That’s what friends are for!

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
H7OB
Great Britain

#1 That’s what friends are for!

Post by H7OB » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:33 pm

I’d mentioned previously that my best buddy has a very successful automotive design, engineering and manufacturing business, and very kindly donated three beautiful semi-aniline leather hides for my re-trim. His business also does stunning classic car restoration, engineering and race preparation, particularly Jaguars. His team have now also done the paintwork for a classic Norton I’m currently restoring and I’ve never seen paint like it!

Yesterday it got even better! I was lucky enough to be invited to Silverstone for some expert tuition in a Caterham R300 and then his own 1950 XK120 with some of the team! The Caterham on slicks almost defied physics with its grip levels and instant responses to steering and throttle inputs. It would corner with unbelievable speed and accuracy as well as allow you to feel exactly what was happening. The four of us had tremendous fun dicing with the driving experience Astons and Ferraris we shared the track with.

In the afternoon we then did the same in the XK. It’s newly rebuilt, stunning and completed the Mille Miglia this year. The combination of that engine, with a well sorted chassis was such a fabulous experience. You had to turn the car in that bit earlier and then let it settle before squeezing the throttle, to be rewarded really neutral and predictable handling. Whilst the car inevitably drove completely differently to the Caterham, it just needed that little bit more planning to do the same thing and was equally fun to drive. You could really feel the heat getting into the drums after a few laps and the tyres were almost too hot to touch when you came in. It was a much more physical experience, so much so that my fore arms ached when I brushed my teeth at the end of the day!

Albeit in a non-race situation there was something fabulous both watching and driving this car, passing supercars 69 years her junior!

So photogenic!

It felt a lot faster than it looked!

I wish my engine bay looked like this!

The end of a fabulous day! :thumbsup:
Paul
'68 Series 1.25 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

neal herridge
Great Britain

#2 Re: That’s what friends are for!

Post by neal herridge » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:57 pm

Hi Paul.
Looks like a great day, the XK120 is a lovely car to drive, I have been lucky enough to own & restore one.
Very different to drive than an E-type of course , but any XK engine is great to hear & drive.
Car looks great with the painted wire wheels.
Neal.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic