3.07 series 3 Diff

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#1 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by colin gray » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:19 am

Hi Can anyone help me out please, I have a series 3 3.07 diff as I swapped mine to a 2.9 during an axle rebuild.
I have been asked will it fit a series 1 car and about the condition and a price.
Can anyone tell me what it is worth?
It has done around 80k and I was happy with it for the 20k I drove it for and the swap was just an upgrade.
I can not however guarantee it as a S/H part that has now stood for 3 years.
Personally I would go through it as a matter of course as I did with my 35k 2.88 and at least fit new seals.
The prices on ebay seem to be a bit surreal when you do see them I guess I am a bit out of touch? I don't want to rip anyone off but do want a fair price to both parties.
Thanks Guys n Gals

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am

Second hand....was working when removed are you sure its a S3 diff....could it have been swapped previously befor you took it out....is it standard or LSD...ballpark fair price.... £700.....ideally should be checked over by a professional befor installing.....purchaser should satisfy themself it will suit there requirements.....just sell it as it is.....leave it up to the purchaser to ask here or find out if it will suit his aplication otherwise they can come back to you it there is a problem....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
colin gray
Great Britain

#3 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by colin gray » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:26 am

Wow £700 I was thinking I would be doing well for £3-400 so that is a real bonus if he is prepared to pay anywhere near that figure.
I guess it could have been swapped in theory and we will possibly never know, the car has never been restored and I do have a history, everything looked like it had not been disturbed when I rebuilt the IRS but that is only my view.
The diff is a Salisbury 3.07 LSD for sure I will send the measurements and have the plate off the rear to send internal pics to the buyer as well.
Like you suggest I have advised a checkover and new seals as a minimum before installing it, it is some work to swap it all again if there is an oil leak or other issue.
Thanks
Colin

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:54 am

3.07 lsd are the most desirable.....and easily worth £700.....then a £500 rebuild....so £1200.......total.....just a thought though....it is original to your car...once its gone there is no going back.....I would keep it....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

AussieEtype
Australia

#5 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by AussieEtype » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am

mgcjag wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:31 am
Second hand....was working when removed are you sure its a S3 diff....could it have been swapped previously befor you took it out....is it standard or LSD...
Series 3 diffs are LSD as standard.
1971 Series 3 E-type OTS
1976 Series 2 XJ 12 Coupe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by mgcjag » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:35 am

I questioned if it was actually a S3 diff and therefore a LSD...you never know with a 50 year old car if things are original....
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#7 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by 44DHR » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:58 am

I agree entirely with Steve on value as a starter for ten.
I have never heard of a 2.9/1 ratio, so I assume this a 2.88/1, i.e. a 49 Crownwheel and 17 Pinion.
On value, there several points to consider. First off, if it is a Powr-Lok - easily determined by turning the output shafts to see that both turn in the same direction - this unit by itself has great value and can be fitted in many other suitable Salisbury 4HA axles. The actual condition of this unit would have to be assessed as the clutch plates do wear and the outer Belleville spring clutch plates can break. A good indication is the condition of the oil in the diff.
Secondly, what age is the diff ? This can be seen by the drive output shafts which changed over the years. There are at least 4 versions of Output Shaft assemblies, from those with a centre nut on the early cars to those without external nut, but these assemblies varied over time with ball race bearings to taper roller bearings, changing back to balls and finally back to taper again. This why I personally wouldn’t touch these to replace the seals and bearings, unless you knew there was an issue because some of these seals and bearings are becoming extremely hard to source for certain ages of assemblies. These Output Drive assemblies also vary in terms of brake mounting brackets and oil seal bypass outlets cast into the bearing housings.
Thirdly, as mentioned, the 3.07/1 diff is the most coveted and if your diff is out of the car, it’s an easy job to remove the cover plate and look for the markings of 43 (Crownwheel) and 14 (Pinion) clearly marked on the crownwheel outer diameter. There may also be the 43/14 identity plate still attached to the cover plate mounting bolt, but it’s still best to open the diff anyway to check and also confirm it is a Powr-Lok (and not just welded up !) and state of the oil.
Finally, I guess you re-used the Inner Fulcrum Mounting Brackets when you fitted your new diff, unless that diff itself came from an E Type. These brackets in themselves are very valuable as they are unique to the E Type to get the right angle of the diff nose to fit into the mounting cage.
So plenty of points to consider.
Regards,
Dave

Yum !

Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FlyBoy
United States of America

#8 Re: 3.07 series 3 Diff

Post by FlyBoy » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:24 pm

Dave,
Thanks for sharing the photo's, especially the differential stand. :wow: I have four (4) BW12 trannys and that stand setup would be a great space saver. :thankyouyellow:

Cheers, Dick
Now where did I put that part....???

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic