Parts from USA

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
grb90
Great Britain

#1 Parts from USA

Post by grb90 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:04 am

Morning all and a happy New year. Whilst it's not so good at the moment there is light on the horizon...
Question time.. Importing stuff from America to the UK... If I order some panels from Monocoque Metalworks, can anyone enlighten me as to import duty, vat, etc etc that needs to be considered ???
Many thanks
Guy
Guy
1956 Series 1 Land rover
1970 4.2 Series 2 " project"!
1991 Defender 90 200tdi

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mgcjag
Great Britain

#2 Re: Parts from USA

Post by mgcjag » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:18 am

Hi Guy....have you google searched " tax and duty importing from USA".....Steve
Steve
69 S2 2+2 (just sold) ..Realm C type replica, 1960 xk150fhc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JerryL770
Great Britain

#3 Re: Parts from USA

Post by JerryL770 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:06 am

This is something I've been wondering about too. However, the obvious result of your search Steve, would be to look on gov.uk and this results in total bafflement for me. Much easier I found is this:

https://www.simplyduty.com/calculate-uk ... uty-taxes/

Whether the duty/VAT will change due to Brexit, I do not know, but I doubt it.
Jerome Lunt
1970 S2 FHC - Dark Blue, Red Interior, MX5 Seats
2008 MX-5 NC PRHT

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

UK Muppet

#4 Re: Parts from USA

Post by UK Muppet » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am

Hi Guy,
It is quite a subject working out commodity codes and duty etc. Better to call the help line and get their advice. I did a quick search and would say that Commodity Code 8708291000 https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk ... 8708291000 would be correct for the import and that would mean you pay 20% VAT on the goods and transport costs and no duty. This code is for vehicle parts, other parts and accessories of bodies. But still better to check with HMRC. It is the responsibility of the exporter to classify the goods correctly. Chuck should know exactly what the code is, as he has been doing this for years.
If there was any duty to be paid it would only be a small percentage based on some of the imports I made from the US, if I remember correctly it was around 2.5%.
Better if you can combine the purchase with a trip to the USA and bring everything back in your luggage. I did it once with a complete set of body panels for a Model T Ford Tourer, everything went into a bicycle box and I just paid $90 excess baggage (bargain) and Customs at Manchester airport didn't want to know when I tried declaring everything.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Tony
Tony
69 Series 2 2+2 auto

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Kember17
Great Britain

#5 Re: Parts from USA

Post by Kember17 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:34 pm

UK Muppet wrote:
Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:39 am
Hi Guy,
It is quite a subject working out commodity codes and duty etc. Better to call the help line and get their advice. I did a quick search and would say that Commodity Code 8708291000 https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk ... 8708291000 would be correct for the import and that would mean you pay 20% VAT on the goods and transport costs and no duty. This code is for vehicle parts, other parts and accessories of bodies. But still better to check with HMRC. It is the responsibility of the exporter to classify the goods correctly. Chuck should know exactly what the code is, as he has been doing this for years.
If there was any duty to be paid it would only be a small percentage based on some of the imports I made from the US, if I remember correctly it was around 2.5%.
Better if you can combine the purchase with a trip to the USA and bring everything back in your luggage. I did it once with a complete set of body panels for a Model T Ford Tourer, everything went into a bicycle box and I just paid $90 excess baggage (bargain) and Customs at Manchester airport didn't want to know when I tried declaring everything.
Hope this helps.
Regards
Tony
I’ve imported from Monocoque and I don’t recall any duty but I did pay VAT on the price and shipping. I left it to Monocoque to complete the paperwork and had no hitches.

It is sometimes worth having a look at the codes, however: I imported a Meridian Sooloos music server from the US once that was classified by the vendor (perfectly correctly) as a piece of IT equipment and free of duty. Another bit of Sooloos kit I bought was classified as HiFi by a different vendor and attracted duty IIRC.

But car parts are fairly incontrovertibly car parts, I suppose.

Peter
Peter

1966 LHD US Import Series 1 2+2 (undergoing full restoration)
1991 LHD Alfa Spider Series 4
2015 Porsche Panamera S

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Joes66
Great Britain

#6 Re: Parts from USA

Post by Joes66 » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:00 am

It may be worth waiting a bit if you can
The government do intend to scrap the European Union import taxes at some point i have heard
The us elections have thrown a temporary spanner in the works however and the new president needs to be inorgoated before a new trade deal with them can be put in place
However free trade ports are on the cards and a relaxing in general of import export taxes
While I am at it do they have door skins for 2+2 cars?
Joe
1969 series 2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic