Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#22 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by JerryL770 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 pm

OldEnglish68 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:43 am
This is such a big question!

There are many people truly struggling right now.
Does that mean we all have to struggle? All reduced to the lowest common denominator?

It seems to us the government "advice" is based on city dwellers. Out in the sticks where we are I can see very little reason not to go out for a spin, though so far I have resisted the urge only for the unlikely reason of being involved in an incident or breaking down (I don't think that is likely).

I've got a tank full of fuel and it should not be left festering for too long . . . . .
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#23 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi Jerry..have you not been watching the news....Police are now imposing fines if you driving eithout a valid reason.....shopping work etc......Im supposed to be a forum moderator...but on this issue im taking that hat off....If people dont stay at home Covid will spread quicker and overwhelm the NHS and more will die.....you caught me at a bad time...my mates dad 75 years old is one of the latest to die from Covid...........the rules dont just apply to "City Dwellers"......they are for every one....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#24 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by JerryL770 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:36 pm

Chance of seeing any of the fuzz around here is remote . . . .
Jerome Lunt
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#25 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 pm

That is not the point...... :banghead: Its up to everyone to play their part.....its this type of attitude that will bring even more of a lockdown......Your not being asked to do much.....just stay at home .....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#26 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by chrisfell » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:15 pm

Needed to get bread and green veg from our nearest farm shop (long standing order). I thought about taking the E, but decided against it. Suitable measures were in place in this sunny weather, trestle tables outside with staff 2 metres from customers who were standing in a queue, also 2 metres apart, orders taken and filled by said staff rather than the previous self service arrangement, payment by card. All very civilised, if a little draughty in this biting northerly we have here.

On the way back home, coming the other way, was a BRG S Type. I wonder if he was also going to do some shopping?

Meanwhile, if you need a fix of Es get onto the interweb, search for Goodwood Members Meeting and watch what might have been happening his weekend. Goodwood are streaming previous years races as if they were happening live. I’m just off to the (virtual) Daffodil Tent for a pint of Sussex Ale.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#27 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by cactusman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:21 pm

We all need to be responsible and only travel, be it by classic car, modern car, bike, bus, or train, if the journey is essential. So shopping, essential work, medical, vulnerable person support ....a spin for the sake of a spin is not justified and we should not be doing it.

That said shopping is essential and there is nothing to say one should not take one's old car. I took my MG this am. I won't be venturing past the gate now till mid week and that will just be for milk by bike :bigrin:

I was in the garden pruning yesterday....several hot hatches roared by, a couple of modern Mustangs, and a McLaren to name some....I am sure they were all making essential journeys...probably...:bigrin:

The lock down won't last for ever (I hope!!!) and in the mean time I'm refurbishing the MG steering wheel this weekend :bigrin: hopefully the postman delivers the varnish next week...
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#28 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by MarekH » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:13 pm

JerryL770 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 pm

Does that mean we all have to struggle? All reduced to the lowest common denominator?

....Out in the sticks where we are I can see very little reason not to go out for a spin.....
There is no denominator
The virus is already out there in the sticks. If you don't understand that, you risk crossing the river Styx.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

288gto
Russia

#29 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by 288gto » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:33 pm

MarekH wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:13 pm
JerryL770 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:14 pm

....Out in the sticks where we are I can see very little reason not to go out for a spin.....
There is no denominator
The virus is already out there in the sticks. If you don't understand that, you risk crossing the river Styx.

kind regards
Marek
We live in rural Cheshire and my wife has just come off the phone to her friend who has lost a family member to the virus aged 55. Is staying at home really a "struggle"? I would suggest losing a loved one is probably more of a "struggle".

Please folks try to follow the advice given.

Marek made a very good point earlier suggesting people look into signing up for voluntary work if they can't bear to be stuck in.
Simon
1969 S2 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#30 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by cactusman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Very quiet here in Herts today....yesterday it still seemed there was still a lot of traffic about but this afternoon the road past my place has been very quiet....like early morning new years day....

By the fire with a beer about to be opened....Stay safe and stay at home if you can... :drinkingcheers:
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#31 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by PeterCrespin » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 pm

It's interesting - and a very common plot line - how an unusual but shared stimulus brings out a range of reactions reflecting a wide spectrum of character traits.

There's an 'enemy' threatening our comfortable way of life. Because such struggles are a recurring theme in history we have organized our society so that a portion of the population has the skills and training to combat the such dangers. Those involved have bravely stepped into the breach and are putting their lives on the line to protect ours. There are international allegiances being formed and a sharing of supplies and know-how - even as we witness daily in social media the extraordinary morale-boosting burst of creativity in the Arts* and Sciences. All this with the singular goal of helping and hoping, somehow, to overcome the danger that confronts everybody in all walks of life.

We hardly need urging to 'do our bit', and many are not slow in urging others to do theirs - sensing that there is strength in unity. We are mostly happy to modify our behaviour somewhat, but the uncomfortable truth is that some of us are hard-wired to regard the extraordinary disruptions to daily life as opportunities for creative personal advancement. When rules are being rewritten daily, it's hard not to bend them a little for our own benefit, Though easy to condemn, similar selfish scheming has been the driving force behind the rise of Homo sapiens to her current prideful dominance of the Blue Planet.

Being thus the gleeful beneficiaries of our species' invention of the internal combustion engine, we probably shouldn't be too po-faced about the Private Walkers here. It would be a poor show if we were all like Private Pike or Private Godfrey. Which Dad's Army character are you?

*An example of today's creativity to silence the doubters, especially given that the genius behind the original himself died of an avoidable infectious disease before reliable therapy became available.

1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
malcolm
Great Britain

#32 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by malcolm » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:37 am

As I started this somewhat contentious thread, (as it turned out), thought I'd add a view on this. I believe there are actually two different things going on here, and actually everyone agrees with the first one.
Firstly, there is the whole safety issue which is about social distancing and contact with external items. Now, it is perfectly possible for anyone to get in their car on the drive, go for a spin without getting out anywhere, enjoy the countryside views and the ride, then return to their house and get out of the car without ever coming into contact with anything external. Zero risk, much less risk than someone out exercising (which is allowed).
However, this leads on to the second thing. That is, setting an example. And that is what this "no driving" is about. If we are seen to be out enjoying ourselves, why shouldn't others even if their enjoyment does lead to risk? I have witnessed this in an example at my house. I am fortunate enough to have a small cabin cruiser tied up on the water at the bottom of my garden. I can get in it, go for a ride then return to my house without ever getting out and without coming within 10 metres of anyone, even on the outside of the boat. However, the waterway authorities have stated that non-powered craft such as kayaks, rowing boats etc are ok as they come under the "exercise" exemption, but powered craft like mine are banned because they are just enjoyment.
So the same as driving for fun rather than to get to the shops for food.
Is it right? Not sure. Boris stated that "mental health and well being" are vitally important, particularly for those (like me) who are inside for 4 months. Isn't completely safe boating or driving good for "mental health and well being"? But not a great example to set, swanning up and down the water, when we're told (understandably) to stay inside.
Malcolm
I only fit in a 2+2, so got one!
1969 Series 2 2+2
2009 Jaguar XF-S
2015 F Type V6 S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#33 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by mgcjag » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:11 am

Hi Malcom...Your "Zero Risk" is making a huge assumption that your drive is without incident and does not require assistance of any kind.....then surely whats good for one is good for all.....so we end up with everyone going out for a joy ride.....Then guess what happens....Steve
Steve

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#34 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by christopher storey » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:18 am

PeterCrespin wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:18 pm
Which Dad's Army character are you?
I'm Captain Mainwaring .... Pompous, Overbearing, Inefficient, Self-Important ; apart from that, a very nice chap :bigrin:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#35 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by JerryL770 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:44 am

You may all rest assured, I have not been out of my house, except into the garden and also to walk the mutt every day for the last 2 weeks
Tazza04s.jpg
Tazza04s.jpg (101.49 KiB) Viewed 3672 times
I still find it hard not being able to take my E out for a spin.
Jerome Lunt
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#36 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by 1954Etype » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:20 am

Both my E types are in the workshop and I can’t move any of the cars in the way to get one home for some Uber tinkering let along drive!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#37 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by JerryL770 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:59 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by JerryL770 on Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome Lunt
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

44DHR
Great Britain

#38 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by 44DHR » Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:48 pm

One potential way to drive your car is to sign up to provide assistance to your local community. There are many local groups seeking assistance in providing help to those in need.
I have registered as a NHS Volunteer Responder being operated by the Royal Voluntary Service and as a NHS Transport Volunteer in particular.
The role involves driving on behalf of a NHS service, e.g. GP, Pharmacy or Local Health Board. There are some necessities that people who are isolating may need, like medical equipment or a prescription. You could be delivering to an isolating person or another NHS service.
Plenty of information on the role on the NHS website on how this service operates and how the GoodSAM app sends you alerts and notifications if you chose to be “On Duty”. This is all subject to verification of your registration and the necessary identification checks being conducted.
Could be delivering items in the E type or in the M2 !
Regards,
Dave
Last edited by 44DHR on Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Rose
1967 Series 1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

chrisfell
St Lucia

#39 Re: Can we go for a drive??

Post by chrisfell » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:19 pm

:yeahthat:

First outing for this purpose will be next week. We are currently helping two of our neighbours with their shopping as they are over 70 and are observing the advice not to leave home for any reason.
Chris '67 S1 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic