Concourse condition?

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Robbiee

#1 Concourse condition?

Post by Robbiee » Fri May 22, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi all
Just saw this add from Peter Bradfield Ltd in Octane magazine
“Original RH, restores to concourse condition and up-rated with 5 speed gearbox”!
My ‘62 coupe is restored and has a 5 speed gearbox which was my choice and makes cruising on tour very relaxed...indeed many of us have upgrades which we choose and are happy with.
My RHD March ‘62 OTS in restoration will not be having any upgrades and I’m using the original parts to do the job. I will be driving it as much as possible with hopefully all ots “period” features. (I’m not a “trailer to show it off” owner)

My point is ...What does concourse mean??
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

budmarston@aol.com
United States of America

#2 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by budmarston@aol.com » Fri May 22, 2020 12:43 pm

Concours is short for Concours d'Elegance (French: concours d'élégance), a term of French origin that means a "competition of elegance" and refers to an event where classic and prestigious vehicles are displayed and judged.

The emphasis is as much on originality as the condition. The general aim is to present a vehicle that is in the same, or even better, condition than it was in when it left the production line. Unless original, modifications are not allowed, and components must be suitable for the year and model of the automobile. Even components or features fitted to automobiles of the same type, but in a different production year or trim level, are not allowed. Original-equipment accessories from the manufacturers' own range are allowed and some competitions allow after-market equipment and accessories, provided they are of the correct period. The automobiles must be presented in flawless visual condition, as with other Concours-grade cars.

Numerous local organizations sponsor Concours events. Traditionally, vehicle judging at a Concours is more demanding than that of a neighborhood or general automobile show. Trained judges examine the vehicle thoroughly. They rate each and every component. Only those vehicles that are judged perfect (or very nearly so) in every way are considered eligible for trophy class. Often, the competitiveness of a Concours d'Elegance forces restoration of a vehicle to surpass "mint" condition. Mint condition would be the state of the vehicle when it originally left the factory. Concours-quality cars are often given upholstery, paint, plating, and mechanical restoration to a standard far exceeding that of the car when it was new.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by 1954Etype » Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm

I thought concourse was a walkway!
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#4 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by Series1 Stu » Fri May 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Low hanging fruit, Angus!

:lol:
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Jeremy
Great Britain

#5 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by Jeremy » Sat May 23, 2020 2:04 pm

Same root....Latin concurs = run together...
Jeremy
1967 S1 4.2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#6 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by Heuer » Sat May 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Concours is French and means 'competition' - so Concours d'élégance is a competition for the most elegant. It dates back to 17th-century France, where aristocrats paraded horse-drawn carriages in the parks of Paris during summer weekends and holidays. The competitiveness of a Concours d'Elegance forces restoration of a vehicle to surpass "mint" condition. Mint condition is the state of the vehicle when it originally left the factory.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Robbiee

#7 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by Robbiee » Sat May 23, 2020 4:17 pm

Ok
So the ad is misleading if modern changes made to the car?
Robbie 1962 3.8 Coupe OSG 1962 OTS ODG

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#8 Re: Concourse condition?

Post by Heuer » Sat May 23, 2020 4:54 pm

Not necessarily, it depends on the rules for a particular competition. The rules in the US may be different from those in the UK for a model or marque. Some may allow modern enhancements, others not so. Very few if any concours winning E-Type's would get past our 'Factory Fit' research allowing for the fact the judges are volunteers and need to have knowledge across a wide range of the marque's models.

So the term "restored to concours condition" is pretty meaningless and nobody could really argue with its veracity.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic