Mobile mechanic.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Pbirty
Great Britain

#1 Mobile mechanic.

Post by Pbirty » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:11 pm

Hello.
Looking for a mobile mechanic in the Blackburn Lancashire area to help me fit a newly rebuilt cylinder head to my 1962 3.8 fhc. I have been let down by the guy who removed it for me to get rebuilt. In a bit of a pickle now. Don't really want to move it out of my garage with the engine in bits. Thanks in advance Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#2 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:31 am

Simon Hemsley has been the mechanic for Philip Porter's E Types in the E Type club for years, and is technical advisor to the xk club. He does mobile work, at a good rate for E Type club members. Bit more for non members.
Here's his facebook page - I'll try and dig out his phone number.

https://www.facebook.com/simon.hemsley.16
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

malcolm
Great Britain

#3 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by malcolm » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 am

Got it.

He charges £35 per hour for E Type club members, £40 to non members.
Phone is 07774 801844 or evenings 01432 839485

Just to say, I've never used him so don't know what he's like. But I imagine he must be ok if Philip Porter uses him.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#4 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by Series1 Stu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm sure he's good but he's based in Hereford, judging from the number you gave. I'm not sure that would work out too well since Paul is in Blackburn.

How confident are you at tackling it yourself, Paul? Could you get through it with guidance from the guys here?

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pbirty
Great Britain

#5 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by Pbirty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:49 am

Thanks guys.
I've decided to tackle it my self. I can get it done by a pro but not till end of September. I've done quite a lot of research on it and it's not beyond me I hope. Gonna keep my head in the books for a few more days then have a go. I'll be in touch if I'm struggling.
Cheers Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by christopher storey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:21 am

Paul : if you wish to discuss any aspect of it either before or during the installation you are at liberty to call me at any reasonable time on 0151 342 3175 ; evenings are best

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#7 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:29 am

Hi Paul....just for info...do not sit the head on a flat surface....if you look underneath you will see that valves protrude below the base of the head so they could bend is sat on a flat surface.....also check your head now befor you start that both cams are at tdc....DO NOT.try to turn one or both cams as valves could clash and this could cause damage.......ask any questions here...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pbirty
Great Britain

#8 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by Pbirty » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:20 am

Hello. The company who rebuilt it have wrapped it and put covers over the the underside to stop any damage happening. It is set to top dead center and he did warn me about moving the cams separately. He has also put warning stickers on the packaging to warn of this. It's getting the block set to tdc that I was most concerned about. Think I've got it sussed now though. If anyone needs any cylinder head work doing I would highly recommend Jon at J&E engineering good guy to deal with.
Cheers Paul

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: Mobile mechanic.

Post by mgcjag » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Paul....with the head off you can see the pistons move as you turn the crankshaft ....piston 6 (front) &1(rear) move up and down together.....the crankshaft turns twice for one turn of the distributor....so for TDC on piston 6 turn the crankshaft until the rotor arm in the distributor is pointing to number 6 as in the digram and the front piston it at the top....look at the crankshaft pulley for the tdc mark.......the pointer may not line up exactly as its adjustable......true tdc is half way between when the piston stops and when it starts to move again....you will need a dial guage for this.....at this point the pointer can be adjusted to the tdc mark......lots of info on line to explain or help you....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic