U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
elliottS
United States of America

#1 U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by elliottS » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:10 am

I have a mild grinding noise that happens all the time the wheels are rolling. It was diagnosed as a failing u-joint by and respectable mechanic. Is there a way to lube or replace with out a big engine or rear end removal?
Elliott Stage
1969 FHC
Silver

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by abowie » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:01 am

To replace the tailshaft U joints you need to remove the IRS or the engine. IRS is easier.

To replace the driveshaft/halfshaft U joints you need to remove the shaft from within the IRS.

I can't comment on the "diagnosis" other than to say that usually failed UJs cause vibration, not grinding noises.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tom W
Great Britain

#3 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by Tom W » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:11 am

I had a propshaft UJ fail. The symptoms of that were a vibration under load that could be driven through. Strangely, it didn’t vibrate all the time, just at certain RPM ranges. There was also extra free play in the drive train.

I’ve also had half shaft UJs fail. There was a clonk from the rear, but no noticeable vibration. In my case it was the inner UJs that were worn. They get a harder time with heat from the rear brakes. If it’s an outer UJ, you’ll have to remove the halfshaft from the hub carrier, after removing the whole drive shaft and carrier asst from the IRS.
Tom
1970 S2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#4 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by Geoff Allam » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:49 pm

Also have had a propshaft failure on a e type. My symptoms were also vibration at certain speed and load conditions. For grinding noise you may want to get a second opinion before dropping the engine or diff.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#5 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by mgcjag » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 pm

Hi Elliot....as above second opinion...but if your capable lift and support the rear end under the lower wishbones so the wheels are in the normal driving position and spin the wheels.....mild grinding could be the thin metal uj covers rubbing inside the aluminium hub carriers or brakes...but you should be able to pinpoint the noise....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#6 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by AshM » Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Elliot

If it turns out to be the propshaft UJ’s then I would consider replacing the whole propshaft.

With advice from Angus I did just that last year (from SNGB) whilst I had the engine out and the difference in drive experience is remarkable.

Just some food for thought.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Moeregaard
United States of America

#7 Re: U-Joints, Drive shaft and Half shafts replacement

Post by Moeregaard » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:08 pm

If the half-shaft U-joints have gone, bear in mind that this is your upper suspension link. When mine failed, I didn't have any symptoms but instead found the problem when I jacked the car up and was just wiggling everything (on the car, not me...) as part of my routine maintenance, when a couple of needle bearings dropped onto the garage floor. More poking around revealed wear and leaky diff seals, so the entire mess came out and I replaced/rebuilt everything. I even sleeved the calipers in stainless. Once back on its feet, the car drove much better. This is an opportunity to put many things right.

Merry Christmas to All
Mark (Moe) Shipley
Former owner '66FHC, #1E32208
Former owner '65FHC, #1E30036

Planning on getting E-Type No. 3 as soon as possible....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic