Series 1 front bumper spacers

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
MarkS
Great Britain

#1 Series 1 front bumper spacers

Post by MarkS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:40 am

My Series 1 front bumpers came with chunky square rubber spacers around the 4 bolts that hold the bumpers onto the bonnet. I can't see them on any parts manual, but they seem to be right for the car.
The only spacers on the parts catalogue that will seemingly hold the bumpers steady and inplace are the BD20663. But they have arrived from SNG as just two, and they are billeted aluminium blocks. Are these the only spacers required? And surely I need four (2 for each bumper)...?
I presume these go between the bumper and the bonnet.
I've also been sent two 'bumper spacer round' (BD20893) Where do these go?
Lastly, the four washers they've sent me (C410), are far too small for the openings in the bonnet... so where do these go?

...Lastly. (I promise) the four bolt kit (that arrived without any nuts) have lengths of only 30mm. Is that correct??
Last edited by MarkS on Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#2 Re: Series 1 front bumper spacers

Post by paulsco » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Mark,

The shaped square spacers go at the front and level the bumper against the curve in the bonnet. the other spacers are supposedly for the sides; mine are just aluminium round block spacers about 1/2" thick, I have the BD20893 (4) on the back bumpers as they need a taper against the body. The front side seem to have the same part number so it would appear that this is what was originally fitted; I have to assume the taper is on the outside against the bumper blade as they would otherwise be pulled through the side of the bonnet.

I have found a lot of the washers I have ordered from SNG are the wrong size:-(

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
MarkS
Great Britain

#3 Re: Series 1 front bumper spacers

Post by MarkS » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:36 am

Thanks Paul, I agree,.. square ones at the front (with the thicker end at the bottom) and round/tapered at the sides (with taper to blade side). Although a previous poster (see below) did it the other way round, AND he's made his own rubbers.
Now, to reorder the right bolts, nuts and washers... yawn!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic