Can we go for a drive??

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#1 Can we go for a drive??

Post by malcolm » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:16 am

Serious question. We're told we MUST stay indoors other than essential shopping, medical reasons or ONE trip out for exercise. Saw on the news police stopping a car and asking the driver where he was going.
But can we just go out for a drive in our Es to "ease" :bigrin: the boredom?
Can't be more self-isolated than in a car, providing you don't stop and get out.
Obviously you could lie and say you were driving to the shops for essential goods, BUT:
What are the rules on this?
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:32 am

Hi Malcom..this is what Boris said....not sure when it actually becoms legal.....but as far as im concerned you should following this rule "He said people should only leave home to exercise once a day, travel to and from work "where this is absolutely necessary", shop for essential items and fulfil any medical or care needs. Look at the Goverment rules https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#3 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:59 am

Not sure why you should not as you will be socially distancing. Unfortunately the Government does not recognise 'motoring' and assumes anyone in a car is commuting. I went out for a run in our Porsche 993 yesterday and traffic levels were not much down on a normal Tuesday afternoon in the country. I will be out in it again today as it has an MOT booked.

HMG guidance is "stay at home" but if you are stopped (and the Police were out stopping cars around here yesterday) they will politely ask you why you are out. Suggest you simply point at the E-Type and shrug. In my joy ride (aka testing for the MOT) yesterday my progress was mostly impeded by the number of cyclists on the road. You could claim driving the E-Type is for your mental health! Get out in it now before the measures become more draconian.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#4 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:19 am

Just heard that current Mot,s have now been extended for 6mths........We dont want to be seen as condoning or breaking the "rules".....You should all know whats required and what you can and cant do......nothing to stop you legitimatly useing your E type to go shopping for essentials...
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

vee12eman
Kiribati

#5 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by vee12eman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 am

First time I’ve ever disagreed with David. For pity’s sake stay at home. We’re not subject to the same rules as you, at least not yet, I’m sure it’s coming, but I’m staying in except for essential shopping. Stay home, self isolate in the garage and do some work on your cars. I have lots of relatives there. Three of them are in the emergency services, police NHS etc. I hope you’re all going to do the right thing for their sakes.

Stay safe, stay in.
Last edited by vee12eman on Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Simon
Series III FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#6 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:41 am

Hi All...this will quickely become a very emotive subject. ....Lets not forget that we have medical staff as members here and many will have family member who are working in the health services. ......Its up to all of us to do our part large or small.......lets use our forum for positive help to all in these difficult times....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#7 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by 288gto » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:49 am

Absolutely Steve.

You can always do what I've done and drive the E type as much as you want :wink: :lol:

Keep safe and carry on.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#8 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Monkeyfinger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:47 pm

Then there's the issue of refueling or calling the emergency or recovery services in the event of an incident. It's just a car and there is a far bigger issue here than any emotive or mechanical reasons for exercising an E.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#9 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by cactusman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:58 pm

The issues surrounding refuelling and breakdowns apply to any vehicle. There is no particular reason a well maintained e type is any more likely to fail than a more modern vehicle. I am certainly not planning a ride for the sake of a ride (as I do in normal times) but I may venture to the supermarket on Friday in the MG...:bigrin: it may even brighten someone day
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Richardhealey
Great Britain

#10 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Richardhealey » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Hi Julian,
You are more than welcome to self isolate, volt meter in hand in, my workshop at any time :drinkingcheers:
1969 series 2, 2+2... going for a full rebuild.. Gulp...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#11 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by 288gto » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:18 pm

My wife is a key worker at a large pharmacy, still going to work every day so that essential prescriptions and medical supplies are delivered. On behalf of ALL the brave and selfless people like her that will be keeping the country running in the coming weeks I would humbly ask members to please try to abide by the guidelines. It is only for a short while.
That doesn't mean we can't keep as Geoff suggested "keep buggering on", but I'm sure there are plenty of things we can do to keep occupied without putting others at risk. By all means take the E type out for essential items but don't use the excuse of nipping out for a tin of beans as indemnity for acting selfishly.

Ultimately the decision is yours, only you know if it is an essential journey.

Keep safe and carry on.

Simon
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#12 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by cactusman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 pm

The e type won't be out for a while.....other than onto the drive so I can tidy the garage! I use the MG for the weekly shop anyway as the van is full of work gear. I am a self employed electrician and, while I had planned this week as holiday anyway, work has dried up and I don't expect to be working until well after Easter although I will turn out for emergencies should people need something fixed :bigrin: We should all be adhering to the rules and minimising contact with others until the situation improves.
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#13 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by MarekH » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:27 pm

What hasn't been discussed is that different health care trusts have different levels of cover available and it may very soon become the case, that in some parts of the country, no one over forty is offered any palliative care whatsoever, even if they test positive. People with covid-19 go to hospital not to receive treatment (because there is none), but to be isolated from general society so they do not pass it on further. On the off chance that some secondary infection develops, they may get help with that. This very stark summary/advice came from a nurse, who is run off of her feet in a London hospital.

The government advice is what it is for two reasons:- 1/ because the increase in cases will be exponential if left unchecked but the healthcare capacity is fixed; 2/ so that people who are doing essential jobs are able to spend time doing the things that are essential, rather than being side-tracked by the trivial.

In some respects, this has a very similar echo to that of drug taking. The drug users never bother to consider the trail of misery behind them in the supply chain that brought them their highs.

You can always sign up for some voluntary work doing deliveries to others if you want to.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Monkeyfinger
Great Britain

#14 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Monkeyfinger » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:37 pm

And I wasn't suggesting an E was a worse case than a modern car for breakdowns (although from my experience I would question that...), but an unnecessary trip is exactly that - unnecessary, so the car can stay in the garage. The fact that mine is in a thousand pieces and the body is on a rotisserie does make that easy for me though.
Richard
- 1969 Series 2 OTS, family owned 40+ years

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#15 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:48 pm

Well, just returned from having the 911 MOT'd (passed) followed by a glorious drive back. Roads are reasonably empty except for the number of lycra glad cyclo's - more of them than cars. So it seems self isolation whilst pursuing your hobby is fine as long as it does not involve burning fuel. :shrug: Add to that the runners and walkers I came across and I felt quite justified in taking the scenic road home.

I know the mantra is 'Stay at home' and the Government is not going to make an exception for classic car owners but fine weather, 1960's levels of traffic and petrol at a £1/litre make self isolation on four wheels with the roof down a joy.

So providing I am not putting others at risk I will be enjoying my cars, something I judge as being necessary for my well being in these dark times.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mystery type
Great Britain

#16 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mystery type » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:27 pm

Since most of the car shows etc have been cancelled for the foreseeable future, it’s going to be difficult to keep the wheels turning on a regular basis.
I find leaving vehicles standing for long periods of time causes all sorts of problems, so Im thinking of using my car for commuting to work on the nicer days. As a key worker this shouldn’t be a problem. On my old policy I know I was covered for commuting, but I need to check my current policy.
I’m sure other classic owners will be thinking the same thing, so I expect to see more classic vehicles on our roads and supermarket carparks, when we do manage to get out.
Paul 1967 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#17 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by Heuer » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:38 pm

:yeahthat:

One thing I did notice whilst walking around our local town waiting for the car is how friendly everyone is. People in their gardens, walkers (always at a safe distance) and cyclists all had big smiles and said hello or nods of acknowledgement. It seems everyone wants some form of human verbal contact to get through their day. Maybe we will all emerge from this as better people?

Your E-Type at the next shop run will make people smile.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#18 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by chrisfell » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:57 pm

“ Your E-Type at the next shop run will make people smile.”

Oh yes! Next shop will be in the E.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

OldEnglish68
Great Britain

#19 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by OldEnglish68 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 am

This is such a big question!

My car is booked-in for an MoT, and I want to drive it, but feel that taking the E-Type for a spin is way too frivolous for current times. There are many people truly struggling right now.

The MoT extension is in words only - it requires self-certification of the car being safe to use and I am certainly not qualified for that.

For everyone that might smile at the sight of an E-Type at Tesco, there will be someone who might take offence. I don't want to offend anyone and don't want to be abused or have my car damaged.

On balance, for me, it's best to just leave the car locked up and wait for the all-clear.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#20 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:56 am

Dont be mislead about an MOT certificate.......it only confirms that you car was safe at the time of inspected..as soon as you leave the testing station it is your responsibility to ensure that it is fully roadworthy......E types are over 40 years old so an MOT exemption is available you just need to register online.....Still worth haveing your car serviced and inspected regularly by someone who understands E types.....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic