Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#1 Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by Barry » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:02 am

Every E-type I have owned (4), has suffered from the bonnet shaking from side to side on our typical British “B” roads. It’s not the shaking that bothers me, but the same accompanying rattle. It’s not especially loud, but I am sure many of you have the same problem. It’s the only rattle on my car, and just annoying! Call me OCD, but does anyone know of an easy cure. I have fitted new rubbers on the guides on each side, and adjusted so you have to gently push each side down before clamping it tight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ALAN COCHRANE
Great Britain

#2 Re: Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by ALAN COCHRANE » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:31 am

Barry

I have to shove down hard to get the locks to engage. The first lock always needs your other hand pushing down the bonnet to allow it to slide home. The second lock then engages without assistance. When they’re subsequently released the bonnet stays firmly down on the bulkhead seal. I have had no rattles from the bonnet in the whole time I’ve owned the car.
So it maybe that you need to adjust the locks for a tighter fit to eliminate the rattle.

Cheers

Alan
Alan Cochrane

1961 S1 OTS,1968 Triumph TR250, 1971 Triumph GT6 Mk3, 2008 Porsche Boxster RS60 Spyder

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#3 Re: Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by bitsobrits » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:18 pm

Also, the rubber 'donuts' that are part of of the bonnet locks must be present, and not perished.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Heuer
Administrator
Great Britain

#4 Re: Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by Heuer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:25 pm

Never had bonnet shake on my cars. It was a problem on the OBL cars which is why they changed over to internal locks. As others have said a matter of ajustment and making sure the rubbers are in good condition.
David Jones
S1 OTS OSB; S1 FHC ODB
1997 Porsche 911 Guards Red

Add your E-Type to our World Map: http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1810

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#5 Re: Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by abowie » Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:33 pm

Really the only thing you can do is ensure that the locating pegs are a rock solid fit into the latch hole when you crank the locking mechanism fully around.

The rubber buffer on the peg is not there to hold the bonnet still, and the rubber seal on the scuttle is really only there to prevent water ingress and protect the paintwork.

Finally, if you find your locking latches inside the car rattle, roll an appropriate sized O ring over the latch so it sits between the latch and the chrome escutcheon.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Barry
Great Britain

#6 Re: Bonnet (hood) shake on bumpy roads

Post by Barry » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:25 am

Thanks guys. I thought I had adjusted each side for tight fit, but clearly not! It is really tight now, and solved the problem.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic