1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Nickleback
Great Britain

#1 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by Nickleback » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:49 pm

:rvrence: The Pendine Jaguar Collection is now for sale featuring: :rvrence:

"The 1961 Jaguar E-Type in the collection is the first E-Type ever seen in public when it was unveiled to the press and VIP guests at the Geneva Motor Show. As one of the very first hand built, pre-production prototype examples of the model which changed Jaguar’s history forever, this is considered one of the most important non-competition Jaguars in the world.

The first ever Jaguar E-Type seen in public, unveiled to the press and VIP guests at the Parc des Eaux Vives
One of the three E-Type’s at Geneva in 1961, and the car used on the Geneva show stand, wowing the general public.

Possibly the most important non-competition Jaguar in the world.
One of the very first hand built, pre-production prototype E-Types

Two E-type Coupés were used by Jaguar in its unveiling in Geneva in 1961. The venue on Wednesday, 15 March was Le Gastronomic du Parc des Eaux Vives ,a restaurant on the south-western shore of Lake Geneva. It was after the launch that journalists were given demonstration runs and photography sessions in one of them, perhaps the most recognisable of the two, registered as 9600 HP (chassis 885002). This was not, though, the launch car, the very first E-Type ever to be seen in public.

That accolade fell to the other car, chassis 885005.

This Coupe was actually inside the restaurant, hidden inside a giant plywood packing case whose sides fell away to reveal the car. Its reception by the world’s press is well documented. It was after this great unveiling that the reporters then trouped outside to admire 9600 HP. Back in the dining room, meanwhile, Jaguar staff were hurriedly removing both car and packing case to take it to the Salon de l’Automobile for its public unveiling – with similar theatre – the very next day.

Car 885005 wasn’t meant to be a coupé. It was Sir William Lyons insistence that the launch E-type should be the three-door fastback that saw, at short notice, a roadster chassis purloined from the Experimental Department at Browns Lane and modified into a doppelganger for the Geneva demo car.

After the show debut, the E-type was registered for Swiss road use on 15 May, and the following day was sold to the CAP Assurances insurance company, whose chief executive was Georges Filippinetti. He was also founder of the privateer race team Scuderia Filippinetti, and it’s safe to presume that 885005 was for his personal use and certainly not a company pool car!

Little of its subsequent history is known until the car thankfully returned to the historic E-type orbit in 1999 when it was acquired by Pierre Pittet, an administrator of the University of Lausanne. In 2002 Pittet sold the car to Georg Doenni of GB Classic Cars of Roggliswil, Switzerland, and it then transferred to the Jenny Collection. Only then was an extensive but very careful restoration begun. Many body parts were carefully corrected back to how they had been when leaving Coventry in March 1961, at the same time as identifying and cherishing the quirks of what had once been a hard-working development vehicle.

The launch of the E-Type at Geneva is one of the most important milestones in the history of Jaguar. It is also a seminal moment in the history of the automobile. This is a hugely important automobile and one of the most important non-racing Jaguar’s ever to be offered for sale."

Pictures here:
https://pendine.com/portfolio/1961-jagu ... aunch-car/

If only ......................... Another day , Another dream :mrgreen:

Be interesting to see who buy's it though and for how much ?
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by christopher storey » Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:57 pm

But is it genuine , or is it yet another of these mystery cars which appear from nowhere ? The chilling phrase in the description is "...Only then was an extensive but very careful restoration begun. Many body parts were carefully corrected back to how they had been when leaving Coventry in March 1961..... "

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Durango2k
Germany

#3 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by Durango2k » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:13 pm

I think it should be put nextz to 9600 HP- then you could compare them, they should be very similar...

Carsten
Jag E '66 S1 2+2, 74’Citroen DS 23 Pallas iE, 73’ Citroen SM 3.0, 54’ Citroen 11 BL, 71‘ Velosolex, 88‘ Unimog U1650

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by chrisfell » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:43 pm

Don’t tell Porter, but his car is not the oldest coupe, 005 is. It is unique, many panels were hand made and are quite unlike the production cars, for example the centre bonnet panel and the roof panel. The resto was the subject of much interest when it happened. Pretty sure several magazines followed it.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#5 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by Tom W » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:40 pm

It clearly has dished footwells on the photos, so not everything is as original.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

GSR 54D
Great Britain

#6 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by GSR 54D » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:02 pm

Hi Tom

I’m intrigued which photo/photos are you referring to. Are you sure the footwell illusion isn’t created by the exhaust pipes!

John H.
John H

1962 OTS
1965 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#7 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by Tom W » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:52 pm

I was looking on the photos on the link. On closer inspection it could well be the exhaust. I retract my earlier statement.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Green
United States of America

#8 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by Geoff Green » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:08 pm

Very nice car and well done by the photos. A few minor items, spark plug connectors, brake fluid bottle level warning sensors. I can help with both.

Glad to see this car still with us and looking so good. Interesting details, reverse light, drivers floor carpet. checked and see the first 6 RHD FHC are looking good with 8 of the first 10 still around.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by cactusman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Anyone dared to enquire the price? :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#10 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by chrisfell » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:57 pm

cactusman wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm
Anyone dared to enquire the price? :bigrin: :bigrin: :bigrin:
The owner of one of the very early cars (which was raced in period and has lost its original engine). was asked how much he’d let it go for. Seven figures, he said.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#11 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by 64etype » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:28 pm

My favorite color combination...gunmetal/biege

Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#12 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by christopher storey » Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:26 pm

I'm afraid that doesn't look like Gunmetal to me. It is much darker and has a blue/black appearance rather than the tinge of pink which is present in the genuine Gunmetal . This is much more like a modern Audi colour which blends so well with our road surfaces in the UK and creates a real collision risk !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

64etype
United States of America

#13 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by 64etype » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:11 pm

It's Glasurit/R-M early Jaguar Gunmetal as used by Classic Jaguar in Austin, Texas on their top quality restorations. In fact Glasurit is probably the only paint manufacturer in the world who have maintained this color mix since its inception. The color shifts dramatically depending on the light. as you can see from the additional photos of this same car. The previous photo was taken on a cloudy day where the color does indeed deepen and loose the pink/purple tinge. It's the Pendine respray that's wrong. What a shame. (We have sunshine in Texas!)

Last edited by 64etype on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

politeperson
Great Britain

#14 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by politeperson » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:44 pm

Very nice indeed Eric
Its true, but Enzo never said it
Too many E types
XK120 SUs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#15 Re: 1961 Jaguar E-Type Series I Fixed Head Coupé – The Geneva Launch Car

Post by christopher storey » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:41 am

Eric : thank you for that explanation. The last pic, and indeed the underbonnet frames, are much more what I was expecting !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic