,

I think your post is a bit „too offence“ against the parts suppliers, especially against Julian from SNG.

It is not the case that „most“ repro parts are rubbish. Yes, there are often issues, but I can tell you how a car without ANY supply is likely to restore : I had to wreck out 17 Citroen SM the way along restoring mine, for me and getting parts for others. It can be a nightmare. Wanna pay a grand for a rear light? Welcome.

A large part of the E-Type fun is that there are still many cars around, their high prices partly rely on the broad availability of spares, and a lot of families in the midlands are still fed by the E- Type in fact (oh and by the MGBs and Triumphs and so on...).

So - to be able to buy spares from independent suppliers is a very good thing, they are not that expensive (have a walk to Mercedes to ask for an indicator stalk for a Pagoda and die in front of the counter from a severe attack), and yes, there will always be a pro and con debate about quality vs price.

Mercedes for example still make about anything for the Pagoda- but you cannot stand their prices. Sadly the private parts sales of course argue with factory prices, hence both sources are equally sky high.

This is not the case with the E-type, so we can be very happy the parts suppliers do exist, and maybe if both sides learn to listen a bit more and parts quality gets a bit up it‘ll be a dream.

Carsten

P.S. I have written above that I personally prefer to repair things instead of replacing against repros, for the sake of cost and originality. However, there is still a lot of items usually badly worn or lost, so you need a catalogue of spares like SNGs. So, repair as much as you can, be inventive like me (file down a set of lorry coals to save the starter or use inner bike tubes to make rubber gaskets etc.), and replace visible important items with good used factory spares if you can, but buy the rest from the suppliers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#19 Re: Built by Many

Post by christopher storey » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:34 am

cactusman wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:04 am
Robbie. As you say the chambers will be offset. As far as I know the 3.8 heads were put on the early 4.2 engines anyway in the day. The bores were moved for the 4.2 but the heads remained essentially unaltered...
The XK head remained unaltered in all essentials throughout the life of the engine, although there were changes in porting when the XK150S was introduced with the straight port head . About the only structural change made was to add the extra water passages at the back of the head from about 1967/8 onwards. I do not think, although I would not be dogmatic, that the combustion chambers were ever moved, so the offset remained throughout the whole life of the 4.2 size

Incidentally, the reason that the 2.4 was never quite as torquey as it could have been is that the head was identical to that for the larger engines, the result being that the ports were really too large , and gas speeds correspondingly low

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#20 Re: Built by Many

Post by Barry » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:25 am

I have to agree with Carsten. Stu, you are out of order “rubbishing” SNG in particular on new parts. Take the time and trouble to talk to Julian and you will understand the time effort, and particularly, the large investment which goes into manufacturing parts to keep our cars on the road. I know from personal experience ( and published elsewhere on this forum) that Julian will go to extraordinary lengths to deal with individual comments. However, to make sweeping statements on this type of forum is not healthy or wise. Without the likes of SNG we would all be a little stuck either keeping or restoring our cars.
Barry

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic