Speedo cable issue

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
MarkS
Great Britain

#1 Speedo cable issue

Post by MarkS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:59 am

Can anyone help.. My Series 1.5 has a broken speedo/mileage. I think the problem is the right-angled joint that fixes on to the lefthand side of the gearbox. On mine, this is difficult to get to. There is no inspection hatch on that side, and its impossible to get to from underneath. Do I have to drop the gearbox down in order to attach a new one...? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by christopher storey » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 am

Mark : I have had the very same problem , and the easiest ( if a little brutal ) solution is to cut a new hole in the side panel of the tunnel , which can then be filled with a standard size blanking plug . A circular hole saw in a drill is the best for this . I think that it is highly unlikely that you could drop the gearbox sufficiently to get the angle drive off, as the back of the cylinder head is likely to foul the bulkhead long before you are low enough

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by cactusman » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:38 am

Just checking.....you are sure its the angle drive and not the cable? My cable snapped last week. Easy to check as if you take off the speedometer and disconnect the drive cable from the rear you can pull out the inner. If it has a square peg on the gear box end as well as the speedometer end it has not snapped and it probably is the angle drive. If there is no square peg on one or other end then the flexible cable has snapped...which is probably a more likely occurrence than a failed angle drive....work being sure before you get the angle drive off...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MarkS
Great Britain

#4 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by MarkS » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Thanks Chris and Julian, I've spoken to a 3.8 owner (and ex-garage owner) who says that dropping the gearbox creates just enough space to get the angle-drive in. Very fiddly, but possible. -but he can't do it for a month, and I've got the LeMans Classic coming up. -I think I might go with the drill hole..
Julian, I will check for certain tonight whether its the cable. that'd save a lot of hassle..!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#5 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by tim wood » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:31 pm

Before you drive any holes are you certain that the drive is on the left hand side?
I was confused for a moment as I’m certain that mine is on the RHS. On checking the SNGB website they also show it on the right.

( of course I may be wrong)

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sjclark
Great Britain

#6 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by sjclark » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 am

I have a 1.5 FHC and also had a failed speedo drive some years ago. I was able to get to the drive attachment, which is definitely on the right side of the box, without dropping the gearbox, or doing anything from under the car.

My method was to disconnect the battery, remove the radio console, then the transmission tunnel cover (which requires removal of both seats), thus getting access from above. Be aware that the right angle drive sometimes fails - this gives the very same symptoms, so remove the drive from the box, (secured with a large knurled nut) then disconnect the speedo cable from the right angle drive (also secured with a large knurled nut). This way you will be able to see which one of the components has actually failed, and replace accordingly. Both knurled nuts should be only a bit more than finger tight, so should be relatively easy to undo.

If it's the right angle drive, the job's nearly done.

If it's the cable, disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the speedo which will require removal of the speedo head. Leave the speedo cable in place a this stage, as it can be used see where to feed the cable through to the back of the instrument panel from the engine area, then you can use the old cable to pull the new one in from the engine compartment, past the side of the transmission. You can use gaffer tape to join the two together temporarily.

Then it's a matter of reversing the dismantling process.

The cable assembly is depicted here: https://www.sngbarratt.com/uk/#!/Englis ... NG%20LAMPS

Good luck, PM me if you need help.
Regards
Steve
S 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MarkS
Great Britain

#7 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by MarkS » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 am

Tim. The guy that owns the ramp pointed to it, but I didn't see it myself. -I'll check for sure

Steve, I was hoping there was an easier way (without removing seats etc). CMC in Bridgnorth, say they'll do it for a hundred quid... -sounds like a bargain if there's that much work! Maybe they'll do the drill method. OK with me if its done properly..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sjclark
Great Britain

#8 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by sjclark » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:05 am

Hi Mark,

Note that parts cost alone is about £ 15 for the cable, and about £ 80 or so for the angle drive...

Let us know how it all turns out.
Regards
Steve
S 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PhilBell
Great Britain

#9 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by PhilBell » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi Mark

Have you checked that the speedo head hasn't failed? It's a bit of a fiddle to remove but doesn't take long. Once out you can push a wodden stick, whittled at one end to fit the square drive, in and twirl it by hand. If the needle doesn't swing round the gauge the problem is probably there. JDO fixed mine.

Over time I've also had the angle drive fail (Speedograph Richfield repaired mine).

If the new cable square drive is too tight or slightly too long it can cause the speedo head and angle drive to fail.
Phil
1962 FHC 885626

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#10 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by Tom W » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:33 pm

Mine broke a couple of years ago. The angle drive spat it’s inners out. On the 4.2 S2 at least, the angle drive is on the RHS, and there’s a blanking plug on the tunnel just behind it, along side the propshaft UJ. Someone had already been in and butchered the transmission tunnel, cutting two slots from the hole forward to enable a flap of metal to be bent outwards to access the angle drive. I had to bend this flap open again to access the drive with the gearbox in situ. Even then it was awkward. I’ve just welded up this “modification” so now expect I’ll have to lower the gearbox if it needs doing again. The angle drive sits very close to the side of the tunnel, but I expect that might be because the tunnel needs a little re-shaping in my car.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#11 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:49 pm

My car is currently fitted with the Jaguar 4 speed box and the angle drive is on the RHS as well. Your car will be fitted with the same box if still factory standard.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sjclark
Great Britain

#12 Re: Speedo cable issue

Post by sjclark » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 am

Hi Mark et. al.

There is an access hole on the RHS of the tunnel on my S 1.5, which is factory fit. However, it looks like it's not that well positioned to get to the speedo drive attachment on the gearbox, being a bit too far back. However, it might be worth a go, just to see what you can access from it. Still need to take out the driver's seat.

If you can get some long nose pliers onto the knurled fixing nut, remove the angle drive while it's still attached to the cable, then separate them when you can pull the speedo cable out a bit more to get access. Then you can see which bit has failed, and replace as appropriate.
Regards
Steve
S 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic