Sng manifolds.

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Geoff Allam
Canada

#1 Sng manifolds.

Post by Geoff Allam » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:00 pm

There is a recent thread on the Jag Lovers forum where it is claimed by two people who have used them that the SNG enamelled manifolds stand up in the long term (up to 5 years and counting). They have had no crazing or chipping under normal driver usage, not show car usage. Has anyone had similar experience with these manifolds? I would also be interested in comments from Julian Barratt if possible.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration
64 series 1 fhc burning lots of oil
53 xk 120 fhc sitting in garage waiting for attention

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fred
United States of America

#2 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by Fred » Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:59 pm

I bought two from them about 5 years ago and after just a few thousand miles in that time, they started to flake the ceramic coating.
Fred

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#3 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by mgcjag » Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:06 pm

There are running in procedures for the SNGB enamel manifolds....so to get like for like comparisons its worth knowing if the running in procedures were followed by anyone thats fitted them....Steve
Steve
1969 S2 2+2 & Building a C type replica

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Geoff Allam
Canada

#4 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by Geoff Allam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:09 am

So that is one no so far. As steve says perhaps including if you followed the break in procedure to the letter would be instructive.
Geoff Allam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Fred
United States of America

#5 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by Fred » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Yes, I followed the break in procedure, but good question.
Fred

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JulianBarratt
Great Britain

#6 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by JulianBarratt » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:35 pm

Sorry for the slightly slow reponse on this. I will try to give a bit of history as well as our view on the lasting of the finish.

We started making these exhaust manifolds at least 25 years ago (in fact one of the first jobs i ever recall being set in my school holidays was separating out the XK manifolds from the E-type versions when they came back from machining - so its a long time ago). Over that time, the challenge of producing these manifolds has not become easier as the tooling has become worn and the companies able to get the finish that we required on them became less and less. In the last few years, we were having ever more production rejects after the casting stage and getting a good casting is the key to getting a really good finish on the final product.

This being the case, we took the decision last year to go back to the drawing board and retool these manifolds from scratch - using an original pair of manifolds as the starting point and these brand new manifolds are the ones we are selling now and they look great and we are having a much easier time getting the finish we require. There are some photos in the "new parts" section of this forum.

Onto the actual question in terms of how long these will last and we have always given the same response on this - that the finish may last you 1 year and they may last you 10 years and the only guarantee from SNG Barratt is around the function and fit of the part, not the appearance. We give instructions with each set of manifolds sold as to the best way to ensure longevity of the finish and, for sure, if you get the car piping hot and then open the bonnet(hood) and spray water onto the engine - the manifolds will crack.

There are customers who have seen these last for many years (though it would appear no forum users who are prepared to come forward yet) and the work/investment that we have undertaken in the last year to replace the tooling should certinaly make a difference in terms of the chances of getting a pair that will last well.

Additionally, we make all the manifolds we offer available as un-enammeled versions too - should you wish to arrange your own coating (i know there are folks on here who like BBQ paint etc).

I realise that this is not exactly a conclusive answer to your question but its an hoest one and the point i am making is that we do all we can to ensure a good finish (and following our instructions will give you the best chance of longevity) and offer the alternative so that you can arrange your own finish should you wish.
MD at SNG Barratt Group
Enthusiastic owner/driver of a couple of complete E-types as well as a warehouse or two of parts...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Geoff Allam
Canada

#7 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by Geoff Allam » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:00 pm

Thank you Julian.
Geoff Allam

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Philk
Great Britain

#8 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by Philk » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:32 am

Absolutely..... Thank you Julian for that post. Very interested to hear about the work you did last year on these and absolutely understand what you're saying re the finish.
Phil
1964 S1 3.8 OTS

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ysmalkie
Poland

#9 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by ysmalkie » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:07 pm

Julian,

You should probably add that if the carburettors are unbalanced, they will crack as well. One will be much hotter than the other and this will cause cracks sooner or later.

BTW, there are enamelling companies here in Poland still, if you loose the one you have now contact me. They have done a number of manifolds for me and none cracked yet. :-)

Tadek
Tadek

e-type S1 3.8 FHC - in restoration phase...
Jaguar XK120 OTS
Austin-Healey 100 BN2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gtjoey
United States of America

#10 Re: Sng manifolds.

Post by gtjoey » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:36 pm

Many reproduction parts are not up to par, but in the case of these manifolds , they are wonderful.
Julian and his team have really created a product that , lets be honest is actually BETTER than original!
Ive installed over 10 sets, if your TIMING, FUEL MIXTURE and overall condition of the engine is in good order, they will last a very long time.
If you follow the break in instructions it will help.
Some sets are almost 8 years and I still haven't had cracking.
There will always be a little tweek here or there with the stud openings but other than that they are great!
Geoff, You know I work closely with Will in New Hampshire, the service has been great and for a company that is dealing with parts over 55 years old, I think they do a great job!
The biggest issue ALL jaguar owners have is to actually start the car and drive!
Now put on a new set........do 100,000 miles before the battery swap comes and ...
ENJOY YOUR ETYPE!
GTJOEY1314
THE 60TH IS ALMOST HERE....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic