Prescott Hil

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#1 Prescott Hil

Post by chrisfell » Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:14 pm

The E-Type Register’s annual bash at Prescott today. First one that I’ve been to when Norman Dewis wasn’t there.

Not many Es there either. I’ve been at Prescott in earlier years with north of 100 E-Types turning up, many of which went up the hill. In fun, of course, no competition!

Two cars stood out. They were both in the famous photo of 50 cars ready for delivery to dealers in 1961, the photo in the rain. One car was a fresh resto presented by Quentin Wilson, yup him off the telly.

Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gfhug
Great Britain

#2 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Gfhug » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:20 am

Our second Prescott with the E Type Register and my first time driving the E up the hill.
It is a very fun day out, good people to meet, decent lunch in the restaurant (or take a picnic) and great views across the countryside.
My leisurely drive up the hill broke no records (as Chris says, nothing competitive so no records to break) but brought a smile to my face (though that does happen every time I drive the E).

It should be added to everyone's list of places to take your E Type.

For 2021 and the sixtieth anniversary we ought to have a grand gathering there. At Angus's earlier in the year, Shelsley Walsh courtesy of SNGB, Prescott with the E Type Register, Silverstone for the Classic.
Add them all to your list of events to attend in 2021.

Geoff
S2 FHC Light Blue
S2 OTS LHD - RHD full restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#3 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by 288gto » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am

You would probably have shaved a second or two off with the right seats Geoff :wink: :oops:

Glad to see you had a great day anyway.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by chrisfell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:33 pm

I had an interesting lunch at Prescott, talking to William Heynes.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#5 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:11 am

Last time I did a timed run, in 2011, we emerged near the top from the shelter of the trees onto a newly-damp track, courtesy of a passing shower. That was tricky in itself, but the gear lever coming off in my hand was even trickier. The skimpy weld on the Getrag conversion bridge piece came apart and meant we entered the subsequent bend in a wrong gear and both wheels spun as the diff went tight under power. I recovered the first wag of the tail, but faced with prospect of a long grassy tumble down the hill I kept my foot in it and was glad it snapped round towards the bank, from which the bonnet opening took a mouthful before stopping.

Duly chastened, and apologizing to Joe Hardy my passenger, we rumbled down the return track in whatever gear we were in. Later, Petronella granted me the wooden spoon award and as Norman handed me the bottle of bubbly he commented that the damage didn’t look too serious. I agreed and he laughed when I told him I might not repair it because the big sod of earth in the intake meant the bonnet now stayed open for the first time!

I followed Dave Kerr in third gear to his workshop near Evesham where the poxy East European weld was replaced by a proper full-penetration joint and the trip home to Cambs passed without a hitch. Maybe if E-type prices soften further, more will come out to driving events like Prescott?

from
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#6 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Sarthe72 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I used to have a cottage at Winchcombe and was part of the first wave back in the 90s. Here's a photo of chassis #13 in 1996 at Pardon. At the beginning we were numerous with our E-types, but as time passed the value and the age of the owners meant less and less came, so Petronel invited the Maserti club to join in and the Austin-Healey club as well, both of whom no longer come. There used to be quite a few replicas too but now I know not.

And this was a phot of yours truly chirping the tyres off the start the same year.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
chrisfell
St Lucia

#7 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by chrisfell » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Tony,
Recent years the turnout has been quite poor. This year we had Masaerttis Healeys Caterhams and a few others joining in, but even with these additions the ‘paddock’ was less than half full. 15 years ago it would have been packed with over 100 Es plus Mk2s etc with other marques resigned to the upper overflow carpark.

Just a few years back the weather meant only a dozen or so cars turned up. I think it was Brian Ekin who asked me if I was gong to enter my bag of nails for the endeavour competition, there were fewer car entered for the competitions than there were prizes to give out!

As you say, age of owners is an issue, as is the investment owner who regards their E-Type as a part of their pension fund portfolio, not to be used for anything so base as actually driving.

Tis a shame. I’ll keep flying the flag, as will many others on this list, and on Jag-Lovers.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#8 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Sarthe72 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:37 am

Keep up the good work Chris. I took the XKSS to XK70 last year and since I was staying with the Heynes family lent the car to young William to take it up the hill. He made a good fist of it too:-

Better than the JD Classics driver did anyway!

The last time I was at the Prescott meet was 2016, and was very disappointed, given the spectacular weather, at the turnout of E-types.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:27 am

You can see the video on the crash here on post 31....Steve http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php? ... 70#p102560
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#10 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Barry » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 am

Sadly, that doesn’t work now because it relates to JD Classics, who of course went into receivership. Which beggars another question; has the ex owner of JD been convicted yet? I know there were several people wanting to bring cases forward for fraud.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:51 am

Hi Barry...just tried the video when i posted.....it works ok....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#12 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by malcolm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:49 pm

Yes, worked for me too.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Barry
Great Britain

#13 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Barry » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 am

Strange, this what came up on my iPad .....

The owner of www.jdclassics.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#14 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by mgcjag » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:32 am

Hi Barry.....just tried useing firefox and works ok on my tablet......i dont even think its a jd video...its just copied from facebook......all i can sugest is try another browser....Steve
Edti....are you actually going to post No31 and clicking on the video.....
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#15 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by PeterCrespin » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:41 am

Worked for me and put my little Prescott prang into perspective...
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#16 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Sarthe72 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

Barry wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 am
Sadly, that doesn’t work now because it relates to JD Classics, who of course went into receivership. Which beggars another question; has the ex owner of JD been convicted yet? I know there were several people wanting to bring cases forward for fraud.
My latest info says that he is keeping his head down in Switzerland. The receivers seem to have upped their claim to £100 million now and we are no further forward in knowing just when it will come to court. However, since Derek was in the Sunday Times rich list at £120 million in 2017 (which I assume included the value of his residual shareholding in JD Classics which are now worth zero) he is to all intents and purposes in negative equity now. It seems his wife owned the buildings, but the court cases are, I believe, jointly and severally.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#17 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Heuer » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:18 am

It was posted on Facebook by an onlooker so JD or their current owners can not ask for it to be removed:

if it had been removed you would not be able to see the preview screen.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sarthe72
Great Britain

#18 Re: Prescott Hil

Post by Sarthe72 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:44 pm

I do like this one of him being overtaken by the rear tyre!
Attachments
image6.jpeg
image6.jpeg (142.45 KiB) Viewed 5271 times

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic