Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#1 E-Type price watch

Post by Heuer » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:41 pm

Average price achieved at auction in Euro's:
Average auction prices for M-B 300SL Gullwing (silver), Ferrari Daytona (red) and Jaguar E-Type OTS (green).

Clearly there is no justice :roll:
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

38E
Canada

Post by 38E » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Not really surprising when you consider the numbers produced.

Daytona, 120
MB Gullwing 1400
E Type 70,000.

Actually, I liked it better when you could get an E Type for next to nothing because nobody wanted them at the time. Cheapest one I bought was about ?200 in about 1972.

Now I have to worry about where I park my '62.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JEP41
Great Britain

Post by JEP41 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:45 am

Hi david,

An interesting graph. I bought and 1972 Ferrari Daytona Coupe in 1984 for 24,000 sterling and sold in 1989 for 300,000 sterling. :D Todays prices still have to go a ways to get back to those heady days at the end of the 1980's. I didn't even advertise the car for sale. A chap came up to me at Lord Brocketts old country home during the 1989 annual Ferrai get together and just asked me what I wanted to sell the car and I just picked that figure out of the air and he accepted. I sold because it was no fun driving around in a car that was so valuable. Always frightened somebody would try to steal it. agreed value insurance was very high.
Interestingly I could have bought it back in 1991 for 72,000 sterling when it appeared for sale in one of the monthly car mags
Kind Regards John

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

Post by Heuer » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:18 pm

An investment article in the Sunday Times this morning offers advice on what to do with ?100,000 in savings rather than leave it in the Bank. One suggestion is to buy a really good S1 E-Type which Coys says can be found for ?85,000 - they do not recognise any other classic car as so undervalued or such an investment. Another suggestion close to my heart is to buy shotguns which are increasing in value dramatically yet considered a depreciating asset for CGT, plus you can use them. This article has gone some way to rehabilitating me in my wife's eyes after I recently came home with a pair of Boss & Co guns!
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

Post by andrewh » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:47 pm

I love these sort of threads and discussions. I too watch the prices and enjoy relating them to "real" money in terms of what other items cost by comparison. I have recently bought a lot of Classic Car mags from the early 1980's off E Bay. The prices make your eyes water. I also have some from my birth year of 1961 but they are plain riduculous, D Types for 2500 etc. Anyway, what can we summise about the future from the past in terms of prices. I adore E Types and they are in my all time top 5 cars to own and keep. BUT, the investment game is not just about desirability both in period and contemporary, but its also about rarity. Put it another way, its about being able to stick two fingers up to all the others in the car park at Goodwood and say, I have something you havent got. Sadly for all of us E Types will never reach that level of rarity, but I do think if you want to apply the rare and valuable title to an E type then you should be looking for a series one 3.8 in RHD. I know a lot of you will tell me about the moss box, bad seats and hopeless brakes, but I am not talking about that. I am talking about the first and rare of a motoring ICON, and in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!

I reckon right now, that classics have had their run for some time. They are a proxy on Property appreciation as many people buy their classic once they have paid off their mortgage and feel comfortble with the property price. That , in the UK at least, has finished for quite some time and therefore when I look at certain classics and they "feel" expensive, thats telling me they are not moving ahead any time soon. IN 5 to 7 years and possibly as much as ten years time once global economies have put the traumas of the last few years behind them, classics will move on up again as they play catch up. Thats all assuming they are not banned by some bureacrat in Brussels. :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic