DVLA problems

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
paulsco
Great Britain

#1 DVLA problems

Post by paulsco » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi All,

I am having problems registering my imported car with the DVLA.

It was imported from the USA with a Certificate of Title stating it is a 1967 car.

The car had originally been distributed to the Belgian motor Company Bruxelles (spelling) Belgium by Jaguar, but no owner or registration was recorded on the Heritage Certificate. It later found its way to the USA.

I sent off my documentation including a Heritage Certificate stating the car was manufactured 0n 10th November 1965 and a letter from the JEC also confirming this, but have been issues with an ‘E’ registration instead of a ‘C’.

I sent back the log book complaining that this was incorrect and although this is still ongoing I have been told that they have to follow the “Two Year Rule” and this involves accepting the USA registration document details as I do not have the Belgium registration documents and therefore cannot prove that it was actually registered prior to going to the USA.
If I had not sent in the Certificate of Title and just sent the Heritage Certificate and the JEC letter, all would have been well, but my honesty got in the way of a positive result 

Has anyone else heard of the “two Year Rule” and care to explain it to me?

The Belgian Motor Company no longer exists; does anyone have any ideas as to how I can find out if it was registered in Belgium?

Thanks,

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#2 Re: DVLA problems

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 am

Wow. They give you a reg and the ‘problem’ is you’d like a suffix two letters earlier. DVLA problems can be a lot worse. I doubt they’d give registration without a title?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paulsco
Great Britain

#3 Re: DVLA problems

Post by paulsco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:21 am

Hi Pete,

I know DVLA problems can be worse, but is it unreasonable to want or expect an age related registration?

I belive the DVLA will issue a registration without a title if the Heritage Certificate and a supporting letter is supplied by an accepted car club (JEC).

I would have thought my car would be greatly devalued by an inappropriate suffix, or is this something that would be acceptable to others?

Regards,

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: DVLA problems

Post by mgcjag » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am

Hi Paul....although you have a car built in 1965 it was first registeted in 1967....so as far as im aware the first registration date is what the dvla work from....it is very unfortunate for you and you could keep pushing with the dvla....but the whole registration system is not built around the build date of a vehicle.....there are nemerous vehicles built pre xmas but not registered till the new year......you still have a 65 car so i dont see the value being affected......Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#5 Re: DVLA problems

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am

Well, it's a talking point and it won't make the car run any worse, but I understand your point.

It's interesting when there's a basic requirement that registrations should not make vehicles appear younger than they are. Although I did once own a 68 Cortina that carried a 72 registration due to import.

I'm now about to try to declare my 78 Land Rover as historic but it was first registered with the DVLA in 98 after a long period of National Service. Although it does have a 78 S reg.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#6 Re: DVLA problems

Post by Red Kite » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:18 am

Theres nothing to stop you putting on a random "personal plate" with a C suffix. At least most people will then think its a 65...

https://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/suffi ... /?order=ca
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#7 Re: DVLA problems

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:32 pm

Perhaps someone could explain the difference between an S1 4.2 registered in 1965 and the same model registered between Jan and Jul 1967?

If the number plates were covered up how would you tell them apart or confuse them in a way that would “greatly devalue” the earlier car?

Has anyone ever looked at Angus’ superb OTS and pitied him for having to make do with a saddo E reg?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#8 Re: DVLA problems

Post by 1954Etype » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:37 pm

<cough> the um OTS is 'C' registered, the 66 FHC is 'E' registered. Makes me feel ill every time I look at it....
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
paulsco
Great Britain

#9 Re: DVLA problems

Post by paulsco » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:54 pm

Well it would appear that this is more common than I thought and apparently not considered a real issue.

I do not think that it was first registered in 1967, it was a Belgium car and it highly likely to have been registered there before it ever went to the USA.

However I cannot prove this, other than what is stated on the Heritage Certificate, so I will have to wait and see what the DVLA decide.

Thanks for your comments.

Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#10 Re: DVLA problems

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:53 pm

Well the DVLA seem to make the rules up as they go along. After refusing my 1st application over the difference of an I and a 1 they then gave me a year earlier than the car was 1st built and regerstered on ..... oh then the car was apperantly tax excempt for regerstring , taxing ,and driving on road but needed an MOT to put my non year plate on ...... go figure :banghead:
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic