Thought and Contemplation

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#1 Thought and Contemplation

Post by andrewh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:22 pm

As I have clearly had too much time on my hands over the Christmas holiday I have been contemplating the future of Classic Cars and in particular the E type. Possibly one of , if not THE most Iconic classic car of all time. We read about the acceleration towards electric cars and even Jaguar has "future proofed" the car by fitting it with an electric power plant. BUT what really interests me is the average age of the owners of E types and how many youngsters aspire to own one? Is it a generational thing or do you "grow" into an E type as you get older and the pull of nostalgia increases? I am 57, my nearest fellow owner is 67 and the youngest person I know who owns an E type is 54 years old. Does this matter, not really as we will be long gone by the time it becomes a real issue, but I am interested whether youngsters are coming into the market or whether they are only interested in hot Skylines or Porsche etc etc? Anyway, I am genuinely interested to start a discussion and hear your thoughts on the E type Demographic.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#2 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by cactusman » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:49 pm

I know several local e types here about and all are owned by those the + side of fifty. I think a major factor is the cost of buying one. A runner will be North of £40k what ever version and as young people need to save for a mortgage, pay a mortgage and pay off student debt owning an old car is pretty much off their radar. Whether they will grow into e types or other old cars in general remains to be seen. I attend a few car shows each year and by and large most owners are over 40. That said the numbers of people at shows last year was high it seemed to me. Without exception people are always most enthusiastic about e types but conversations with non classic car owning visitors seem to suggest my thoughts above are not too wide of the mark...at least here in the uk. People have busy lives, little disposable income and feel running an old car of any type beyond them....although I'd did meet a bloke and his girlfriend last summer at one show...mid twenties and had just bought an MGB GT so there is hope :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herbie
Great Britain

#3 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Herbie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:19 pm

I am 38, my fhc is a restoration project on hold whilst I deal with the following: move house (next 3 weeks), 2 children under two and a half, Morris 8 restoration project off for paint in feb hopefully! I love classic cars and own 5 in total, I know a number of younger people who own classic cars, I know the Morris minor owners club has a younger wing of its membership. I think prices are obviously an issue for younger people getting into E types and obviously younger people may want cars from their childhood memories although the Morris 8 is 1935 so maybe not!
Series 1.5 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#4 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by tim wood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm

Ohh to be 57 !
Does anyone know how to post one of those surveys where you indicate your age group?
45 -50
51 -55
56-60

Etc
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#5 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Tom W » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:41 pm

I think I must be one of the younger E-type owners. I bought mine when I was 32, I’m 37 now. I was fortunate to buy one when I did, I think I’d struggle now as prices have gone up far faster than my ability to borrow money. I know of a couple of people who were younger when they bought one, but they bought theirs many years ago.

I’ve always been interested in old cars, I have 5 classics, plus the daily driver is a bit of a project too. E-types were always aspirational when I was first getting into the hobby, but were generally something that I thought would be out of my reach. I do the work on my cars myself, that keeps things more affordable.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#6 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:49 pm

Bought mine at 36, am now 47. See my items list below, I collect cars since I was 21.

My son wants them, so he‘ll be getting them. Sadly his health may mean it‘ll be difficult for him to maintain them, plus his size of 2.00 won‘t help either, so we‘ll have to wait and see.

Oh and student debt is rare in germany... but all they now want is a mobile phone!
(I recently found one on the street, with all papers plus cash etc., but what did she say, aged about 21, when she got it back - „Main thing is I got my phone back“.).

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#7 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by andrewh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:00 pm

Great feedback so far chaps, thanks for the input. So glad to see that there are younger owners of classics around. To be fair , I inherited my interest from my Dad who is still going strong in his workshop most days at 94!. I have never really been far away from mechanical things and was using spanners almost as early as knives and forks, but I recognise I/WE may be a type of person that doesn't really exist in the modern era. I dont see many Dads servicing their moderns on the driveway or changing the clutch. I even read the other day that one of our big DIY store groups has seen a rise in the number of CBA generation. ( can't be arsed) which has led to a decline in their sales and forced them to target professional trades people instead. Anyway , keep it coming chaps, its always really interesting to read others points of view and observations.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

basilruler1234
Great Britain

#8 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by basilruler1234 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 pm

I bought my E-type a year and a half ago at the age of 29, I started out with a knackered MGB at 21, restored and sold for an MGC, same again to get a Healey 3000 (which I still have) and finally got the E-type which was always the goal. The interest came from, as most people, their Dad. Plus I can't afford to pay someone to restore and maintain it for me, so must needs to do it myself, most of the time I enjoy it but it would be nice to have someone else do bits from time to time
James Guest
Series 1 4.2 '65

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#9 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by andrewh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:03 pm

:thankyouyellow:
basilruler1234 wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:49 pm
I bought my E-type a year and a half ago at the age of 29, I started out with a knackered MGB at 21, restored and sold for an MGC, same again to get a Healey 3000 (which I still have) and finally got the E-type which was always the goal. The interest came from, as most people, their Dad. Plus I can't afford to pay someone to restore and maintain it for me, so must needs to do it myself, most of the time I enjoy it but it would be nice to have someone else do bits from time to time
:thankyouyellow:
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#10 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:06 pm

... the ultimate goal in life is not to restore an E-Type, but to find a wife who co-restores an E together with you. Plus all the other checkboxes - high intelligence, pretty and so on.

I got it all - except the restoring bit 🤨...yet still she is very understanding, supports me (sometimes) as long as I do not overtorque it.

Best compliment from her I ever got was „You‘re the guy I would trust to through a nuclear war with“. Now beat that.... 😃.

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 75’ Concept Centaur MK1, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#11 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by rswaffie » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Hi Andrew
I was 28 when I bought my first E-Type in 1994. I only had it for a couple of years before kids came along and it had to go. I bought my second at 50, two and a half years ago and have yet to drive it as the nut & bolt resto is still ongoing. I hope to drive it before I’m 53!
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mark10337
Switzerland

#12 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by mark10337 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:31 pm

Bought mine aged 45, now am 49. Love driving it around day to day as much as possible.
-Mark

1969 Series 2 OTS, Regency Red
'Life's to short to drive a boring car'

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#13 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by chrisfell » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:37 pm

tim wood wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:31 pm
Ohh to be 57 !
Does anyone know how to post one of those surveys where you indicate your age group?
45 -50
51 -55
56-60

Etc
I’ve never been Etc before. Ho hum!
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#14 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by christopher storey » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm

I bought my first one at age 48 in 1993 . It is interesting that my interest in cars has been inherited by one son, but not the other , who regards hs car as a means of transport. My younger son is absolutely obsessed by cars - he has , I think , 11, but only 1 is a classic in the shape of a Lancia Evo Integrale. The others, are , however, quite interesting - Ford GT ex Clarkson, Maclaren 650S, Aston Vantage , Wolf racer, BAC Mono , Ferrari 458 , Aston V12 racer , and rather more prosaically a Volvo XC90 hybrid and a little BMW hybrid - oh and a Focus ST24. One day, I suppose, the realisation will dawn that you can only actually drive one at a time :bigrin: :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#15 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by tim wood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:59 pm

Hi Chris,
I was trying to be politically correct but it kind of went wrong ! If it’s any consolation then I’ve now become a Senior Citizen !

I’ve got to say that with the work days gone and no need to bow to corporate correctness I feel much relieved!

Happy New year to all

Tim

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#16 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by andrewh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:59 pm

how very refreshing. Perhaps I would not have needed to ask this question ( the topic ) if had a son. I have three daughters who know what an E type is but thats pretty much it. Sometimes they bring home boyfriends who dont know what an E type is. We dont see them again. :bigrin: A great collection your son has Christopher. He must be doing something right! What does he think about E types and the like . Do you think he will grow into them?
As an aside my Dad has a number of pre war cars which I have never had any interest in but more recently I do rather fancy digging one out and getting it sorted. The 1933 Austin 7 Box saloon rather appeals. Bought in 1971 placed in a dry shed with a cover over it and its never been uncovered since! I think he has forgotten its there!
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tim wood
Great Britain

#17 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by tim wood » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:08 pm

Sort of slightly related.
I’ve got another project in my garage in the form of a 1959 Sprite. I’ve owned it since about 1977 prior to which it was my dads so it’s been in our family for about 50 years.
I worked on it a fair bit in between my e type periods but I must say it’s a bit neglected now. Neither of my 2 lads show any sign of wishing to pick up where I left off and complete the work that my dad started and I carried on with.

I keep saying that I must sell it, although that would be a bit of a wrench. My wife says to keep it. Maybe one day it will be the next “barn find”

Tim

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#18 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Mark Gordon » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm

As a general rule, I suspect that one's interest in their dream car centers on what is currently hot around the time the hormones start circulating. For me, age 70, it was unequivocally the E Type when I first saw one in probably '62. School, career building, family monetary drain, etc. kept it out of my reach until 10 years ago. I have quite a few spare time interests, but nothing has ever given me the enjoyment and thrill of owning, restoring and especially driving the E. All of my offspring, ages 32-48 like the E and find it interesting, but my 33 y.o. son would give his left nut (and maybe the right one, too) to have the E when I'm gone. I agree with some of the earlier posts that suggest that the major constraint for the younger enthusiasts is the cost to buy into the club these days. When I show the car, I always have a 30 something father (or mother) with young 'uns in tow looking and commenting admiringly about the E and when I put the little tyke in the driver's seat, the grin looks like one that is normally reserved for Christmas morning.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
andrewh
Great Britain

#19 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by andrewh » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:57 pm

Mark Gordon wrote:
Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm
As a general rule, I suspect that one's interest in their dream car centers on what is currently hot around the time the hormones start circulating. For me, age 70, it was unequivocally the E Type when I first saw one in probably '62. School, career building, family monetary drain, etc. kept it out of my reach until 10 years ago. I have quite a few spare time interests, but nothing has ever given me the enjoyment and thrill of owning, restoring and especially driving the E. All of my offspring, ages 32-48 like the E and find it interesting, but my 33 y.o. son would give his left nut (and maybe the right one, too) to have the E when I'm gone. I agree with some of the earlier posts that suggest that the major constraint for the younger enthusiasts is the cost to buy into the club these days. When I show the car, I always have a 30 something father (or mother) with young 'uns in tow looking and commenting admiringly about the E and when I put the little tyke in the driver's seat, the grin looks like one that is normally reserved for Christmas morning.
thats a really great story and such positive feedback, makes me think the future is ok for E types.
I reckon, Ferrari , Aston Martin , Lamborghini and the like have aspirational committees considering the very same question every month or so . If affordability is the only real barrier then its the same for all aspirational acquisitions, cars, houses, watches etc. One has to trust in top brands always remaining in demand if the company manages it correctly. I just hope that JLR will manage the Jaguar brand properly. As I read sales are still sluggish for Jaguar I think its possibly time to go back to Le Mans. A 5 year program there could be better spent money than all the current advertising.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#20 Re: Thought and Contemplation

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:36 pm

I can confirm the above for Citroen. They were way ahead in the 30s to the 60s, but totally wasted it after Peugeot took over in 1974. Today ? Same plastic crap as the other low budget brands from, say, Korea.

Carsten

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic