DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Nickleback
Great Britain

#1 DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by Nickleback » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:19 pm

I just decided to remove my personal number plate for retention from my car and return it to it's original plate and DVLA have decided that they want SGS to inspect my car before they will re-instate the original number plate. Apparently they now have to check 40% of applications.

I think this is the correct link to the company involved:-
https://www.sgs.com/en/public-sector/ro ... inspection

Has anyone had this done before and can advise what to expect ?
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by mgcjag » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Mike..yes iv heard of this being done....they will be checking to see that the car is what it should be....As they will be issueing a new V5 they want to ensure correct engine number, colour, body type etc as detailed on the current V5 and that it not some type of conversion...Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rswaffie
Great Britain

#3 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by rswaffie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:41 pm

I had them assigned by the DVLA to ‘inspect’ my car last year as it was a US car that had not been registered in the uk before. As it was a total restoration, they were not only checking the numbers, but also ensuring that all major components were either original or had been replaced /restored with original spec parts. They use a scoring system and if you don’t get enough points, they give you a Q plate. I was pretty nervous (the engine is from a 63 EType, but not the original one and I’ve upgraded brakes, cooling and lighting) but in reality it was straightforward and the guy was very pragmatic about the ‘non-standard’ elements. The fact that I had retained as much of the other original parts as possible, and the body was 80% original was not lost on him and he even complimented me on the restoration!
Fundamentally, they are just trying to prevent fraud, ‘bitsa’ cars (some stolen) being put together and passed off as original and other nefarious practices that gets all our hackles up on the forum.
Richard

Previous owner and restorer of a S1 3.8 FHC Opalescent Golden Sand with Tan Trim 889504 (now sold and headed for Athens)

:swerve: :wrench: :hammer: :fingerscrossed:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bobsnicholson
Great Britain

#4 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by bobsnicholson » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:56 am

Does this happen only when one wants to change a number plate?????
Is it only for classic cars????
1972 V12 Roadster. Velar. M5. Caddy. Bikes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by christopher storey » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 am

No. it is a procedure used when a request is made to reinstate an original registration number not currently assigned to a vehicle , so as to prevent the passing off of e.g. stolen cars as the original item . If you bought a number which exists on a retention certificate and applied it to a currently registered car then the procedure would not ( usually ) apply

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by mgcjag » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:40 am

Its not just classic car or number plate related.....I know of someone that changed their engine....so your supposed to notify DVLA becaus engine number is on the V5....they insisted on an inspection....would not accept the change unless he could get written confirmation from Jaguar that the engine was from the same period........he had used a S3 XJ6 block in his S2 E type....his case is ongoing........Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AshM
Great Britain

#7 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by AshM » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:23 pm

Agree with points made by Richard. In my experience they are not trying to catch out genuine cars and their keen owners. Generally they are very supportive of true enthusiasts.

I built a Dax Cobra from a donor XJ12. I was a couple of points off being to keep the reg no. but he ‘suggested’ to me that I had made a mistake on my application and the steering rack was original. 😉

Hope it goes well - let’s us know.

Cheers
Ash
Series 2 FHC 1970
1R 20607

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

david.coan
Great Britain

#8 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by david.coan » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:19 pm

My usa import was required to be inspected, it was painless, just added 3 weeks to the process of applying for an age related number plate and V5 doc. I believe it was just a random thing that i go picked. Hope it goes well
David
1968 S1.5 OTS, ex USA converted to RHD

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Red Kite
Great Britain

#9 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by Red Kite » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:08 am

Do they come to you or do you take the Car somewhere ?
Gerry.
S2 FHC 1R20003

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Nickleback
Great Britain

#10 Re: DVLA request vehicle inspection ?

Post by Nickleback » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:43 am

Yes they come to you :smile: and their requirements are:
That the car must have one meter in space all around and be complete for the examination.
If the car has to be taken to an alternative location:
The car must be roadworthy, taxed, insured and driven by a licensed driver or
Be transported to the examination location on a suitable vehicle.

The frustration is the time this process all takes now, :wow:
The application has to be in writing now (form V317) to the DVLA and cannot be done online, this took 10 days for a DVLA response letter (despite my recorded delivery letter to them) to arrive, then you must phone SGS to confirm that you want an appointment.
SGS then can take up 5 days to ring you back (cannot be done the same time as the above call) with a day for the appointment, which then will usually be within 5 working days of that return call.
24hrs before the appointment the examiner will ring or email you with a confirmed time on that day when it suits them to visit.

and counting still..................................................

Then you have the vehicle examination day and presumably the time it will then take the examination results and paperwork to be logged with the DVLA and the new V5 issued to you - 2/3 weeks ?
Then the time for the new number plates to be made up and sent by a classic plate maker - 2/3 weeks ? as this cant be started until you have the new V5 / number plate details
Then time to fit the plates and change the insurance details.
Mike,
1970 S2 FHC 2R28165

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic