MOT exempt certificate

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#1 MOT exempt certificate

Post by malcolm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 am

"Tax" due on the E, so got a letter from the DVLA. I M.O.T my car, so the exempt status is unimportant, however the form states "an MOT may be required,
or form V112 or V112G if your car is exempt from testing"

I thought some people on this forum simply got a statement from the DVLA that their car was exempt? Anyone used this form V112?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by mgcjag » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:28 am

Hi Malcom....think the v112 is only used if you go to the post office to renew....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#3 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by christopher storey » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:31 am

I just got 2 V 11 Z forms for 2 of mine . I then got on the re-tax website, entered the number on the form, made the declaration that the vehicle was unaltered in the last 30 years, and the whole thing was done in about 1 minute for each car

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#4 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by malcolm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:57 am

Ok, if you do the form to declare exemption, presumably you can still go the MOT route instead of CLAIMING exemption if you want?
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by christopher storey » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:42 pm

AFAIK , Malcolm, Yes . The exempt status is still available even if you do MOT it, although there may be more faffing about on the website. When I decided to take advantage of the exemption, I had in fact had some of the cars on SORN , so there was no difficulty

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#6 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by cactusman » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

If you exempt your car on line...you just tick a box!!.... then tax the car the dvla checker will show the car as taxed but no MOT result returned. If you then submit for an MOT then the MOT will then show once again on the dvla checker. That is what happened to me last September with my MG. However I suspect you will need to remember to declare it exempt again for the next tax issue....submitting for an MOT removes the exemption I think.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#7 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by malcolm » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:57 am

I'm glad the DVLA has made it all so clear.... :sad:
Malcolm
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#8 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by christopher storey » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:46 am

Julian : you have to make a fresh declaration that it is exempt each time you tax it, even if you have not MOTd it . The declaration is that it has not been substantially modified in the last 30 years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#9 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by Philk » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:50 pm

According to the new Ultra Low Emission Zone website check, my car would be due to pay the charge even though it qualifies for exemption being more than 40 years old. When my car was first registered with the DVLA back in early 2018, it was Historic Exempt. I am therefore wondering if the MOT I had done earlier this year has reset a flag which means ULEZ thinks it is not exempt. How can you check whether your car is still Registered as Exempt at DVLA?
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#10 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by cactusman » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:40 am

Thanks Chris....makes sense....not that there is much sense in the process! Philk.... checked both my MG and E type....they both have MOT's but would be allowed in with no charge....wonder if there is a further twist depending on when your car was registered or something? Mine are both UK cars and have been registered since new...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Herzeg
Great Britain

#11 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by Herzeg » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 pm

Regarding christophers comments about re-taxing, I received the normal re-tax form with zero charge, go online and do it. I had the car MOT'd last year and will shortly do it again but didn't have to do anything about exemption?

Regarding the ULEZ, I have great interest as I live just inside the North Circular. I've just double-checked it and it says I have to pay the charge, then a little lower down says "No LEZ charge due for this vehicle

This vehicle either meets the required emission standards, is exempt from the scheme or is subject to a 100% discount"

It took a little bit of searching but historic vehicles are exempt and it further states "All vehicles that have a historic vehicle tax class will be exempt from the ULEZ. This tax class excludes any vehicle used commercially (for example, coffee vans or street food vans).
In line with the existing LEZ discount all vehicles registered before 1 January 1973 will be exempt from the ULEZ, regardless of commercial use or otherwise"

So unless you have a late S3 model you're fine. You can also turn your 2+2 into a mobile coffee shop and not pay :drinkingcheers:

John
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#12 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by Philk » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:56 pm

Herzeg wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:59 pm
Regarding christophers comments about re-taxing, I received the normal re-tax form with zero charge, go online and do it. I had the car MOT'd last year and will shortly do it again but didn't have to do anything about exemption?

Regarding the ULEZ, I have great interest as I live just inside the North Circular. I've just double-checked it and it says I have to pay the charge, then a little lower down says "No LEZ charge due for this vehicle
This was exactly what I can see online on the ULEZ website. However, from what I could see, the LEZ is different to the ULEZ and is an older standard. The site allows you to register and upload your V5C if you believe it should be exempt from ULEZ charges.

It would be interesting to see what others see if they type their tax exempt Reg numbers onto the ULEZ site and whether anyone gets a green tick against both ULEZ and LEZ.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#13 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by Jeremy » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:23 pm

I tried this out. My car has a current mot. The TfL website took me through a bizarre loop. I entered my reg no and it recognised the car correctly, but then told me "ULEZ charge applies for this vehicle". (I did get a green tick for LEZ). So I went through the process of registering, selecting "a vehicle that is exempt from the schemes", and got the response "you don't have to register this vehicle".
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simon P
Great Britain

#14 Re: MOT exempt certificate

Post by Simon P » Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:16 pm

From the BBC, and worth a read:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/id ... ar_exhaust

As a mate of mine says, "When politics and science collide, the outcome rarely makes any sense".........

Simon

PS Ironically, in the week when the ULEZ is introduced in London, Greenpeace has elected to sail up the Thames and moor their thumping great diesel-belching Soviet-era icebreaker next to HMS Belfast. Go figure.... :roll:
1969 S2 FHC - 1R20258
1993 Lancia Delta HF integrale Evo II

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic