Flushing out coolant system

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
TheDampMan
Great Britain

#1 Flushing out coolant system

Post by TheDampMan » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:50 am

Hi all
When I checked my antifreeze I noticed the coolant in the expansion tank was a little brown, I think it might be time to flush out the whole system and replace with fresh antifreeze.
Citric acid and vinegar has been posted previously as being a good way to break up any crud in the system?
Any advice/tips on doing this?
Steve
1969 Series 2 Roadster
BMW Isetta

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Flushing out coolant system

Post by mgcjag » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:53 am

Hi Steve.....i recently flushed out an xj6 engine where the coolant looked ok i used a product for flushing and actually done it 3 times... draining, filling running etc...i thought it was probably all nice and clean......a couple of weeks i pulled the engine out of the xj6 for use in another build and then removed the water pump and rear plate on the back of the block and was supprised to see how much crud was still in there at a lower level that the actual drain points......i used a jet wash through the openings and removed a supprising amount......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#3 Re: Flushing out coolant system

Post by mark10337 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:25 pm

Quite a strong solution of kitchen / dishwasher descaler, run it up to temp, let it sit for a week before flushing with a high pressure hose. This may have a limited effect on passages that are completely blocked. The descaler can only nibble at the ends of the blockage, rather than softening it along its whole length.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic