Topic author
Drive35
Great Britain

#1 UK changing to E10 fuel

Post by Drive35 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Hi all
Just seen this on another site:
https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/fb ... cle-owners

Looks like its super unleaded for all my cars soon (even the daily)!
Geoff
1970 S2 2+2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lopena
United States of America

#2 Re: UK changing to E10 fuel

Post by lopena » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:31 pm

For what it’s worth, we’ve been using E10 gasoline here in New Jersey for the past 15 years. I haven’t noticed any drivability problems in any of my classic cars (3.8 E-type, MFI 911S, 328GTB) nor have I suffered any physical degradation in my fuel systems. Admittedly these cars are well looked after, including regular inspections of fuel lines, etc.

The horror stories I heard about E10 simply didn’t materialize in my particular case.

Alan
N.J.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cactusman
Great Britain

#3 Re: UK changing to E10 fuel

Post by cactusman » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:39 pm

IMO the gloom and gloom stories are over blown. Use the car regularly so you don't wind up with stale fuel and ensure regular maintenance and particularly checking of rubber fuel lines and E10 is unlikely to cause major issues....it won't eat through your fuel tank and is unlikely to cause major issues with alloy carb parts unless allowed to stand and absorb water....which it will do very slowly! :bigrin: The biggest issue is likely to be that it is more prone to vapour locks in hot weather. XK engines are cross flow so the hot exhaust manifold area is away from the fuel supply and carburettors so even that issue is less likely....
Julian the E-type man
1962 FHC
1966 MGB....fab little car too

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

christopher storey
Great Britain

#4 Re: UK changing to E10 fuel

Post by christopher storey » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:44 pm

I agree with both Alan and Julian . In the 1960s i ran my various cars for years on Cleveland Discol where I could get it . This is now rumoured to have had a 25% alcohol content ( not surprising since it was a by-product of the Distillers' Company !) and I never had the slightest trouble

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic