Stoneleigh spares day

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
tim wood
Great Britain

#1 Stoneleigh spares day

Post by tim wood » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Just noticed that this is now cancelled.

Tim
Series 1 FHC purchased 40 years ago. Courted my wife in it.
Series 1 2+2 when the kids were small now sold.
Series 1.5 OTS in opalescent maroon, Californian car. My retirement present.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#2 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by christopher storey » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:18 pm

It will be interesting to see whether it ever reappears, because attendance both by public and by stall holders has been dropping steadily in the last 2 years or so. I always felt it was a great mistake for the joint JDC/JEC control of it to be farmed out to an individual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#3 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by JulianBarratt » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:48 pm

In reponse to the above ref control of Stoneleigh, the event had actually been passed onto the JDC for either the October 2019 show or the March 2020 event (i dont recall which) so its really bad luck for them in terms of timing and i know they had some plans to refresh the format.
It would be a real shame if it doesnt re-appear as i was always a huge fan of the day but perhaps twice a year was no longer neccesary...
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MarekH
Great Britain

#4 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by MarekH » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:11 pm

Dear Christopher,

That depends on the individual. John Salway used to run a bi-weekly auction on Saturday mornings at a venue local to me in Godalming. One day I bought something I couldn't carry home and explained that I didn't have a car. Despite the fact that it was nothing to do with him, he dropped the item round later that afternoon, gratis. The first time I went to Stoneleigh, we both did a double take when we saw each other.

Imagine how terrible the event would be if it were run by a committee, none of whom know what they are doing. They farmed it out for a reason. Many years later, they may have learnt the ropes sufficiently to take it back. It'd be sad to see the internet kill this off the way the same way it did the Farnham Maltings swapmeet.

kind regards
Marek

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#5 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by christopher storey » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:23 pm

Marek : Jaguar Spares Day was run very successfully by the JDC/JEC joint enterprise for many years , certainly from about 1993 onwards . There was absolutely no suggestion that "they didn't know what they were doing" . It was never very clear why they decided to give up on it, and it became apparent in the last few years that despite Salway's efforts people were starting to lose interest. I agree absolutely that it is a shame, and that the internet is no substitute, but it seems to be one of the facts of life. It would be interesting to know if the similar days run in relation to MGs and to Minis are beginning to hit choppy water - the last Mini do I went to was very well attended both by punters and exhibitors, but that was at Stafford showground which is a rather more user friendly venue than Stoneleigh

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

1954Etype
Great Britain

#6 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by 1954Etype » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:26 pm

IIRC the event was run by the now defunct JCC? We had a stall in March and have to say, picked up quite a bit of business even though it was quiet (Julians mob weren't there ;) ).
Angus 67 FHC 1E33656
61 OTS 875047

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#7 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by christopher storey » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:42 am

Angus _ I've just looked it up in Graham Searle's history of the JEC, and you are quite right , it was a joint venture between JEC and JCC rather than JDC as I had thought . Perhaps it was the demise of the JCC which caused the JEC to give it up - it was one of those curious things about which there was silence !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#8 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by mgcjag » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:39 am

Hi Christopher....my understanding is that the Spares day is now a JDC event....listed here at companies house
as JDC Spares day Ltd https://find-and-update.company-informa ... y/11758895
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

PeterCrespin
United States of America

#9 Re: Stoneleigh spares day

Post by PeterCrespin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:41 pm

If Angus spread a few cowpats around his car park twice-yearly and organised a few clattering sheets of corrugated iron, he’d do us all a favour.
1E75339 UberLynx D-Type; 1R27190 70 FHC; 1E78478; 2001 Vanden Plas

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic