BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#2 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:30 am

Not good to see at all , but why was the bonnet not popped and extinguished at source, think it's worth us taking a look on you tube at how to tackle car fires quickly and at source tutorial
Its a way of life not a hobby
Darren . 64 4.2 modded 69 4.2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by mgcjag » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 am

Would you really want to get up close..lean over the bonnet to unclip it then lift it up....you could get a big rush of flame straight at you......its only a car...personaly i would let it go.....fire is s dangerous thing if you get up close....if there is s bit of smoke then maybee....but once you see flames beware
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#4 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:37 pm

Yes I would be unclipping bonnet centre release , then cautiously lifting from the lower wing

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#5 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by Moeregaard » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:23 pm

That bonnet latch probably got very warm very quickly. Hopefully, they were able to save the car. This just illustrates the necessity of keeping all fuel-system components in top-notch condition. If the car has been sitting a long time, plan on a carb rebuild at the very least.
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

E600
Great Britain

#6 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by E600 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:50 am

There are countless requests for help on forums for V12 E Type that have come out of storage and developed a fuel leak at the base of the stromberg. Generally its the o ring that has dried out and hardened. The carbs sit directly above the exhaust manifold shields.

If starting for the first time after a layup period, have someone switch on the ignition whilst you check each carb in turn, it will be very apparent if they are leaking as it’s under about 3lbs psi of pressure.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#7 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by 288gto » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:24 am

Irrespective of people's views on opening the bonnet, I think it is good advice to learn HOW to use a fire extinguisher effectively. It may be that only one is available so you need to make the best use of it. It is no good wafting powder or CO 2 all over the flames from a distance, this will merely suppress the flames, only for the fire to gain strength again. You need to get right to the base of the fire to extinguish it.
Hopefully you will never need an extinguisher but there's no harm in having a look at a tutorial online.

Simon
Last edited by 288gto on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#8 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:13 pm

So on the back of wether or not to open latch on bonnet , just had an Idea, I'm going to cable tie to the fire extinguisher s in my cars a pair of fire retardant gloves

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#9 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Hi Darren....there you go....at least it got you thinking a but of safety first :thumbsup:
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#10 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by Monkeyfinger » Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:33 am

Seems appropriate to ask for people's advice/recommendation for extinguisher type and size. I will certainly be carrying one when my car returns from its part restoration. Fully agree that tackling a fire needs careful consideration, but I certainly want to know that I have the best option with me in the car.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#11 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by mgcjag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:00 am

Hi Richard...As far as im aware your only real option is Dry powder Extinguishers. ....Foam are not for use where you have live electrics and CO2 are not for use outdoors as the gas will blow and dispurse in the air....Steve
Edit...If in the Garage then CO2 is an option....And note Julians comments below re foam
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#12 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by Heuer » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am

Halon is the very best but now banned by the EU except in aerospace and in the US along with other countries.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#13 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:15 pm

Hello,
While at a Jaguar concours show several years ago, a newly arrived car began smoking from underneath the hood. (The car was a vintage Cadillac belonging to a sponsor of the show.)
- The car smoked for 5 minutes while the owner looked for an extinguisher.
- Immediately on raising the hood, a major fire started with flames a foot high. The fire was extinguished within minutes but not without major damage to the engine bay.
Recommendation:
- Be prepared for a major fire as soon as the hood of a smoking engine bay is raised.
- Perhaps raising the hood just a few inches before using an extinguisher might have mitigated the fire.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dal2.0litrefrogeye
Great Britain

#14 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by dal2.0litrefrogeye » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:17 pm

Adding a earth isolator key / switch isn't a bad idea , many electrical fires smoke for a fair chunk of time before they actually ignite

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#15 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by cactusman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:36 pm

As said normal foam should not be used on household electrical fires as it will conduct and thus present a risk of electrocution if sprayed at mains wiring. Cars operate at 12 volts so I see no electrical reason not to use foam if the fire is electrical although there may be reasons not to use foam on fuel or hydraulic fluid fires. As always, prevention is better than cure so inspect wiring and fuel lines regularly and address any issues before they can become serious. Rubber hoses and seals perish! Incidentally e.g. Demon tweaks sell a range of fire extinguisher kits. FIA approved . They use foam. Lots of mess but presumably pretty effective.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#16 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by mgcjag » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi Julian...yes your correct re the foam.....was a bit quick posting above..was thinking of foam not suitable for home/garage electrics.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#17 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by cactusman » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:39 pm

Absolutely Steve. Aqueous foam in a garage where it may come into contact with mains power is inadvisable.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

andrewh
Great Britain

#18 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by andrewh » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:00 pm

This is a great shame, and I think something we all think about very often. Instances of fires are on the increase no doubt in large part to the corrosive nature of Ethanol fuel on rubber fuel pipes. I have just restored a 1976 XJS with Fuel injection and 30 psi fuel pressure. I have changed all the fuel lines to pressure rated and Ethanol rated hose. However, one still needs a spark for fuel the petrol to ignite. There is a constant stream of XJS fires being reported on other threads. I was surprised to see my brand new HT leads were sparking on two plugs between the caps and the cylinder head. So my next task is to source some very high quality, not Chinese, HT lead sets. I reckon Bosch still protects its name and produces very high quality products. For my fellow V12 owners, I would be inclined to run the engine at night and observe whether there are any sparks from your leads. On the XJS, one has the added problem that there is a wiring loom for the fuel injection which tends ( like HT leads also ) to get brittle and split from the enormous heat in the valley of a V12. So I do reckon a lot of these fires are avoidable, but really you need to do the service work to keep safe. My XJ12 is next, particular after the above fire on a standard 3 psi system.
1962 3.8 Series One FHC

http://etype860897.blogspot.com/

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Turnip
Great Britain

#19 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by Turnip » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:55 pm

mgcjag wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:04 am
Would you really want to get up close..lean over the bonnet to unclip it then lift it up
I believe that the Fire Brigade advice in the UK is to try and pop the latch(es) before you jump out. That way, when they turn up with all the gear they have a better chance of opening the bonnet and getting at the seat of the fire.

Simon
1965 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mark Gordon
United States of America

#20 Re: So sad, FIRE

Post by Mark Gordon » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:54 am

Heuer wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am
Halon is the very best but now banned by the EU except in aerospace and in the US along with other countries.
I was talking with a guy at a show recently who had both a Halon and a dry chemical extinguisher in his car. I asked him why he carried both and he said, "In case of fire, the Halon is for my car, the dry chemical is for yours." :bigrin:
Mark

67 OTS 1E14988, 2015 Camry XSE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic