A RHD in Continental Europe

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Lual
Spain

#1 A RHD in Continental Europe

Post by Lual » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:37 pm

Hi, just joined to this great forum.

I have been chasing in the last year few S1 in the market that unfortunatly have been bought by somebody else in the last minute.

I have seen now a 4.2 right hand drive in quite good shape. While I have never driven a RHD, I think I could get used to it.

As I am from continental Europe, my concern is how much apetite is there for these RHD out of the islands / how easy these cars can be sold. If I finally buy it, I hope to keep it for many years, but life is unpredictable and you never know (health, financials...)

Any view?
Thanks a lot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Simonpfhc
Great Britain

#2 Re: A RHD in Continental Europe

Post by Simonpfhc » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:07 am

Hi Lual,

Great to have you on the forum!

Why don’t you consider converting to LHD? It is relatively simple and the only major component you need is the steering rack. These are readily available second hand as many UK owners convert to RHD (as I did). You will also have the benefit of selling all the RHD bits very easily as they are in demand here in the UK.

However, driving a car sitting on the other side will be easy to get used to. The only real problem you will have is overtaking and paying tolls, both of which work better sitting on the LHS.

Cheers.
Simon
62 3.8 FHC
91 Porsche 928GT
Find me on Instagram and Facebook @oldcarfixer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

spanish 2+2
Spain

#3 Re: A RHD in Continental Europe

Post by spanish 2+2 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Lual, i´ve been in Spain for 16 years now with a RHD E-Type and not had a problem. When overtaking i just hang back from the car in front so i can see the on-coming traffic and on the rare occasions i use the toll roads i just lean over or let the passenger pay or collect the ticket. :bigrin:
69 s2 2+2 Signal Red

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Lual
Spain

#4 Re: A RHD in Continental Europe

Post by Lual » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks to both for your answers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MCY44H
Great Britain

#5 Re: A RHD in Continental Europe

Post by MCY44H » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:58 am

Hi Lual,

I’ve had the same the problem the other way around (I.e. a LHD in the UK). I had intended to get it converted but to be honest I’ve grown used to it and probably won’t change it. Just remember to hug the curb as you go around bends!

And if you stick with it, there will always be a ready market for a RHD in the UK should you wish to sell it.

Basically, if it’s a good quality, rust-free car then go for it! As my son said to me “Dad, if you buy one now, then you’ll have more time to enjoy it before we send you to the old folks home.”

Jon
JonM
1965 Series I FHC (RHD), BRG
1970 Series II OTS (LHD) Fast Road spec, BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic