Security matters

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 Security matters

Post by chrisfell » Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm

We all fret about leaving our pride and joy somewhere other than in a locked bolted and alarmed garage, with 24 hour Doberman surveillance. So, like others, I imagine, I have a tracker that I secrete somewhere in the car when it is left for more than a few seconds and out of my direct line of sight.

Every so often I test this tracker, ask it where it is, and it responds with a text detailing its grid reference. Except, last week it didn’t. Eventually, I discovered that the phone company had disconnected the number, because it hadn’t been used. Since late last year when I last tested the tracker. Disconnected despite having lots of credit remaining in the account.

To say I was angry is to underestimate my feelings.

I’m still seething now.

A new sim is on order, from a different phone company. One without double vowels as it’s name.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#2 Re: Security matters

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri May 10, 2019 3:27 pm

My tracker, like many I would guess, uses a subscription service provided by the manufacturer. It costs $25 per month when it's activated and I only have to pay for one month at a time and can inactivate and then reactivate it at any time. I only activate it when I'm going on a road trip or, like you, will have it out of my locked garage and out of my sight for any length of time. The piece of mind is worth the $25.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#3 Re: Security matters

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri May 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Does the tracker company say that you now have to kill us all Mark?
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#4 Re: Security matters

Post by Mark Gordon » Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 pm

Only if you get within 50' of the car.
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MCY44H
Great Britain

#5 Re: Security matters

Post by MCY44H » Sat May 11, 2019 10:47 pm

Hi Chris,
I use a similar tracking system - the 3 month battery life TKSTAR works well for me with text location maps and an app that allows you to set movement alarms etc. It’s very cost effective (about £35 to buy, 99p for a sim and ten quid on the mobile account).

As far as sims are concerned I think pretty much all mobile providers in the UK terminate accounts on ‘unused’ SIMs for their pay and go services. The accounts are closed usually after 6 months of inactivity though some smaller providers close out as soon as 90 days if there are no chargeable actions. As a result, I text my tracker approximately once a month on the winter when the car is in hibernation. That said, I put a tenner on the account 2 years ago and I still have 7 quid left. I think texts cost a few of pence.

Hope this is helpful.
JonM
JonM
1965 Series I FHC (RHD), BRG
1970 Series II OTS (LHD) Fast Road spec, BRG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#6 Re: Security matters

Post by chrisfell » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 am

Yup, it appears my mistake was to leave the tracker unused from October to March.

Never mind. I called the phone company, a new sim is on its way with the balance of credit applied from the old account. £11. That should last another two or three years. Texts are 2p.

And I’ll order another cheapie tracker and another cheapie sim. This one will get hard wired into the car somewhere. The older, magnetic one will act as a decoy.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic