Master craftsman still out there

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Collfryn
Great Britain

#1 Master craftsman still out there

Post by Collfryn » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:25 pm

If you you're thinking of having your cam covers polished read on. I had my 4.2 engine completely rebuilt by a very well known firm and the work included polishing the cam covers. The engine sat for over 12 months in its shrink wrap until the time to set things up for installation approached this month. On removing the shrink wrap my heart sank. The cam covers had been attacked with an angle grinder, with a crude attempt to 'polish' them, without it seemed, even removing them from the head. There were ripples down the whole length of each cover and unsightly grinding marks all over.

OK, I should have checked them way back when I picked up the engine and now its too late because said firm no longer exists. Fortunately, earlier on I had rebuilt the SU's and inlet manifold myself and had used two guys, Ben at Vapourworxs www.vapourworx.co.uk 01283 225233 and nearby, Harry from Briteworxs www.briteworx.uk 07861 778841 who both did a fabulous job on vapour cleaning and polishing. With some homespun plating the carbs look better than new. So I phoned Harry and sent him the very sorry looking cam covers. They were the worst he'd seen but he worked his magic and a week late the were returned in outstanding condition. Its really good to know that there are some true master craftsmen out there and I recommend Harry and Ben if you're thinking about cleaning and polishing
Before

After

Richard Marsh
1967 Series 1 UK RHD 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

max-it-out
Great Britain

#2 Re: Master craftsman still out there

Post by max-it-out » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:36 am

Looks great , almost like chrome .Will they stay shiny or do they need constant polishing ?
Mark

1968 series 1.5 roadster

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#3 Re: Master craftsman still out there

Post by abowie » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 am

They usually stay pretty shiny.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#4 Re: Master craftsman still out there

Post by chrisfell » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:54 am

Aluminium oxides in air. It takes a while for the effects to be seen, but polished aluminium will dull over time. To keep them bright for years requires constant polishing.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paulsco
Great Britain

#5 Re: Master craftsman still out there

Post by paulsco » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:15 pm

If this is what the original company did to your cam covers, I worry about how well they rebuilt your engine??

Paul
65 Series 1 FHC, 68 Jaguar 340

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic