Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Talk about E-Types here

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#1 Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by Leekade » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:15 pm

I’m in the final throes of putting my car back together after a bare metal respray. I’m wanting to put a rubber gasket between the centre bonnet panel and both wings to prevent the potential metal on metal rubbing (I know I’m going to have to do both edges, or parts of, due to the chrome finisher which run down to the headlights).

Has anyone else done this and can you recommend a specific product?

Thanks

Adrian
Adrian
1971 Series 3 2+2 RHD manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Geoff Allam
Canada

#2 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by Geoff Allam » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:42 pm

Why not just use thick rubber washers instead of the special thick steel washers where the bolts go through. Much simpler and same result. Not that there would be any rubbing of the flanges once the bolts were properly tightened anyways. A good heavy coat of epoxy primer followed by topcoat should be more than sufficient.
Geoff Allam
67 series1 ots under restoration

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

johnetype
Great Britain

#3 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by johnetype » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:01 am

I used nylon washers when I reassembled my bonnet for the same reason and they work well.

Rubber washers will allow too much flex.
John

1969 Series 2 FHC

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

abowie
Australia

#4 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by abowie » Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:47 am

Bad idea; you will just get rust in there and you won't be able to fit the chrome trim.

The panels are separated by 3mm thick washers which should be painted. This prevents water pooling in there.
Andrew.
881824, 1E21538. 889457. 1961 4.3l Mk2. 1975 XJS. 1962 MGB
http://www.projectetype.com/index.php/the-blog.html
Adelaide, Australia

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

265bhp
Great Britain

#5 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by 265bhp » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:39 pm

+1 for nylon washers....seemed obvious to me..less material to be subject to rust
1963 3.8 FHC ..now finished …………….
1974 2.7 Carrera now as an RS Touring

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#6 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by christopher storey » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:00 am

I am not keen on the idea of nylon washers, because I feel they may be too malleable/compressible, and will allow the nuts and bolts which secure the wings to the centre section to loosen over time . If you do use them, then I suggest a regular spanner check of at least a representative sample of the fastenings

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Topic author
Leekade
Great Britain

#7 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by Leekade » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:02 pm

Many thanks everyone, I’ll have a little rethink as to what solution I employ.

Cheers

Adrian
Adrian
1971 Series 3 2+2 RHD manual

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bitsobrits
United States of America

#8 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by bitsobrits » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:51 am

christopher storey wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:00 am
I am not keen on the idea of nylon washers, because I feel they may be too malleable/compressible, and will allow the nuts and bolts which secure the wings to the centre section to loosen over time . If you do use them, then I suggest a regular spanner check of at least a representative sample of the fastenings
I wouldn't be worried about this at all in this specific application. In the early part of my career, I worked as a design engineer for a company that produced production machinery for a variety of industries. Nylon was frequently used in the food industries as a semi- structural component and a bearing material in many applications as it has similar properties to basic aluminum, including compressive strength, without the corrosion worries. There are of course different grades of nylon, but even the most basic have a compressive strength of 40-50 MPa, which is harder than the softer grades of aluminum which are close to 30 MPa.
Steve
'65 S1 4.2 FHC (early)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Series1 Stu
Great Britain

#9 Re: Bonnet Panel Gaskets

Post by Series1 Stu » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:54 am

I can't agree with that comment.

Even the weakest aluminium has a tensile strength of 130 MPa whereas a polyamide (say, Nylon) would have something like 40 MPa tensile strength. Compressive strength is not commonly quoted as it is generally a given that materials are stronger in compression than in tension.

Worse than this though is nylon's propensity to creep under load, so it will change shape and a washer under compression will get thinner in time and therefore reduce the holding load of the joint. Okay, so all materials theoretically will creep under load but metals not to such an extent as plastics materials.

When you change the nylon bushes in your dash panel or all those ones in the 3.8 Kelsey Hayes brake set-up you will see that they have not so much worn as they have deformed under load.

You might get away with nylon spacers but I wouldn't risk it with the thought of having to take it all apart and start again.

Regards
Stuart

If you can't make it work, make it complicated!

'62 FHC - Nearing completion
'69 Daimler 420 Sovereign
'78 Land Rover Series 3 109

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic