Looking for main brake cylinder spare part

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#1 Looking for main brake cylinder spare part

Post by Pex » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:28 pm

Found the reason why brake fluid was sucked into the vacuum tank when I dissembled the main cylinder, one of the bearing/sealing (no 14) was mounted the wrong way :thumbdown:

The cylinder actually looks like new so I will try to renovate it but I also noted that part no 14 is a little bit damaged where the rubber sealing is placed. There are some scratches in the plastic wall but the rubber sealing will hopefully seal it.

Still, would be nice to replace it but can’t find part no 14 anywhere, anyone know where I can buy one?

//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#2 Re: Looking for main brake cylinder spare part

Post by abowie » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:12 am

Pex wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:28 pm

Still, would be nice to replace it but can’t find part no 14 anywhere, anyone know where I can buy one?

AFAIK, and I have looked, they are not available as a replacement part. They are only available if you buy a whole new master cylinder.

As the actual seal function is performed by the outer O ring and the inner seal, as long as the sealing surfaces are adequate you should be fine with your old one. If the scratches compromise the rubber seals and you can't get one from another used MC then you could get one made on a lathe; it's not a particularly complicated part.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Pex
Sweden

#3 Re: Looking for main brake cylinder spare part

Post by Pex » Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:14 pm

Thanks, that's what I thought.
The cylinder was renovated before I bought the car they told me, unfortunately they didn't have the knowledge hot to do it correctly...
I will keep it simple and just replace the sealings and put it together again. If it continue to leak oil I will know why and can take a decision to by a new one then.
//Peter
1969 Serie 2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic